Review by Dee_218 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by Dee_218 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Dee_218 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A book about the 'oddest pair of war heroes'. Heartaches – Bad Boy Vibes by H. M. Irwing is a novel based on a fictitious story where 19-year-old Anna has a life marked with more woes than freedom. Anna, the protagonist, finds herself in repetitive assault and harassment situations and these actions come from her ex-lover-turned enemy, Matthew Preston. Anna and her mom live together after both Anna's dad and stepdad passed away. They also live with the murderous stepson, Brian. Anna's mom is startled when Anna makes a decision to leave home and go to the army school with her protector, Rafael. Anna's inflamed new love also has a past of his own. They both struggle with battles that threaten their sanity and the wounds ran deeper than fathomable. Both their woes and looming villains are threatening. Will they be able to fight the war waged on them? Will justice prevail? Will they find peace and start building their lives afresh without worrying about their enemies ever again?

I loved how the story is well balanced. Some scenes were fast-paced and others were not which all blended coherently. As a reader, I was able to be emotive, responsive and also anticipate what events would unfold next. An example would be when Anna was talking to her best friend Pat about her past and to her demise her lover overheard her saying how hot her ex Matthew Preston made her feel, considering all the traumas both sadistic and inhumane that Matt put Anna through. I found myself protesting against her and almost not wanting to read through but then that's the beauty of highly engaging and well-written plots. Anna's lover found himself having to punish Anna sexually to ensure that Anna never thought of her ex ever again.

The novel depicts Anna's sexual life as revolving around a sadistic and lusty nature. Sometimes I found myself asking if Anna and her lover were truly in love or was it attachment, lust, and infatuation. Anna's relationship with her ex had also been lusty, dodgy and, to her shock, cunning in its nature. Characters were introduced in a well-delivered manner and were woven into the development of the entire story pretty well. I absolutely loved it when Pat was introduced. He brought life, light, and ease into Anna's world and to that of the reader's. Anna's sexual life confused me and made me think that both she and her lover were confused themselves because the lust depicted was exorbitant.

The author uses profane language to express certain body parts and to relate to certain actions. There are numerable erotic scenes and the use of profanity during these scenes. The nature of the novel is not a heavy read and can be read by the faint-hearted, however, it has dark elements to it as well as events that make you question how our psyches work, how our bodies work and whether our considerations for right and wrong are relevant in life. The author artistically expresses inner woes and conflicts. For this reason, the novel can be read by people interested in psychology and human behavior.

The dark elements of the book are not unrealistic in reality. Surely every person has been affected by many events that unfold in the novel in one way or another and these events make the book a great read to pick up. Anna, her mom, Anna's lover, and his family are all beautifully built characters with warmth, love, hope, courage and mostly full of life despite living in a cold world. Anna's mom was depicted as a much weary and worn-out character but still had some life and humility in her despite all her woes. The story will have a sequel to it. I would love to find out what happens next and I am obviously hoping that justice prevails for Anna and her lover.

I cannot judge the author for making me feel confused and uncomfortable in some cases. I also cannot deduct any points for characters having over-zealous sexual natures within them. These vices were clearly the author's intention. The novel was well written and poetic. The authors sentencing and sentence structure brought life to her choice of words. I could tell the author is a creative writer. "As with all things nocturnal, the light of day chased the nightmares away." You could find such creative writing throughout the novel. For the reasons mentioned above I give Heartaches – Bad Boy Vibes
by H. M. Irwing a 4 out of 4. To be read by groups from the age of 20 upwards. The novel cannot be read by extremely sensitive people and people who are conservative in nature. The novel was also professionally edited and I saw no errors.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Kahler Files #1--More or Less than Human by Eric Safflind

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a good book, but a little dark for my preference. Also, I prefer to read books that are standalone novels. Thank you for a wonderful review, though!

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Prisallen wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 08:33
This sounds like a good book, but a little dark for my preference. Also, I prefer to read books that are standalone novels. Thank you for a wonderful review, though!
Thank you so much for popping by and commenting. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”