Haurki Murakami

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Bookworm2011
Bookshelf Size: 0

Haurki Murakami

Post by Bookworm2011 »

I have heard a lot of great things about this author and with his new book coming out (that is supposed to be his magnus opus) I am wondering what people think of him as an author. And if they would recommend his books to read?
dailybitsofwisdom

Post by dailybitsofwisdom »

I just finished his memoir, What I Talk about When I Talk about Running, and it was excellent. What I like most about his style of writing is that he gets to the core reasoning of a situation or emotion without using a bunch of metaphors and adjectives. He lets you know what his characters are feeling as well as their true intentions.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

But what does he write.....?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
naragus

Post by naragus »

I think the last book of Murakami is 1Q84. I have just read its 750 pages, but don´t be afraid you´ll be hoping to reach home to go back reading. There are two stories in the book and each chapter switches between one and the other till they meet or almost meet. A mystic book where people seem to move following nature´s orders without their own reasonment. A Romeo and Juliet story recreating 1984 in modern Japan. One of the best from Murakami.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

naragus wrote:.....A Romeo and Juliet story recreating 1984 in modern Japan.....
Thank you for this enlightment. After finding out that his name is spelt incorrectly (it's Haruki) and reading newspaper reviews, I've discovered his new book is being eagerly awaited world-wide. It appears that Murakami is indeed a 'different' author and when his trilogy IQ84 was first published in Japan, it sold more than 1 million copies in two months. Worth a look.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Francine

Post by Francine »

hello
Haurki Murakami is famous japanese writer and translator .He is written many book like as Kafka on the Shore ,Norwegian Wood,The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle,What I Talk About When I Talk...,A Wild Sheep Chase.
Regards
Francine
naragus

Post by naragus »

If any of you are interested in Murakami, there is a good interview published by The Guardian this week.
Here is the link:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oc ... akami-1q84
tinybore

Post by tinybore »

I strongly recommend Norwegian Wood. Very deep, interesting characters, and I admire the way Haruki describes and writes about emotions.

I've also read Kafka on Shore. IMO it's not as good as Norwegian Wood, but I still liked it very much.
Elizabeth1968

Post by Elizabeth1968 »

Murakami is an interesting author. I love the atmosphere created in his books. I also love the sex scenes, full of sensuality ... I read Norwegian Wood Tokyo Blues and South of the Border West of the Sun. And what books do you read?
San1968

Post by San1968 »

I have read all of his books up until his new trilogy but it is the next book on my list to read after I finish my current book. The first one of his I read was Norwiegen Wood and I loved it and just went from there. Some of his books are rather outlandish but they are amazing stories I would recommend them to any book lover.
ellenr

Post by ellenr »

I have read IQ84 and highly enjoyed the story, it can be slow at times but really enjoyable. It was the first novel of Haruki Murakami I had read. It can be tricky to keep track of the story line between the two central characters and the chopping and changing between time periods. Seems to be a mix of sci-fi and a love story.
I followed with the wind up bird chronicle but did not enjoy this book at all.
I would recommend it if you like sci-fi, fantasy, romance and enjoy the obscure (not horror) aspects of Stephen Kings novels or enjoyed the matrix series.
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

His books tend to have a certain ethereal quality that straddles the line between reality and fantasy but they are imaginative and well-written. Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle are great. I'm looking forward to getting into 1Q84.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
acremeans205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acremeans205.html

Post by acremeans205 »

I have read 1Q84. When I first started this book I had no idea what to expect. With that being said this book got my attention right off the bat. What I think I liked most about this book (or this author) is that the writing has many different layers. Its not all one tone, there is a little bit of grit, a little bit of sweetness and a little bit of terror all mixed into one story. Its much like real life since we experience all those emotions in a day. After reading this book I am excited to read more from this author.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

He is one of my favorite authors and I have read most of his books. I certainly recommend his books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
deedee1178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deedee1178.html

Post by deedee1178 »

The more outlandish his books are the better.

Return to “Discuss Authors”