Official Review: Follow Her Heart by M. L. Taylor

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing a single book or single series in each topic thread. Please set the title of the topic thread as the name of the book or series, and preferably include also the author's name if it fits. If you want to discuss a book in its entirety, i.e. you don't mind spoilers, please also include the word spoilers in the subject to warn users who may not want to read spoilers. If a thread does not have a clear spoiler warning, then it is against the forum rules to post spoilers in it. If you are an author or publisher, you may not start a topic about your own book; instead please click here to learn how to get your book or ebook reviewed.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Summer in Jane's Garden by Jane Huml
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Follow Her Heart by M. L. Taylor

Post by CommMayo » 05 May 2019, 15:41

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Follow Her Heart" by M. L. Taylor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aniela and Jessie grew up worlds apart. Aniela’s life was consumed with all of the trappings of 1840s high society England: fine gowns, lavish balls, and eager suitors waiting for her eighteenth birthday. Stolen at birth, Jessie lived the life of a street urchin, hustling to stay alive while living with her prostitute mother and barbaric step-brother. Their lives tangentially intersect when best friends Lucian and Jaylon become unwitting participants in the lives of both women.

At the bequest of her father and unbeknownst to the daughter, Lucian courts Aniela and asks her to marry him. Aniela can’t get a brief encounter with Jaylon out of her head and plans a trip to Boston prior to their wedding, only to have her ship sink with her on it before leaving the harbor. Meanwhile, a gravely injured Jessie escapes her step-brother’s violent advances for a final time and gains passage on the only ship to leave the harbor that night. Assuming his fiance’s inevitable demise, an anguished Lucian commands his ship to leave port unaware of the stowaway trying to pass as a young boy.

M.L. Taylor’s Follow Her Heart is an intriguing historic romance novel that predominantly focuses on the lives of Jessie and Lucian. The story takes the reader on a journey far from the gritty beginnings of Jessie’s miserable life. There is a fun balance of the pomp of the English nobility and the lives of the working class. Taylor includes the perfect amount of mystery to keep readers turning the pages to figure out the origins of Jessie’s life in addition to following the tumultuous romance between her and Lucian.

The plot is very interesting and does not disappoint as major revelations are exposed; however, the editing of the novel seriously falls short and does not do justice to the interesting tale weaved by the author. In addition to grammar and spelling errors, there are abrupt shifts in point of view and infrequent but cringe-worthy interpretations of slave dialect. Readers of modern romance novels or the new adult genre will need to force themselves to suspend belief throughout the novel in order to immerse themselves in this romance. This book is a slightly more modern version of the Fabio-covered paperbacks found in your mother’s cart at the supermarket.

All in all, I give this intriguing romance a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. As a lover of historical romance novels by authors like Paula Quinn or Maya Banks, this novel was a little too old-school romance for me. While Follow Her Heart could use another solid round of professional editing, lovers of Regency romance and rags-to-riches stories will really enjoy this novel. There is no cliffhanger ending for Jessie and Lucian, but you will absolutely want to run out and pick up the next novel in the series as soon as you turn the last page.

Follow Her Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 07 May 2019, 08:40

Romance isn't my genre, but you've made this sound appealing. It's really too bad about the editing issues; that is so easily fixed with a good proofreader. Still, I'm glad you were able to find some enjoyment in this one.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey Observed by Leigh Smyth, MD

Post by kdstrack » 07 May 2019, 11:41

The historical references and descriptions would be interesting. The blend of mystery and romance makes this seem like an easy weekend read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Three Graves by Zack Kaplan

Post by Prisallen » 07 May 2019, 14:38

This sound like an intriguing romance novel to read. I hope the author gets a good editor to fix the errors. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Reflection by Titan Frey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 07 May 2019, 18:23

The book sounds quite interesting. I like that the character's miserable upbringing
doesn't define their future.It is unfortunate that it isn't well edited. Great review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Meg98 » 07 May 2019, 21:38

This sounds like an interesting and unique read.... I love a good romance novel! Such a shame about the editing; it really can detract from the reading experience, even if the errors are minor. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Great review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rachel Lea » 08 May 2019, 14:27

Books in this genre are not really my thing, as I find the same types of plots tend to be rehashed over and over again, but your review was excellently written. Thank you!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Wilkister94 » 12 May 2019, 07:32

Follow Her Heart by M. L. Taylor sounds like an intriguing romances novel to read. I like the fact that the character's miserable upbringing
doesn't define their future. Great review.

Amy+++
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 700
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: Dark Ghost
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ » 16 May 2019, 08:58

I love historical novels and romance so I am very excited about this one.

Ibrahim Dirisu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibrahim Dirisu » Yesterday, 12:02

pretty interested in this one, love reading romance books and mostly historical blended........seems like my next book to read..thanks for recomendation

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”