Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Re: Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Well the first book that Dostoevsky wrote " Poor Folk" in 1846 was pretty bad. That is the only book he has written that i did not like.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
alycia+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alycia.html

Post by alycia+ »

bookworm200+ wrote:Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you? Has your favourite author ever written something bad or not worth reading? Has your favourite author ever skipped a book signing that you've been looking foward to for weeks? Has your favourite author ever said something to dissapoint you? If so, tell us about it.
Having a favorite author is like choosing a favorite child. You can hardly choose one. If it came down to all of my favorite authors releasing new books on the same day and I only have enough money for two, I would reach for Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb or Stephen King.

In answer to your question, no and yes. Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb has written hundreds of books. Looking at her booklist, I have a hard time finding one I haven't read. Harder still to find one I didn't enjoy. Nora keeps the tempo upbeat and the twists and turns twisting and turning in ways you never would've thought to go. The writing style makes you feel a part of the story. As if Nora experienced these stories and gave a detailed and thrilling account.

Stehpen King, however, has written a few books that are so vastly detailed that you lose the story and get trapped in the descriptions around the characters and their journey. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Stephen King. His stories are brilliant and colorful. Not always in the same genre but so closely matched that you never know which genre the story is gearing toward (i.e. Syfy, Horror, Thriller, Murder Mystery).
DaintyFlower7
Currently Reading: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daintyflower7.html
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor
Publishing Contest Votes: 33

Post by DaintyFlower7 »

I must confess that Stephen King has disappointed me the most, simply because I have such high expectations of him. But the book that disappointed me the most was Insomnia. I actually didn't even finish it because I honestly couldn't have cared less about the ending. I never thought I would say that about King's work. Other books have not hit a home run for me in terms of plot, pacing, or character development, but I at least enjoyed his writing and wanted to finish the book. Fingers crossed that I never meet another King novel that I want to put down.

DF7
Latest Review: "Strange" by Mark Taylor
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Yes. John Steinbeck was supposed to meet me for coffee once. He never showed up.

I was dissapointed [sic]
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

"Author" is the wrong word here, but I was disappointed by my favorite writer.

I wrote to advice columnist Carolyn Hax, whose advice I had always enjoyed, and I said, "I wrote a book about middle-school advice givers, and I would love to send you a copy." Well, she never emailed back. That was disappointing, and crushing, and I haven't read her advice since, needless to say. I told her how she was a big inspiration (totally true, a la the advice angle), and how she'd helped me to develop a good outlook (OK, a better outlook), and I felt really hurt to be ignored by her. So yeah. I was pretty darned disappointed! :o
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Well that stinks.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thanks!! I appreciate that. :-)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

You are welcome. Common courtesy is never too much to ask.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
lp3101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lp3101.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lp3101 »

I was very disappointed when Karen Slaughter ended her Grant County Series--no spoilers. Then to combine her Will Trent with the left overs of it, oh my. However, I have kept reading and am starting to be ok with it. I will always wish that she hadn't though.
adi63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adi63.html

Post by adi63 »

He/she would not be my favorite author if he/she would disappoint me. Their oeuvre cannot disappoint me. Their lives, yes. It was a bit of a shock when I learned that Houellebecq is (happily) married, but I cannot call it a disappointment, because a happy marriage is not a death sentence for creation and this really was a proof of that.
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

I feel like we all saw this coming well those of us that are Harry Potter fans, but when she came out with a new book after harry potter. It was a huge let down for me.. I didnt like it all.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Never. Stephen King, you the man!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

khushifairy wrote:well, ummm. I was a bit disappointed when J.K rowling choosed Ron for Hermione and not Harry..
but laters I felt good with her dicision..
And now she feels that she did the wrong thing by putting Ron and Hermione together!!! :roll:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Stari
Favorite Author: Neil Gaimen
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stari.html
Latest Review: "Second Chances" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Stari »

Yes. I absolutely adore Neil Gaimen but some of his earlier work is weak and unoriginal, which is surprising given his nature.
Latest Review: "Second Chances" by Lincoln Cole
ananda
Currently Reading: White Hot
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ananda »

Favorite is such a limiting term and I don't really have one favorite author. That being said, I do enjoy JK Rowling's books. She disappointed me not so much by her writing as by what she said afterwards... the author is always supposed to know more than they tell and we don't need a detailed commentary after the fact. Like how she regretted putting Ron and Hermione together and should have killed Ron off. Ok, you now ruined that whole relationship. Worse, how she states that Dumbledore was gay and that's why he took such an interest in Harry. First off, if Dumbledore were gay and that were pertinent, then that should have been introduced in the story. It in no way furthers the plot, it seems more like a cry for attention. Second, if Dumbledore's interest in Harry is because he's gay, doesn't that make him a pedophile? Just let the books speak for themselves and stop trying to doctor them after they are finished.

Return to “Discuss Authors”