The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I enjoyed reading this book so much! I was scared that me being such a huge HP fan would "ruin" it for me, but I loved reading this! I'm a huge murder mystery fan, and this is definitely up there with Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie's stuff.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
wendymm
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendymm.html

Post by wendymm »

I actually really enjoyed reading this book. One of the most difficult parts for me was getting JK Rowling out of my head. Early on I still secretly wanted it to be a HP book, but Rowling did not let me down. She is an amazingly talented writer!
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

This sounds like an interesting book. I loved the HP series, so I hope JKR comes up with something good in this one too.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

A superb book.
Cher N Words
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-n-words.html

Post by Cher N Words »

d3i6amo7nds wrote:I can't say I enjoyed this and found it quite boring in parts. I just felt that the author didn't give us any reason to care how Cuckoo had met her end or who was to blame.
I guessed the culprit early on but there were enough red herrings to make me constantly doubt my choice.
I thought the characters were well drawn, but perhaps more could have been made of Matthew and Charlotte.
To me the most interesting part was the developing relationship between Strike and Robin!
Not really my thing - too many lengthy descriptions and not enough action.
I 'd give it three stars out of five.
I couldn't agree with you more. I, too, found the book a bit boring and not enough action. Quite frequently, the true point of a simple statement was overshadowed by the never ending descriptions. I would've loved to have read more heart thumping, nail biting, put the book in the freezer moments. By the time I read a third of the book, I just wanted to finish it to see if my initial suspicions were correct. They were.
ejcogan
Favorite Author: Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: Once Burned
Currently Reading: The Truth of all Flesh
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejcogan.html
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
fav_author_id: 3311

Post by ejcogan »

I'm always glad when authors branch out and write something outside the genre their known for. I will definitely read this book just out of curiosity.
It is better to have loved and lost, than to be married to a psycho for the rest of your life.
Latest Review: "Dehumanized" by Michael Loring
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Post by debo9967 »

The book sounds interesting and since its by JKR, I think I'll read it. :)
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I read really dissapointed by JK's The Casual Vacancy so I have been extremly hesitant to pick this one up once I was told it was written by her, especially since ACD is my favorite mystery writer, and I have only found two other authors who I think are as good as him, and both for different reasons.
So many books to read, so little time..
L Brox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-brox.html

Post by L Brox »

I read this a while back and throughly enjoyed it and not just becasue I was reading it while soaking up some sun in Mexico 8)

I may have to add this to my 'read again' list. :P
Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I honestly had no idea Rowling authored anything aside from The Casual Vacancy and Harry Potter stuff... I'm definitely going to have to give this one a read!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Sounds great! I never read Harry Potter (not my cup of tea) but I love detective stories.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

d3i6amo7nds wrote:I can't say I enjoyed this and found it quite boring in parts. I just felt that the author didn't give us any reason to care how Cuckoo had met her end or who was to blame.

To me the most interesting part was the developing relationship between Strike and Robin!
Not really my thing - too many lengthy descriptions and not enough action.
I 'd give it three stars out of five.
I agree with you! I found this book to be quite boring at times. It took a really long time for the plot to pick up, and then sometimes when it did, it would often go back to being somewhat dull. I hate to even say it because I love Rowling, but this book just did not do it for me. The descriptions of people, places, etc. are far too long and convoluted. I really wish there had been more dialogue to break up the lengthy pieces of description.

I will definitely read the sequel to see what happens between Strike and Robin. I really think Rowling sets up their partnership nicely. I hated Robin's fiancé, and I found him to be quite annoying.

My hope is that Rowling is just getting a great series set up with this book, and she will find her stride in the sequel.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
glassfable5
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glassfable5.html

Post by glassfable5 »

I really enjoyed reading The Cuckoo's Calling. I felt like every time I thought I had figured out who the culprit might be, the story would take an unexpected turn and my previous suspicions would be dashed. I never felt bored while reading it. I loved the developing relationship between Cormoran and Robin. I am immensely excited to read the next book in the series The Silkworm.
ungerm24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ungerm24 »

I really enjoyed this book. I thought that it showed JK Rowling's talent for making every little detail important and connect. I think it shows unpredictability that is hard to find in many mysteries. I also think it makes up for her other book: "A Casual Vacancy." This one was lighter and more fun to read. The characters where enjoyable and worth rooting for. Robin absolutely made the book what it was. I definitely would give it 3 out of 4 stars.
David Bowman
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Ulysses</a>
Currently Reading: Echo
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-bowman.html
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by David Bowman »

When I first heard about the Cuckoo's Calling, it was at the time when J.K. Rowling wasn't known as the author of the book.
I certainly remember the surprise it had when she was revealed to be the writer of the Cuckoo's Calling. So far, until now, I've
been looking into it, and this detective-like mystery doesn't sound too bad. Might have to look at it in the future.
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”