The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
Mdoucet1086
Currently Reading: Wonder Woman
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdoucet1086.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by Mdoucet1086 »

I just got this book, I' haven't started reading it yet but I hope it is better then Casual Vacancy was ( plot wise, writing wise it was fine).
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Mdoucet1086 wrote:I just got this book, I' haven't started reading it yet but I hope it is better then Casual Vacancy was ( plot wise, writing wise it was fine).
I read The Cuckoo's Calling last year and enjoyed it. I didn't love the mystery, but the main character and his assistant are great characters. This is the first book of a series with these two characters.

As for Casual Vacancy, I couldn't get past the first chapter. I found the writing style too wordy and uninteresting. I think J.K. Rowling took the constructive criticism from the book negative reviews and improved with her next book (Cuckoo's Calling"). While Cuckoo's Calling is not great, it is certainly a good story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

I read this just after the second book in the series came out (which of course meant I had to read them both). As I read, I couldn't decide if I liked it...some of the descriptions, I questioned some of the random bits of information that isn't necessary for a story, and is an interesting way to paint her characters. Robin was interesting, and I liked her willingness to admit her dreams and that it was possible for her to follow them, even if that meant getting dirty, which usually happens when you're doing things right. However, I still haven't made up my mind how I feel about the odd relationship painted between Robin, her fiance, and Strike. The mystery was interesting, and it certainly had a very human quality about the idea, despite the boldness of the murderer. It was worth the read, though I'm still undecided just how much I liked it. I've read the second one, and will probably read the latest one too when it becomes available, mostly out of interest and curiosity.
baasil999
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baasil999.html

Post by baasil999 »

Somehow, I am not happy for the title. It is strange. Anyway, looking forward for the review. :? :?
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

Rowling and adult themes or strong language were of course in her casual vacancy effort from a few years back.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

Neleh403 wrote:Since this book has been voted September book of the month I have started to read it. AKA J K Rowling I can't wait to see how it compares to The Harry Potter series. I'm hoping it doesn't. Obviously JK Rowling wants to be credited for her writing skills and not for who she is hence the pseudonym. :?
I don't think it's just the fact she wants recognition regardless of fame. Authors tend to write under a pseudonym for two major reasons. One, as you suggest, is to avoid readers getting a book just because the author is famous, and to avoid the hype.

The other reason has to do with branding. An author who has a strong branding of fantasy and magic might struggle to write a historical biography without some of their hardcore fans being disappointed that the story wasn't another lovely fantasy story.

I kind of wish her authorship was kept quiet longer. It would have prevented the book from entering the hype and would have allowed her to build up another brand.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

The Cuckoo's Calling was the first Robert Galbraith book I read. Since then I've been completely addicted to Roberts other work and rather enjoy his work.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

I loved this book and the whole series. I'm excited to see the television series, which recently won the "Best TV Drama Series" award from the National Film Awards UK. I think it will be available in the US this summer.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

This is a really great book. You would never expect it was written by the author of Harry Potter since the genre and the writing style are just so different.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by dtb »

S_Mulla wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 15:09 The Cuckoo's Calling was the first Robert Galbraith book I read. Since then I've been completely addicted to Roberts other work and rather enjoy his work.
Me too. I am excited to see the BBC TV series is coming to the U.S. next month.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am curious about what my reception of the book would have been, had I not known that Galbraith is actually JKR. Knowing this beforehand had both a positive and a negative effect. On the positive side, I was happy to read yet more books and that too of a different genre from my favourite author. But on the other hand, my level of expectation increased considerably. However, it was a mixed experience for me. I liked several aspects of the book (and its sequels), but as a whole I did not find the story that gripping. It had thrill, it had twists, but apart from that, it lacked the charm which compels the readers to keep guessing who might the culprit be or anticipate what might happen next. The readers were given absolutely no clues to ponder over. The way Strike came up with the solution often seemed abrupt. This was, in my opinion, a very weak point of the book.
dianarmartins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by dianarmartins »

I feel like this series was really good. The fourth book is about to come out (I am a bit late to the party, I know) and I am very excited for it. The style of writing throughout the series is dramatically different from that which is present in the Harry Potter series (and also in her 'Casual Vacancy' novel) and I felt like it was shifting as well - the last book, The Silkworm, was so intriguing; it contains a lot more "gore" and explicit crime scenes/thoughts. I am very excited to read what is to come!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I can't wait to read this one. It got to my country pretty late and I tried to avoid spoilers for so long. I'm really glad that J K didn't stop writing after Harry Potter.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I am the biggest Harry Potter and J. K. Rowling fan. But this was nothing like it. In fact, if it had not been revealed that she was the author, I never would have made the connection. The book was OK. But there was nothing spectacular about it. Just an ok mystery.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle

Post by srividyag1 »

I didn't like JKR's "The Casual Vacancy". This might be because JKR equals Harry Potter in my mind. So I am a little reluctant to read this, though it is very much hyped.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”