Official Review: Highlander Unknown by Claudia Wilson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Highlander Unknown by Claudia Wilson

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Highlander Unknown" by Claudia Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s not to love about a Scottish romance novel? Dashing men in kilts, fiery lasses, and the inevitable fireworks that occur when the twain meet. Claudia Wilson gives the reader all that and more in her debut novel, Highlander Unknown. Susan Stewart is a young and boisterous woman awaiting the arrival of Alexander McDonald just a few days prior to their arranged marriage. Though she is promised to a man she has yet to meet, an unknown wedding guest has caught Susan’s eye and has stolen more than a few kisses from her.

To say that Alex McDonald is pleasantly surprised by his bride-to-be is an understatement. His desire to learn more about Susan before their big day has led him to sneak into her keep and hide his true identity from her until their marriage is sealed with a kiss. The happy couple does not have long to enjoy their honeymoon stage because someone is actively trying to harm Susan. Alex and his men must find out who is behind the attacks and what is motivating the aggressor to harm his new wife.

Wilson weaves a tale of harmless deception, anticipation, and intrigue that will keep readers guessing. In addition to the obligatory romance plot, there is a very complex mystery that spans multiple clans and keeps the reader guessing for much of the book. Her writing keeps you invested in the affable characters and immensely interested in the unfolding plot against Susan and Alex.

While the romantic thread of the plot is cute and captivating, the book can have a tendency to drag on when dealing with the politics behind the attempts on Susan’s life. Characters suddenly appear that aren’t always fully explained, and the dialogue can feel a bit repetitive and banal. Aside from a healthy number of grammatical errors, there were accidental inconsistencies that may be distracting for some readers. I noticed a mention of harvesting lemons when lemons were not yet cultivated that far north in Europe. Also inconsistent to the time period was an obsession with constant bathing and cleanliness. The ending of the book wraps up very suddenly despite a meticulous buildup.

I think that some time with an experienced editor would take this fun book to the next level. There were enough enjoyable aspects to make up for the errors I encountered. While this is a historical romance novel, it is written in a modern manner that would appeal to lovers of classic historical romances as well as those into novels that tend more toward new adult. Since this book has so much great potential, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Highlander Unknown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really into romance, and men in kilts have never really done much for me (I know! I know! I'm unusual.). I'm glad you enjoyed this one; it sounds like a nice enough story, despite the editing issues. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Shame about the anachronisms in an otherwise promising historical romance.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

This sounds like a promising romance, despite the few inconsistencies and errors. You must have a keen eye to spot the mistakes with the lemons and bathing issues. Well done!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a good book for a lazy summer day. Thanks for the recommendation!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I agree wih the previous person's comment. This sounds like a good summer read, especially if I were sitting on a beach somewhere. The cover of this book is very appealing to me. The fact that the author built in a good mystery also draws me to this story. Thanks for an excellent review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

You had me at "dashing men in kilts"! The plot sounds intriguing in spite of the sudden entrance of some characters and the errors. Thank you for a most enjoyable review!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I don't see anything unique about the romance but the mystery behind the attacks on Susan is intriguing and worth following. I think I'll read it despite its sudden ending. So, thanks a lot for your awesome review. It's thoughtful and honest.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I love Scottish romances. That's why I liked the tv series Outlander so much. This book looks awesome it is definitely on my want to read list!
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds fun but the whole hidden identity thing is one of my least liked tropes outside of spy novels and superhero stories.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Well done on the review. I actually wished you were reading the whole story to me. I guess that I will just have to read the book.
donazmaxi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by donazmaxi »

This is like a promising romance, despite the mistakes made. The story line has a good history. It's very nice.
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

Great review! As someone who has never read this book but loves a good Scottish romance, I can't wait to pick up this book and start reading. I'm really intrigued by the mystery aspect, it's nice to see a little action in romance books. Amazing fact checking on the lemon cultivation and even the cultural context behind cleanliness and hygiene. I would have never spotted that while reading. I'm a little sad that the ending might not live up to what the book builds up to but I guess I'll only know if it's enough for myself once I finally read it. Thank you so much for this review, I don't normally pick up a lot of romance books nowadays since they seem to all sound the same but I live that this has that added twist of a mystery which from your review actually sounds well written up to a point.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Oh sounds like my kinda book, thanks for reviewing :D

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”