Review of A Home for Hope

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of A Home for Hope

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Home for Hope" by Kimberly Sprayberry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered where God is when our lives go downhill or when we face a dead-end? Where is He when new opportunities are conspicuously absent, and there seem to be only solid brick walls in every direction we turn? Kimberly Sprayberry has built her fictional romance novel around these questions. Not only that, but she added a reasonable amount of suspense and big feelings to the story. Buckle up and jump in for a ride that may affect you more than just an average romance story would!

At first, the author introduces us to Darcy Collins. She is married to the prince of her dreams. Darcy and her husband Dillon are supposed to be celebrating their first year as a married couple when a phone call interrupts their evening. Cindy is asking for Dillon’s help. Kindhearted Dillon can’t say no when he discovers that Cindy’s husband has beaten her up again. Dillon rushes to the rescue and never returns. Oddly enough, Cindy and her evil husband vanish that same night.

While Darcy is left to grieve the disappearance of her husband, the story jumps to the harbor. There we meet Navy Lieutenant Steve Parnell, who disembarks after years of service. He is on his way to settling some troubling issues from his past. With heavy guilt in his heart, Steve meets his grandmother he has not seen in years. They are having a meal together when they see a missing person’s report from the TV. To their horror, they realize they are staring at a picture of Steve’s sister Cindy. Steve promises her grandma to find Cindy and runs to the rescue.

The perspective changes back to Darcy, who gets a phone call from her pastor. She hears a heartbreaking story of a little girl who lost her father in a fatal car accident. The social workers are struggling to find a place for little Hope, and the pastor asks Darcy if she could give her a temporary home. Darcy feels torn between her troubles and compassion towards the little girl. What should she do? Is it destiny, or is it God who seems to be pushing them together? Darcy feels tormented with uncertainty, doubt, and fear. Will she ever see her prince of dreams again? What happens to little Hope? And what is Steve’s role in the story?

A Home for Hope by Kimberly Sprayberry was inspired by the author’s life events and her desire to help people in need. Her storytelling distantly reminds me of Karen Kingsbury’s earlier works, and I’d imagine she will be capable of creating equally engaging stories in the future. The author’s style of diction is nurturing and gentle, but there’s still enough suspense to keep the reader in grip. Oddly enough, my favorite feature of the story just so happens to be also my biggest dislike. I sincerely enjoyed the religious aspect of the story. The author’s gentle manner of handling difficult questions was admirable. Still, the prayers and doubtful thoughts of the characters occasionally felt forced and even oppressive. Especially Darcy’s character suffered from this, and she came out a bit pious. I found her difficult to relate to and not entirely plausible. In my opinion, this issue still requires some fine-tuning.

After considering all the details, I feel comfortable saying that A Home for Hope is a good book. The story is smooth and well-written, and the features of a good romance novel are present. In addition, it successfully delivers a profound message. Neither the storyline nor editing includes noticeable or disturbing mistakes. Still, this book is not phenomenal. I did not experience the magic touch that is needed to make a story exceptional. Because of that and the issue mentioned above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

A Home for Hope is a lovely read for a reader who enjoys romantic stories with a touch of suspense. In addition, people facing difficult situations in their lives might find the message of this book comforting. I would also warmly recommend this book to those readers who are currently seeking God or are in doubt about their faith.

A Home for Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
Shiwang Sourav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiwang-sourav.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Shiwang Sourav »

Well written...I read the first paragraph, how smoothly introduced to the book. Reaching 2nd and 3rd para created an interest.
Good work my friend.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

Did the protagonist's husband run off with another woman, the missing woman? Are they in hiding together? I hope that's not what's being insinuated here, for the protagonist's sake.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Hope's precious face on the cover captured my heart. I do hope she finds a loving home. I wonder if her father's death is somehow related to other characters in the story.
Thank you for another lovely review! :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Shiwang Sourav wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:57 Well written...I read the first paragraph, how smoothly introduced to the book. Reaching 2nd and 3rd para created an interest.
Good work my friend.
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Brett Linette wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 09:20 Did the protagonist's husband run off with another woman, the missing woman? Are they in hiding together? I hope that's not what's being insinuated here, for the protagonist's sake.
I am afraid you have to read the book to find that out! 😉 Thanks for stopping by!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

MsH2k wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 22:49 Hope's precious face on the cover captured my heart. I do hope she finds a loving home. I wonder if her father's death is somehow related to other characters in the story.
Thank you for another lovely review! :greetings-waveyellow:
You are right, she looks adorable. What comes to other details, I suppose you have to read the story to find out… :D Thank you for the visit, it is always good to see you!
Kirsi
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 14:52
Brett Linette wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 09:20 Did the protagonist's husband run off with another woman, the missing woman? Are they in hiding together? I hope that's not what's being insinuated here, for the protagonist's sake.
I am afraid you have to read the book to find that out! 😉 Thanks for stopping by!
I'm clicking on its link to Amazon right now; I must know what happens.

Thank you for the review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love romantic stories with a touch of suspense, so I would be happy to read this one :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Your well-written review paint an interesting image of this book. Thanks for your work!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Ellylion wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 05:43 I love romantic stories with a touch of suspense, so I would be happy to read this one :) Thank you very much for this amazing review!
Then this is definitely a book you would enjoy! Thank you for your appreciation :D
Kirsi
Rachel Kubus
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Soundless
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-kubus.html
Latest Review: Acts of Hope by Martin Elsant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Rachel Kubus »

I enjoyed this review because it showcases the premise of the storyline. It’s hard to tell from the cover that it’s a romance novel or that it involves multiple storylines that intersect. This review is well written and includes all the details a reader would want before diving into this novel.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 14:39 Your well-written review paint an interesting image of this book. Thanks for your work!
Thank you for your feedback, I truly appreciate it!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Rachel Kubus wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 22:17 I enjoyed this review because it showcases the premise of the storyline. It’s hard to tell from the cover that it’s a romance novel or that it involves multiple storylines that intersect. This review is well written and includes all the details a reader would want before diving into this novel.
Thank you for your appreciation! :)
Kirsi
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the story is smooth because it’s a great way to get the message across to readers. Thanks for the objective review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”