The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by kio »

Liked it quite a bit, but it wasn't up to usual Rowling par for me.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

Interesting. I may be one of the few people who doesn't care for the Harry Potter books so I haven't even thought about reading this one. If it's really a different genre I'll take the time to check it out.

-- 19 Apr 2014, 18:11 --

Interesting. I may be one of the few people who doesn't care for the Harry Potter books so I haven't even thought about reading this one. If it's really a different genre I'll take the time to check it out.
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
Uthar902
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uthar902.html

Post by Uthar902 »

I am reading the book right now and I have to say, not bad. The writing style is one that I really adore. I guess the lengthy description of the characters is due to the fact that it is going to be a series. So far I really do enjoy reading it and it is really thrilling.
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

I've started to read this book yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it. it's quite different from what I was used to with JK Rowling but I like this new style and the fact that it's so different from Harry Potter.
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

Hrm, based on these reviews I can't tell if I want to have The Casual Vacancy or The Cuckoo's Calling be my first post-HP J.K. Rowling read. Food for thought.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

I'm checking out some of the past BOTM. I love detective novels, so I may put this one on my list.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html

Post by AnaF »

I've just finished this book and I have to say, I«m surprised. I wasn't expecting to like as much as I did and think JK did a terryfic job. I loved how she was able to play so well with the different characters and make them so unique, even in the way they talked. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime/mystery novels.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I always thought that J.K. Rowling, should she ever decide to write in a genre other than fantasy, would be a natural fit for writing mysteries. The first four Harry Potter books, particularly Goblet of Fire, all of a strong fair-play mystery element to them. I sometimes think that Rowling needs to realize that writing for adults doesn't necessarily mean adding sex and violence to the work.
Colette Marie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colette-marie.html

Post by Colette Marie »

I can't wait to read this book :) Just have to hurry down to the bookstore now :D
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I agree with you GKCfan. I always saw her as a natural fit for mystery and I'm glad she was able to pull it off :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
brynabee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brynabee.html

Post by brynabee »

I did not read any of the Harry Potter books (not my thing) but was curious about "Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling" as a mystery writer. I thought it was...okay. Good enough where I stuck with it and finished, but not exactly memorable or riveting. 3/5 stars for me.
roguexunited
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: After Dark
Currently Reading: Sweet Tooth
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roguexunited.html
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by roguexunited »

I thought it was a good book, not great. I mean I was entertained, but it wasn't that memorable. I did like how it was written, but one of the problems I had with it was that the assistant takes up too much of the book and then she sort of fades into the background, I understand that this is only the foundation for a series, but I didn't how it was treated.
Latest Review: "Fate" by Ali Bin Zahid
SWilder

Post by SWilder »

Sienna Wilder's Review of Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling, aka Robert Galbraith

I gave this book about a 4.3 out of 5 stars. Having loved the entire Harry Potter series, and having been unable to get past the first chapter of A Casual Vacancy by the same author, I was pleasantly surprised by Rowling's chops in writing a detective story. Not only was it a solid and engaging mystery, but it was told from the point of view of a man named Cormoran Strike, son of a rock star and groupie, a war vetran with one leg, who has become a detective. Of course, I can't speak to how successfully Rowling portrayed the man's thoughts, words, and actions, but it was all believable to me.

It's the story of the death of a mixed-race English supermodel, who has actually been murdered. Strike is called to prove that the death is not a suicide by the adopted model's brother. It's a fascinating look into the world of global fame and fortune - one that Rowling herself has gotten to know through her Harry Potter's fame. There is no shortage of insight and observation into this world of glamor and power that most of us only see in movies. Rowling knows this world, and treats us to a rare insider's view of the concerns of fame and power, and the tragedies.

It's fast paced and thorough, engaging all the way. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars, however, is that it's an early attempt by a great writer in a new genre that is difficult. Planting clues without letting the reader know, and keeping the suspense to the end - it was well done. But it wasn't quite as well done as Agatha Christie or John Le Carre, for example. I wouldn't hold a lesser author to such a standard, but from Rowling, I look forward to see her evolve into this genre as well. Right now it's very good, but I can see 'great' coming in the future installments of Cormoran Strike's detective agency.
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html

Post by miztree46 »

This is a great mystery novel. Strike, the main character, could walk right out of the pages of the book. JK Rowling was in the zone when she wrote the fourth and fifth parts of the story. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

I just haven't drunk the Rowling kool-aid yet. I quite liked the first Harry Potter book, but did not get into the next two as much. After that I pretty much lost interest. I love the genre, though, and I rarely see lists of recommended recent books without seeing the Harry Potter series, especially if the lists are created by readers rather than critics. It's possible I could circle around to the series at some point and try the kool-aid again, but I'm sure The Cuckoo's Calling isn't on my list at this point.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”