Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
bookworm200+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you?

Post by bookworm200+ »

Has your favourite author ever dissapointed you? Has your favourite author ever written something bad or not worth reading? Has your favourite author ever skipped a book signing that you've been looking foward to for weeks? Has your favourite author ever said something to dissapoint you? If so, tell us about it.
"Books and reading are the very foundations of life itself." ~ bookworm200+
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Great topic! I have never met Stephen King personally so i cant comment on him as a person but certainly some of his books have disappointed me yes. I started reading him as a teen and i pretty much read all his classics like Carrie, Misery and The Stand etc so i was used to consistent high quality all the time and was a bit naive about expectations so when i inevitably hit his poor books i was floored! I thought The Tommyknockers was a terrible book with a laughable adversary (aliens who took the form of anyone and anything around them) and hardly any genuine scares. The book was also let down by the over-padding of the alcoholic main character whos' backstory was protracted. In my opinion, Bag of Bones remains his worst ever book, it was nearly painful to read as the plot went nowhere from start to end. Also i didnt like Cujo, Insomnia, Everythings Eventual, the end of Under the Dome and Blockade Billy. King has made several derogatory remarks about Irish people which i have found a tad offensive so his ignorance of our modern and developed country is a shame.

I wouldnt say im a big fan but i enjoyed Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons so i looked forward to Lost Symbol but to me it was a bit like trying to re-start the hype party from the Da Vince code when the world had moved on, the book didnt wander an inch from his tried and tested (and worn) formula of "historian races against the clock to uncover an ancient secret which is a threat to modern life, all the while being chased by a sinister religious splinter group and governmental body, both eager to bury the truth", He may say why fix something that isnt broken but i say hes becoming a one trick pony..
You only live once.....so live!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Ken Follett is not my favourite author but he has written(for me) one of the most disappointing sequels ever. "Pillars of the Earth" is one of my favourite books, imho it is brilliant. Therefore the sequel "World without End" was the most anticipated book I have ever waited for. I was hoping it was going to be as good as, if not better than "Pillars". I was so disappointed after reading it and finding out that it was not even close to the original. It is not a bad book by any means, it just had enormous shoes that it failed to fill.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

My favourite authors have certainly given me some "oh-oh" moments but eventually redeemed themselves.
Sometimes I question their judgement but on the whole I'm satisfied in their ability to deliver the goods.
On the subject of book signings, I think authors need the patience of a saint to withstand autograph-hunting fans with cameras! I must say (regardless of their prior reputation) I have always met with local and international authors who are obliging, polite, friendly, humorous and never make you feel rushed even when the queue is snaking out the bookshop door.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I don't have an individual favourite author but all the many that I love have produced a clanger from time to time but as Maud says generally they will redeem themselves with their next effort.

Sure don't we all have an occasional 'bad day at the office' .... I can forgive John Banville Nightspawn when I remember the absolute beauty of The Sea.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

There have been some authors - James Patterson comes to mind - that have disappointed with the way their series turn into - I used to love the Alex Cross and Women's Murder Club series but now I can't read them anymore - just seems like the same old same old. But i think that happens with any long-running series. I still enjoy his stand alone books from time to time. But i do agree that a lot of authors redeem themselves - i feel its my taste more than their words that have changed my outlook on their books.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Again, Tommyknockers and Bag of Bones, what an anti-climax, it's a sad thing to say but his best work is certainly behind him now....but what a career.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Ant wrote:Again, Tommyknockers and Bag of Bones, what an anti-climax, it's a sad thing to say but his best work is certainly behind him now....but what a career.
Well a lifetime of reading him still gives me hope so ill see what his new one is like, fingers crossed. I agree with you, even if all his books are weak from now on, he still remains the best horror author of all time. :D
You only live once.....so live!
barblibrarian
Currently Reading: The Girls
Bookshelf Size: 3224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barblibrarian.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by barblibrarian »

Always. I suppose, like many people, I don't have one favorite author, but a series of favorite authors. What causes me to change to a new author favorite is boredom. I will start reading, for example, a series of books by an author because the characters are interesting and there is something unique about the storyline. I will then lose interest because the character becomes stagnant or the story line gets drawn out.

My suggestion to an author is to plan out a series. Think about where you want to take your story and your characters. Write as many books as it takes to get this accomplished, then move on to the next thing. If you don't envision an end point for your character(s) or story, you will become formulaic and start boring your audience.

Notice I don't say to avoid series. I believe much of the reading audience today loves to read multiple titles with the same characters. I just don't think it is wise to start a series without knowing how you will end it, and when. Unless, you are only in it for the money. Then, go ahead!! People like me will drop off, but there are always the Evanovich, Grafton, Steel, and Patterson readers out there.

I personally admire someone more like J.K. Rowling who had written the last couple of chapters of her 7th book before she finished her third. So, she knew where she was heading and knew her storyline had to end at that point. With all the money she has made, you can see how tempting it might have been to keep the series going. But, then it would not have been as good. And, now that I think about it, I never was disappointed by her.
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

From the authors that I have come to love, none of them have EVER failed to make me bored or whatever. :)
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
Harry64

Post by Harry64 »

My favourite auther is Lee Child, never been let down by his books.

Other authors that I enjoy, Ian Rankin, Tess Gerritson, Peter James always produce good books
khushifairy

Post by khushifairy »

well, ummm. I was a bit disappointed when J.K rowling choosed Ron for Hermione and not Harry..
but laters I felt good with her dicision..
mouseofcards89
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky
Favorite Book: Notes From Underground
Currently Reading: Precipice
fav_author_id: 9263

Post by mouseofcards89 »

Never once. Bulgakov said it best: "Dostoevsky is immortal."
"The world is a vampire/sent to drain/secret destroyers hold you up to the flames/And what do I get for my pains?/Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game."
seayork2002

Post by seayork2002 »

John Grisham sometimes, for example his latest The Litigators
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

Not my favorites but:

I got burned out on the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. After a while, each book seemed to be a rehashing of what had gone on in the past. Did love one of her later books though, Black Notice.

The last two books in the Undead Seriesby Mary Janice Davidson were disappointing. She usually has an interesting story line and the main character has a great wit. Her last couple of books seem all quibble and wit and no content. I do hate to give up on the series though.

Return to “Discuss Authors”