Official Review: Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan?

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan?" by Julia Wilmot.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Julia Wilmot's Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan?, souls create a list of things they wish to accomplish before they are reborn in the human world. However, as soon as they are born they forget all about this list and need the help of guardian angels to accomplish their goals before their recall date. As the title implies, Emma Butler's plan has somehow slipped through the cracks in the system, and now she has to complete a number of major tasks, such as losing her job, falling in love, finding a new job, and being heartbroken, all within a ridiculously short amount of time. Angels hustle behind the scenes and sometimes stretch the definition of "free will" as they hurry to help Emma experience a full lifetime's worth of happiness and sorrow in just a few short days.

This book caught my attention as I had just finished reviewing a book that suggested a similar concept: souls deciding a "life plan" for themselves before being reborn on Earth. I was intrigued by the idea in the previous book and thought this would be a perfect way to see the concept in action, with the addition of a heavenly host to keep things rolling. More importantly, I knew it would be a short and comedic read, perfect for brightening my mood after a stressful day at work.

I was definitely right about it being comedic. Maybe not laugh-out-loud funny, but I found myself smiling throughout. Some of the supporting characters, such as the minor angels and Emma's friends, were my favorite characters. Something about Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan? made me feel like it could easily be turned into a movie without losing any of its charm. Parts of it were Hallmark-esque, very cheesy and predictable but also must-haves in the romantic comedy genre. There were a few little twists and turns within the plot that kept things exciting.

Unfortunately, I definitely think there are some things that could be improved upon. First of all, the first characters introduced are the angels. It was hard to connect with Emma even though she was the main character because before the readers even meet her, we're forced to listen to angels panic over how she's already messed things up. As free will is another important theme of the novel, I think it would have been prudent to introduce Emma first so we can see what she is like on an everyday basis before the angels start guiding her every move. At times it felt like she was just a puppet being used by the angels to move the story along, but I'm sure I would have been been more attached to her if I could have seen her true identity.

Another two things that go hand in hand are the author's writing style and poor editing. Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan? is Wilmot's debut novel, and I hate to say it, but it shows. At times the writing is over the top, with characters "doing jigs" and "striking victory poses." In many places, she "tells" the reader what is going on or what characters are thinking instead of "showing" them what is going on, etc. Also, some areas are very repetitive and can be boiled down into, "Character A was thinking about B. A wanted to tell C their thoughts about B, but couldn't. Finally, A opened their mouth and said, 'I've been thinking about B.'" A proper editor should have been able to help simplify these areas for a smoother reading experience. Also, they would have been able to catch some of the many errors I found. A majority of the errors were related to jumbled words, extra spaces in formatting, and misuse of punctuation.

I think the premise of Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan? is a great one. The story is original and the characters are likable. It's a short and simple read that doesn't require much thinking. However, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. If the editing issues were fixed and some of the writing smoothed out, I would happily give it three stars, perhaps even four. As it is, I can only give it 2 out of 4 stars. I would only recommend it to those who are looking for a light read and people who don't mind simple novels with some mistakes in them.

Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it's an interesting concept for sure, but not one I'm particularly fond of. For that reason as well as the issues you mention, I probably won't read this. I do hope that the author can take your constructive criticism, though, and rework this one just a bit. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Radiant3 »

From your comments, it does sound like a light, relaxing read with a nice bit of humour. Thanks for the great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like a book I would like to read, if the author fixed the problems that you found in it. Thanks for the review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Your review is really solid. I would have to think about the concept a little more, but I am not attracted to the idea of angels trying to set my life in course because the Bible reveals that, yes they are ministering spirits but that they will be judged by us... I guess this is a work of fiction, but it is not my cup of tea.. thanks for sharing.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, the nonfiction book I mentioned in my review is Imagining the Unimaginable, by Richard Rowe. You can see my review for it here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=98411

I really think that reading these two books together would be a great way to enjoy them. Without reading Imagining the Unimaginable I might not have been able to understand the concept of a "life plan" and might not have been able to enjoy that part of the novel as much, even though it's what makes it so unique.

Funnily enough, Where is Emma Butler's Life Plan? came out in 2015 and Rowe's book came out in 2018, so it's not as if Wilmot based her novel on Rowe's theories. That makes it even more unique!
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

Your review surprised me. This is definitely not what I expected from the book based on the title. Nice review.
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

You really did a great job with the review, I'd like to check out the booo
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like this author could be really promising with a good editor by her side.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It sounds like the concept behind the story is a good one, but it wasn't executed well.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

The story sounds unique, thank you for your honest review. I hope the author fixes the errors, as I think the book has the potential to be amazing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Um, wow. That's certainly something. I know there are books that don't introduce the main character first and it works, but I do agree with you here. It feels like not introducing Emma before the angels is a guaranteed way to make it feel like she's a puppet instead of an actual character. Such a pity because this is a good idea.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”