The cuckoo's calling.

Discuss the September 2013 book of the month The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling).
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: The cuckoo's calling.

Post by S Mishra »

When I first realized that Robert Gailbrath was JK's pen name i wanted to go read the book at once but when I finally got around to read it I realized it didn't really live up to the hype.

Maybe if I hadn't known it was Rowling or hadn't expected Harry Potter level of greatness it might have been a better experience...
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."
Leobaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Leobaby »

I enjoyed reading everyone’s take on this book since it is written by such a well-known and beloved author. It seems like many people were not quite sold on it. I, on the other hand, adored it. It is a refreshing take on the crime novel genre - which (in my opinion) had become obsessed with serial killers and sexual components to gruesome crimes. This is certainly a more low-key crime novel, but with that same gritty London feel of many other successful crime novels. Rowling also played to her strengths with a cast of excellent characters, and within one book the scene is set for rich character development in future books.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

I read this book a few years back. I really enjoyed reading it, couldn’t put it down until it got over. I guessed who the murderer was half way through the book, but could not figure out how the deed was carried out. It’s after reading this forum that I learned the author’s real name. I had no idea J K Rowling wrote it when I read it and I am a big fan of Harry Potter.
CL_03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cl-03.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by CL_03 »

I loved it. It is not action packed, but somehow it manages to keep your attention. I didn't find it tedious to read and really enjoyed the detail. I think that mystery stories, have to be the hardest to write because you have to clearly hint in the right direction without giving away the end and this book manages to do so.
I do recommend it if you enjoy detective stories.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I give the total credit of my reading habbit to this book. I absolutely fell in love with Cormoran Strike. I have read all the released sequels of the series.
Claris L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claris-l.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Claris L »

I enjoyed reading this book, as the mystery portion of the book was quite entertaining to read, as well as the plot twists. However, am I the only one that didn't like Robin and her fiance Matthew together, or is it just me?
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I've never been able to bring myself to finish the book. Don't get me wrong, the writing is great and the characters are interesting. It's just difficult for me to get into that genre. I wonder if I should try picking it up again...
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

I love this series. I’ve read all five and can’t wait for the next one. The last book was the best in the whole series so far. The more you read of these the more you love them. To be honest I didn't even know they were by JK when I started because I just stumbled across it when I was looking for a new book.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

I am currently in the process of reading of reading the book. Based on what I've read so far, things are fairly good and I'm enjoying the process. :)
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

The egotistical and pigheaded police investigator, a slew of rich, haughty, and spoilt models, designers, film producers, and trophy husbands are just a few of the many people we are introduced to.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a.k.a. J.K Rowling)”