Review by dianaterrado -- Followed my Star by AR Annahita

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by dianaterrado -- Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by dianaterrado »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Followed my Star by AR Annahita is a beautifully-told love story. It tells the author's journey of finding true love. It's a short read that narrates how Annahita met her now husband, Chris, went thru the struggles of falling in love and making that love last despite all odds.

When AR Annahita and Chris first met, the connection was instantaneous. It was as what you might expect a first love to be like. It was shy and hesitant but expectant and beautiful. And it was not without its complications. Annahita and Chris come from two very different backgrounds. AR Annahita is an Iranian living in Germany and Chris is an American soldier. When Chris proposed to Annahita, they both struggled to decide where to live. Who would give way to keep the relationship going?

The author writes very beautifully about love. Which is ironic, considering she's actually quite distrustful of men. She did not have good male role models growing up. She thinks that relationships will inevitably end with betrayal. However, falling in love with Chris showed her differently. I liked seeing their relationship grow and develop. The portrayal was believable and realistic. It was far from perfect, as all relationships are, but it was beautiful and sweet.

There were other minor characters introduced throughout the book. Unfortunately, they were all mentioned in passing and had no real impact to the story. I found this quite disappointing. I do like to read books with strong main and secondary characters. I feel like they add more depth and insight to the story.

The author's take on religion and God is refreshing. She doesn't believe in the version of God that the Bible or the Quran describes. God to her is whoever and whatever she believes God to be. It is not dictated by anything. She finds freedom in this way of thinking and feels safe in this belief. I have never seen God or religion put in this way before. And quite frankly? I think it's good.

The author also tackled the vast difference between America and Germany in terms of culture, religion and economy. It was quite insightful.

Followed my Star is a lyrical and an emotionally driven book. The author's writing was incredibly engrossing. AR Annahita wrote with so much passion and this was evident in every page. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. There were no noticeable errors in grammar and spelling. The book was well-edited.

I would recommend Followed my Star to anyone looking for a book that is romantic,
heartwarming, inspirational and at times, heartbreaking. It's a sweet and wonderful story that makes one believe in true love.

Followed my Star
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a lovely love story.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The struggle in bringing together two cultures will always be interesting, but it might have been served better with stronger minor characters. Still, I think this could be a lovely story, just not one for me.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

This sounds like a very beautiful story! I don’t usually read romance, but I may have to check this one out.
~Roxie~
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

This sounds like a beautiful, deep love story! A shame about the lack of good secondary characters - I, too, quite like seeing those as they give such depth to a story. Thank you for this insightful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”