Which author influenced you the most?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Which author influenced you the most?

Post by Eteru »

Which author influenced you the most? In a way that you get to see things in a wider perspective and helped you improve your life principles into something better.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

I have to say the author that influenced me the most is John Fowles. Reading The Magus by him shattered me, in a way very few books managed to. On top of that, his books determined me to work on my creative writing. He showed me characters can be flawed, that exploring a relationship or person was not about trying to find a box to make them fit in, but rather understand how and why they won't always fit in a box. And that philosophy I later adopted in life. What about you? By the way, on this list can be found Charlotte Bronte, Amelie Nothomb and Anna Gavalda. :)
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Poison by Chris Wooding inspired me to create stories. It is a fairytale-type book that constantly challenges what a fairytale is, and is one of my favourite books of all time. It is also one of the only fairytale books (modern ones) that doesn't rely on a romantic element to further the plot. The only other novel that has had such an emotional and long-lasting effect on my (that comes immediately to mind) is The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

There are multiple authors who have influenced me. I think it was Stephen King who said the more you read the more you write. And it's true. You also develop your writing style by mixing all the authors you've read subconsciously in the back of your head. I follow a lot of Stephen King's rules for writing, even though I don't really like his writing style.

Kim Harrison gave me my love for Urban Fantasy, and it is my chosen genre to write in most days. She's inspired me with her quick witted characters and the humor she laces into her writing at the perfect times. Mark Lawrence influences me to not be afraid to take things a bit darker, as his characters go through some pretty rough patches in order to evolve. And lastly, Chuck Wendig has been the biggest influence for me with his Miriam Black series. I struggled with my main protagonist for the longest time, trying to pin her personality down because she simply does what she wants. Then someone introduced me to Miriam. Now whenever I'm in a bind, I pick up one of her books and remind myself how to write such a character.
Rimsha fatima
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rimsha fatima »

Every other book I read influences me about something ,but there are a few that influence you deep within maybe a life changing book . Authors as Pt.Jawaharlal Nehru have influenced me deep within ,his works depict his deep knowledge of world around us . Nehru's work teaches us to about his personal experiences about life ,ways to lead a life in difficult life ,reality of life,his struggles for freedom of his motherland,how he sacrificed all the luxuries of life for his country. His work depicts history of the world , his teaching about world and ways to lead life to his daughter during his tenure in jail. His work is truly inspiring for me, his work makes me his admirer for life. I would recommend everyone to atleast once read his work.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Mahfouz Naguib, Ngugi Wa Thiongo
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Diamonddog74
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Diamonddog74 »

A friend introduced me to the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett when I was in my mid teens in the late 80s. Through Granny Weatherwax I learnt to speak up for those that have no voice, through Sam Vimes I found the courage to ask the difficult questions, or to spot the questions someone doesn’t want you to ask, but mostly I learnt that it’s ok to be myself and not feel the need to pretend to be something I’m not.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

Funny enough, the author that influenced me the most was a fanfic author who published a work on AO3 soemtime in 2016. I read that book and immediately wanted to write my own, that's how good it was.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

Dr. Shefali Tsabary changed my perspective and life big time.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

I'd say it's George Orwell for me. The politics, his view on world problems which are just as relevant today, his love of the working class and his precise and potent use of English. He never wastes a word. I'd love to be able to write like Mr Orwell.
vakafx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vakafx »

Miserables Of great writer victor hugo
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

Probably David Foster Wallace. Not only do I love his style, but I love the themes he chooses to tackle and the way he does it. I love the way he portrays depressed characters too.
nurse_kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Still the Best Hope
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nurse-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by nurse_kaitlyn »

Probably Mitch Albom; I know Tuesdays With Morrie is his really famous one, but The Five People You Meet in Heaven was the first time I felt awed by the beauty of the entirety of someone else's life, rather than bits and pieces of a character's life and story. I never thought I would feel so strongly about a protagonist so different from myself. He did the same in The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto; it was a book I would never usually pick up, but completely enchanted me.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

Jk Rowling inspired me the most. My interest in writing was fueled by her story.
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I may have had several over the years but recently, Celeste Ng. When reading her novels, I got an artsy feel and felt very connected to her. One of those authors that leave you recovering from the transition from fantasy to reality.

Return to “Discuss Authors”