The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by thsavage2 »

This is a completely different kind of book. It is not young adult fantasy, it's an adult crime/mystery/thriller novel. It proves again that Rowling is not only a brilliant writer, but also a versatile one. I'm so glad she didn't stop after finishing the last HP book, because this one was awesome and I'm really excited to read the next one, also featuring Cormoran Strike. I also love the bird motif throughout the story. What I really liked about this was the characters and their development throughout the novel. The pacing is also very good, it never felt rushed and but there were some really exciting parts and I never got bored.

The story itself is a basic suspicious-murder plot, but the way Rowling writes it makes it seem fresh and like you can't figure out who did it (if anyone) until the denouement at the end. Her writing is sharp and funny and clear. As someone who grew up with the HP books but now is an adult, I prefer to read stuff like this (although I do pick up and reread my favorite parts of HP!). I'd give it 3.5-3.7 stars out of 4.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
Johntherobert
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johntherobert.html

Post by Johntherobert »

I really like books like this.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Fran wrote:The Cuckoo's Calling is a detective story with all the twists and turns the reader expects from the genre. The hero is, of course, the PI Cormoran Strike (what a name!) who, in conformity with the genre, is fighting his own demons and has a colourful and unconventional personal life. Called on by John Bristow, to investigate the death of his beautiful but troubled supermodel sister, Cormoran takes on the task of proving that her death is murder and not the suicide everyone, including the police, have concluded it to be. Among the host of characters we are presented with there are some thoroughly unpleasant ones including the conceited and pigheaded police detective, a host of wealthy, arrogant and spoiled models, designers, film producers & trophy spouses. Cormoran Strike, with his prosthetic leg, manipulative former girlfriend, estranged film star father and honourable military record, is IMO a super creation: funny & endearing, inspired & brilliant but also fragile. Equally entertaining is his temporary secretary. Robin is new to London & just recently engaged to the rather staid Matthew, she is a supremly efficient secretary but still somewhat innocent and with a latent awe of private detective work.
There are some great lines in this book such as a dress being described as "poison green" and a mouth clamped round a cigarette reminds Strike of "a cat's anus"! But considering the author is actually J K Rowling the line I liked best has to be towards the end of the book when Strike is wrapping up his case and confronts the murdered with his version of events and the murdered says "You ought to give up detecting and try fantasy writing".
I enjoyed this book immensly and the ending is wrapped up nicely and, for me anyway, totally surprising.
I would give it a 4.5/5* and I hope there will be more adventures for Cormoran Strike & Robin :lol:
Fran summed it up perfectly! I just finished reading this book and I loved it. I took me about a month to get through it but I never once became bored with it. I would rate it a 4 out of 5 stars definitely, and I would and will probably reread it later in the future.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I planned to read this book for some time, but was a little hesitant. I trust J K Rowling's writing skill, but I loved Harry Potter so much I was afraid to pick it up. Seeing all the positive reviews though, I'll definitely give it a go now.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
2Friendly
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The False Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2friendly.html
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by 2Friendly »

Fran wrote:The Cuckoo's Calling is a detective story with all the twists and turns the reader expects from the genre. The hero is, of course, the PI Cormoran Strike (what a name!) who, in conformity with the genre, is fighting his own demons and has a colourful and unconventional personal life...
Thank you for your great review! It sounds much more interesting than I'd expected it to be. I might actually read it. It would be intriguing to read a crime fiction book set in a world of glamour and gloss...the contrast of the violent death would be made even more acute.
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
mkostecki11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkostecki11.html

Post by mkostecki11 »

Strike was a great character to follow throughout the book. He was funny, clever, and self-justified. I, too, was surprised at the ending and enjoyed the book overall!
therhinofam
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-therhinofam.html

Post by therhinofam »

I really enjoyed this book. As a fan of mystery writing, I thought this was clever without being too "out there." I really enjoyed how the author developed the characters. I too hope to see more from Strike and Robin!
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”
― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I really liked this book, although it took me about 30 - 40 pages to really get into it. The mystery was good. There were several twists and I was kept guessing all along. The side stories about Strike's and Robin's personally lives were even better.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

You got me when you said Sherlock Holmes. I love detective books or series and so I will give this book the once over and see if it meets my high standards. I will definitely give it a review once I finish it.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

J.K. Rowling has a distinctive writing style. What's interesting to me is that after the Harry Potter series and The Casual Vacancy, she appears to have somewhat pared down her overly wordy descriptions in this book. It's a welcome change for me, since that was my only criticism of Harry Potter.
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

I was surprised when she used an alias to publish her book.
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Sweet_Lullaby wrote:I was surprised when she used an alias to publish her book.
I wasn't surprised that she used an alias when originally publishing the book. After The Casual Vacancy got mixed reviews, I think the author might have felt readers were measuring all of her books against the yardstick of Harry Potter. In other words, nothing would measure up to Harry Potter. The thing that did surprise me is how quickly it leaked to the press that she was the writer of The Cuckoo's Calling. I personally think the publisher leaked the info to boost sales of the book.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

bookowlie wrote: I personally think the publisher leaked the info to boost sales of the book.
If this is true, it was a great marketing move! :idea: :!:
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I think that this book will be great! I can't wait to finish it!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Did I read somewhere on the www that the BBC are planning to bring these book to TV? They usually do a super job so looking forward to seeing who they cast.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”