Official Review: Trigger Warning by Charlie Hayden Hicks

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: Trigger Warning by Charlie Hayden Hicks

Post by Mariana Figueira »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trigger Warning" by Charlie Hayden Hicks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Trigger Warning is a statement used to inform people that what they are about to experience might be upsetting for them, especially if they have been through something similar. In this case, the warning is the book's title, revealing what type of content lies inside it.

I believe this novel has pretty much everything that requires this label: vulgar language, graphic violence (including murder), sexual assault, drugs, prostitution, and explicit descriptions of sexual activities and fetishes.

This unique love story begins when Kate finds herself stranded in Europe in the middle of her backpacking trip. With no money and no idea what to do, she accepts the offer of Tatiana, a Russian call girl, to be her "roomfriend"; none of them expected to have feelings for each other, and both of them are afraid of the time when their interlude comes to an end. When it does, Kate vows to save Tatiana from the life she was forced into, but the path that will lead her to the salvation of her lover is far darker than she expects.

I was so fascinated with this book that I could not put it down and ended up finishing it in one go. As the title suggests, some parts of it were challenging to read, but just like you're unable to look away from a catastrophe unfolding, I couldn't let go of this novel until I knew the conclusion. The story was powerful, exciting, and one of a kind; it had numerous turns of events, and every one of them was earth-shattering. The plot moved fast but, especially at first, its progression was natural, like when Kate and Tatiana casually go from "roomfriends" to more.

Both Kate and Tatiana are fascinating and complex characters, and I appreciate how author Charlie Hayden Hicks introduced glimpses of their pasts before revealing the entirety of it. I also adored the incorporation of backgrounds for secondary characters, like a young man Kate hooked up with and whose name doesn't even show up in the novel. The growth of Kate's persona is tremendous, and my favorite part about the book: she goes from being a desperate tourist to something like a madame for Tatiana, and, ultimately, she becomes everything she needs to so she can rescue her Russian lover.

My only complaint about this book is that its editing needs some improvement, as I encountered more than ten errors, and it is why I'm granting it 3 out of 4 stars. Other than that, there was nothing that I didn't appreciate about the novel.

As a final note, I want to remark that this publication is undoubtedly meant for adults, particularly those who like dark erotic romance; it is beyond intense, and you likely need to be in a particular headspace to read it, even if you enjoy the genre. It is not the most peaceful experience, but there is a lot to praise about this book, and I believe people who like this kind of novel will surely appreciate it.

Trigger Warning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Trigger warning sounds dark; maybe warning that you're gonna hate it or love it. This story is of escaping the current situation and getting into a better one. It sounds engaging and delightful Thank you for the honest review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The way the book lives up to its title is fascinating. That's quite some content packed in one book. Too bad it could do with more improvement. Thank you for this review!
Mariana Figueira

Kavita Shah wrote: 12 May 2021, 10:10 Trigger warning sounds dark; maybe warning that you're gonna hate it or love it. This story is of escaping the current situation and getting into a better one. It sounds engaging and delightful Thank you for the honest review!
Yeah, it's pretty shocking. Thanks for stopping by!
Mariana Figueira

Mwatu wrote: 12 May 2021, 12:02 The way the book lives up to its title is fascinating. That's quite some content packed in one book. Too bad it could do with more improvement. Thank you for this review!
If it wasn't for the editing issues, I would have granted it four stars, it's a shame really. Thanks for stopping by and reading my review!
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I can easily look over grammatical errors when it comes to romance. I'll add this to my list. Thank you for your review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I guess there's an important psychological element in the plot to develop the relationships among the protagonists and make the novel compelling. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Oh! I love authors and books that keep you turning the pages. Reading this story in one sitting is quite an endorsement. Thanks for alerting readers to the dark and erotic themes that could trigger readers. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

With or without the errors, this isn't the book for me. It sounds appropriately titled. So much so that it warns me from reading it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks for your honest review. I don’t think this is a book I would like reading. Unfortunately it seems a bit dark to me . On the flip side I think for people who like theses kind of reads will find it interesting and hard to put don because it is packed with so many topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. Kate's fateful encounter with the Russian call girl Tatiana sounds interesting. It was unfortunate when Kate lost everything on the backpacking trip, but it was thanks to it that she acquired a love.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like an interesting book, and the well-built characters are very appealing. Thank you for this informative review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I really enjoy books with good character development, especially if they are exciting. This book sounds like it has both. Amazing review!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

That you read the book at a go is impressive! That's all a person needs to hear, really. Thank you for your honest review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Mariana Figueira

Naaya123 wrote: 12 May 2021, 16:47 I can easily look over grammatical errors when it comes to romance. I'll add this to my list. Thank you for your review!
Thank you so much for stopping by!
NetMassimo wrote: 12 May 2021, 16:53 I guess there's an important psychological element in the plot to develop the relationships among the protagonists and make the novel compelling. Thank you for your great review!
Absolutely. Thank you so much for stopping by!
kdstrack wrote: 12 May 2021, 17:07 Oh! I love authors and books that keep you turning the pages. Reading this story in one sitting is quite an endorsement. Thanks for alerting readers to the dark and erotic themes that could trigger readers. Great review!
It was definitely made to be triggering, but if you have the stomach for it, I think you'll enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”