Official Review: The Divine-less Comedy by Sophia Florenza

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Official Review: The Divine-less Comedy by Sophia Florenza

Post by Ferdinand_otieno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Divine-less Comedy" by Sophia Florenza.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Divine-less Comedy by Sophia Florenza is a paranormal reverse harem novel. It is the first book in the Divine-less Series. The book follows the adventures of the protagonist, Seraphim, as she attempts to save seven archangels and one pure soul from the Nine Circles of Hell. The book is categorized as an adult fiction book.

Seraphim (Sera) has a normal life working as a cashier for a pharmacy. Her life changes on her twenty-first birthday. While going to a club called Assissi with her friends, Sera meets an attractive guy called Virgil who offers to buy her a drink. Little does she know that the drink consists of holy fire. The drink makes her see through angelic glamour. She realizes that her friends, as well as the bartender, are all angels. When Virgil asks her to go with him, her friends seem to agree with him, a stranger. She tries to leave the club only to be knocked unconscious by Virgil. Virgil drives her to a nightclub called 'The Inferno.' Sera learns that it is run by demons and that it has a portal to hell. She meets the archangel Gabriel who runs the club. Sera finds herself uncontrollably attracted to the corrupted archangel. She ends up sleeping with him only to learn that Gabriel is one of her eight mates. Sleeping with him has cemented the mating bond between them, much to Gabriel's disappointment. Sera and her two mates use the portal to hell and end up close to the River Styx. They meet Charon, the mythical ferryman, who happens to be a beautiful woman with unnaturally white hair. While on the boat, Sera trains her new angelic abilities. She has to train with Gabriel who she is emotionally frustrated with. Will she succeed in saving the seven archangels? Will her bond with Gabriel be mended? Will she survive the Nine Circles of Hell? Is Sera an angel or a mortal? All these questions will be answered in this amazing book.

This book incorporated a unique mythical story. I liked how the angelic mythology and Greek mythology were mixed seamlessly. It made me appreciate the author's unique take on some commonly known ideas. Making Charon an attractive woman was so unprecedented that I had to stop reading and laugh. The book has a healthy dose of sarcasm and pop-culture references that were used to make the humour original. The protagonist, on seeing Charon for the first time, says, "The gangplank lowers and down the wet dream descends." This is a book full of steamy sexual scenes and references, making it a strictly adult book. The author created a protagonist using sarcasm, pessimism, and bland honesty. She was a very lovable protagonist. I always wanted her to master her abilities and to conquer the Nine Circles of Hell. Lucifer is written as a very cunning antagonist in this book. His main goal is to prevent the protagonist from meeting her mates and effectively saving them.

The book had a lot of themes that were used to enrich the plot. The main theme I encountered was religion. The protagonist has three friends who are angels. She is also destined to mate with seven archangels and a pure soul. Another major theme I encountered was secrecy. Sera's parents have known about her destiny since she was a child and have kept it a secret. Sera's friends have also been keeping the secret that they are her guardian angels, sent to protect her until the time came for her to fulfill her destiny. I encountered themes like love, hate, betrayal, romance, action, adventure, trust, deception, faith, and love. The author used these themes masterfully to make the plot memorable.

I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. I found the plot captivating and highly addictive. I could not put the book down until I finished it. The characters were developed masterfully, and they were very relatable. The author also used humour to make the story lively. I encountered few grammatical and punctuation errors in this book. This led me to believe that the book was professionally edited. I did not encounter anything that I disliked about this book.

I would recommend this book to paranormal fiction fans. The book would also appeal to readers who like adventure, action, romance, and suspense. The book was only one hundred and six pages long. This made it easy to complete and even easier to reread. I look forward to reading the sequel of this book.

The Divine-less Comedy
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ferdinand_otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

This sounds wonderfully original! I love the mortal-to-something-supernatural aspect and I think the storyline is great.
Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Radiant3 »

An interesting storyline. I'm wondering if there was a tone of irony in the book. Thanks for a great review.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

honestly i am not into romance but great review though 😊
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: I Am My Hair by Barbara Hart

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this book pretty much has everything I don't read. So, while I'm glad you enjoyed it, I won't be reading it. It was a good review, though.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dreaming Wide Awake by Charles R Hinckley

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like this book has about everything in it, romance, adventure, mythology, etc., and was well written, as well. I will have to add it to my book list. Great review!
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

It is not common to experiencing great reading as much as the delight brought by this book. It is amusing, thanks!
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

This sounds like a great book, nice review by the way
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Wow! This book sounds really interesting. I read The Divine Comedy last year, and I've been interested in modern adaptations since. I'll have to put this on my reading list.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2021 Reading Goal: 165
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: Modern Dreamwork
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

I love paranormal romance! This sounds like an interesting mix of Dante and Greek mythology, and I note that its version of Charon reduced you to laughter. I will be checking this one out; thanks for the introduction.
Pronouns: she, her

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”