Official Review: Midwinter Turns to Spring by Maria Veloso

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Midwinter Turns to Spring by Maria Veloso

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Midwinter Turns to Spring" by Maria Veloso.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Midwinter Turns to Spring, written by Maria Veloso, readers get to follow a creative, poetic, and heart-warming love story. It all starts when Cassidy Hamilton moves into a Victorian apartment in San Francisco and discovers the enthralling journal of Savannah Curtis in a cabinet drawer. Cassidy reads it avidly and learns that Savannah was an artist and art appraiser who lived in the apartment twenty-six years earlier. Back then, Savannah had an intense love affair with a handsome flamenco guitarist named Alfonso Madrigál, a Spanish expat born and raised at the Andalusian province of Málaga.

The couple met when Alfonso tried to authenticate a mysterious painting that could be the work of Picasso. A very brief but passionate affair followed. It was a secret one, also, for they were both in committed relationships. Cassidy wonders if things could have changed since then, and surprising events unfold. But no spoilers are permitted!

I was delighted by this book’s symbolism, metaphors, and artistic references. There’s even an accompanying soundtrack – eleven songs with lyrics written by the author – performed by a talented artist called Zendrik. I found these lovely ballads online, and I enjoyed listening to them. I particularly liked ‘La Ultima Vez’ (The Last Time).

I found Midwinter Turns to Spring to be a charming story of love and loss but also hope and redemption. It raises deep, age-old existential questions about love and relationships. Veloso is a marvelous storyteller, and her prose is lyrical and tasteful. Her writing style is imaginative and captivating. For instance, Alfonso “could still feel on his skin the humid breezes from the Mediterranean” and hear “the muffled splash of the Mediterranean on the coastal shores, and the clang of the church bells every hour.” Above all, I enjoyed the several fascinating references to art, music, and literature, such as Garcia Lorca’s poems.

Additionally, I admired the way Veloso skillfully switched points of view throughout the novel. The story begins narrated in the first person by Cassidy, but the narration shifts to the third person as readers get to follow Alfonso and Savannah’s tale a couple of decades before. Ultimately, after Cassidy becomes part of the story, she finishes its narration.

Lastly, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because I felt that the editing is not yet in its most polished form. Although the grammatical errors were not serious (unnecessary commas for the most part), they were numerous and necessitated the deduction of a star. I would surely give this book the maximum score if the errors got fixed, for there was nothing I disliked about it. Midwinter Turns to Spring is an enjoyable read that I believe will appeal to readers who are fond of romantic dramas.

Midwinter Turns to Spring
View: on Bookshelves
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I think I would enjoy reading this novel. I think a well written soundtrack adds to the appeal of the romantic drama.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I was delighted by this book’s symbolism, metaphors, and artistic references. There’s even an accompanying soundtrack – eleven songs with lyrics written by the author – performed by a talented artist called Zendrik. I found these lovely ballads online, and I enjoyed listening to them. I particularly liked ‘La Ultima Vez’ (The Last Time).
This sounds like something I would also enjoy. Thanks for the excellent review and recommendation!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

mmm17 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 13:25 There’s even an accompanying soundtrack – eleven songs with lyrics written by the author – performed by a talented artist called Zendrik. I found these lovely ballads online, and I enjoyed listening to them. I particularly liked ‘La Ultima Vez’ (The Last Time).
I was curious about the music that accompanied this book. Thank you for referencing it. Wonderful review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like an artistically interesting read. U got me at the symbolism and metaphors! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

An amazing love story and as a fan of this genre, I look forward to reading this amazing book. Many thanks for the well-written review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

I am definitely intrigued by your review, looking forward to read this.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This reminds me a bit of Julie and Julia, though obviously it's different. I like the way it's framed and that Cassidy herself eventually becomes involved. It sounds quite romantic and very beautiful, to be honest with you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I haven't read this book before but as per your review, the book sounds amazing. I mostly attracted to it because it has been accompanied by some songs, something I find so unique and attractive.
Books are beautiful.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I really look forward to the surprising events and how they unfold. Thanks for the review
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

I also read this book and found it very enjoyable. I especially liked the music that seemed to tie it all together. Great review!
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
nidhi_27
Favorite Book: A Thousand Boy Kisses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-27.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by nidhi_27 »

I have read the book and loved it. I also liked your review as much. You have explained everything in a perfect manner.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”