"The Mister" by EL James

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tabest41
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon "The Mister" by EL James

Post by tabest41 »

Spoilers!
2019 Aristocratic Romance set in England
I love all things Royal, especially English Royalty!
The Earldom is thrust upon the main Male Character (Maxim) after the death of his brother... Maxim has always lead a life of privilege & has never needed to have much responsibility since he was the "Spare Heir". As he's greiving the sudden death of his brother (The Earl of Trevethick) & learns he has inherited all of his brothers, property & responsibility, he meets his new, hot, young, foreign cleaning lady Alessia, who's story unfolds piece by piece throughout the book as Maxim gets to know her! Suddenly Maxim has to rescue her & in the process, finds himself falling in love! Little does he know, she's also falling in love with him!
Maxim takes her virginity & rescues her yet again from the clothes of unimaginable horrors! Then they both confess their love for each other & you think it's going to be "happy ever after" BUT! Alessia gets kidnapped by her betrothed (from Albania) & Maxim races off to save her again!
I thought the book was great, it kept me on my seat, & it was hard to put down, but the course of the book takes place over a period of 3 weeks... for 2 people in 2019, from 2 totally different worlds to fall in love that fast is a bit far fetched even for a romantic such as myself... Then they get engaged & are set to get married in a week as the book ends (for a total of 4 weeks from date of meeting to married!) again, far fetched... I would have liked to see more details, a longer courtship, more steamy details, and then an engagement, the wedding & then what happens after the honeymoon period... If the book had been a part of a series, I think it could have accomplished all of the above!
Again, Great book, just wish I could have savored it more like I did with the 50 Shades of Grey Series (which is by the same Author.
I also think this book would make a great movie!
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I like your review, however it would have been nice to have a quote from the book. Also it was hard to tell the paragraphs apart they are supposed to have spaces.

This book, based on your description seems like any other basic romance. I try to find romance books that are different but this one seems to take on a lot of common ideas. Im not interesting personally in this novel. Thanks for the review.
UnicornKnight
Favorite Author: Nora Sakavic
Currently Reading: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unicornknight.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 58836

Post by UnicornKnight »

I clicked on this review because I recognized EL James and was interested to see what she was writing nowadays. I think the concept is interesting, maybe I haven't been exposed to this kind of modern day aristocracy, I tend to find more of that in historical fiction. Normally I don't notice the length of time between events in a book but that is a very interesting point, how in modern times a 4 week romance really seems far fetched. I will definitely be checking this book out, even just to check out how modern aristocracy would be written.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

Oooh, I haven't read this yet. I guess I still have something to look forward to from EL James.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Ugh, are there no current romance novels where the protagonists actually take TIME to get to know each other??

The plot sounds like a Barbara Cartland novel haha, is there any BDSM as in Fifty Shades or is it just vanilla erotica??

Thanks for your review!
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I gave E.L. James a try once the fuss about the Shades movie began. I never picked up book two, and honestly, I preferred the movie as the book sounded as if it was written by a forteen-year-old.

The excerpts from The Mister I have read on media convinced me yet again - her writing did not get any better. Not to mention the plot is ridiculous (show me a single person who has NEVER seen a mobile phone!!! - yes, that would be the heroinne of the story). And then there is a British aristocrat with a completely Russian name and surname...

And I can only agree with you - nobody (especially not an aristocrat) falls in love and marries an illegal immigrant one month after meeting her.

Nope, not reading it... Especially when there are far better books worth reading.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

I like the sound of this book
AlyseHC3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlyseHC3 »

I have read the book and I have to say I am thoroughly disappointed. When I first read the description of the book it was very intriguing to the point of me stalking the internet to know the exact release date to buy it.
After buying it I rushed home and got myself some tea and got ready to indulge into this love story.
About halfway through I wanted to throw the book across the room, how this book is written makes the main female look weak and that she is a damsel in need of saving. I mean come on can this be anymore of a cliché.
I loved the Fifty Shades Trilogy and Christians POV, but what I loved the most was Anna’s growth throughout the books. How she became a strong and empowering character. This book gives me no inspiration other than using it as fire wood.
I hope this review helps any questioning readers.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

Although I am interested in reading the modern-day aristocracy element of this book, the whole idea of falling in love and marrying in the space of 4 weeks has put me off. I don't mind some farfetched storylines but that is taking it too far I think, especially as he is supposed to be an aristocrat and they tend to play things pretty careful so as not to cause controversy. Shame though this had the potential to be a good story.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”