Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
rhonda_cherene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhonda-cherene.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by rhonda_cherene »

There's no way I can narrow it down to one, but there are several authors I find myself coming back to and am unable to shake.

Jane Austen is one of my favorite classic novelists. Austen has a way of developing her characters and capturing snapshots of life that are deliciously satirical. She somehow does it in a dry way that keeps it from feeling forced.

P. G. Wodehouse and Mary Roberts Rinehart are what I go for when I'm needing a simple, humorous story. They're a quiet space between historical and contemporary novels that feels soothing to me.

When I'm in the mood for fairy tale retellings, which is often, two of my favorites are Kate Stradling and Edith Pattou. They both write in an older tone, making them feel like the origional fairy tales. They also retell some of the less common stories, instead of the same, tired ones we've all heard a thousand times in a thousand different ways. Both of their worlds have a distinct, believable tone.

Historical fiction/romance is the genre I read the most. My favorites are Roseanna M White and Sarah Sundin. Roseanna has very unique plots and beautiful character developement. Sarah's books are set in 1940-1950, one of my favorite time periods. She manages to make me feel the character's emotions far more than most authors. Her characters feel like friends.

I could go on and on. :D
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

Liane Moriarty! I love the way she writes. I'm also starting to love Kevin Kwan's writing as well.
Faith chebet maina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faith chebet maina »

J.C.kurian
Adesola2019
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Adesola2019 »

I have a lot of favorite authors,I will list them
Jackie chan
Jet li
Rachel McAdams
Robert B. Parker
Jane Smiley
William Smith
Tiger chen
Kathy Reichs
Peter Blauner
P.D. James
Van dan
Ken Follett
Jeffrey Archer
Bruce lee
Nelson DeMille
SMarklund

Post by SMarklund »

My favourite author is Gerald Lund. He researches thoroughly and at the end of each chapter will give you the facts so you don’t get confused between the fictional parts and the historical parts. He is an author that can draw you in right from the first sentence.

My second favourite author is Brandon Mull. He is full of adventure, clean and has underlying lessons for you too learn. He’s interesting for all ages
E_kerbs

Post by E_kerbs »

Jodi Picoult is my favorite author.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Wow, I couldn't possibly choose just one!! A few of my favorite authors are Tolkien, Terry Brooks, C.S. Lewis, Christopher Paolini and Cornelia Funke.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

MFantasy wrote: 03 Nov 2006, 21:15 I have many favorites in different genres. Being an avid reader of most all genres, I read a lot of superb works as well as garbage. I try to read new authors as often as I can.

Stephen King is my all time favorite. He can bring characters to life in a single page.

Next would be JK Rowling for the same reason. Her characters are so real you find yourself expecting to meet them.

Terry Goodkind writes an exciting tale and V.C. Andrews does as well though I don't care for the subjects too much.

Poe is on my read list and who can resist Zane Grey?

That is my top list. I could add pages of books I choose because of the author rather than the title but I will stop there.
I also love JK Rowling! I've been slowly re-reading Harry Potter (I'm on book 5 now) and I had forgotten how much I love the story and the characters!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I have a few different ones.

For young adult it has to be Leigh Bardugo. The Grishaverse floored me with how well she incorporated different cultures and races and the complexity of her characters. Six of Crows was the first book in a while I just could not put down. She leaves you on the edge of your seat on almost every chapter, and her character, Kaz, is a mastermind! The stunts he pulls off that should just not be possible! My favorite quote from her world has to be "Better terrible truths than kind lies."

For dark fantasy, hands down that is Mark Lawrence. The Broken Empire Trilogy brought to life the genre for me. Jorg was a main character who used his agony and betrayal to propel himself forward. Lawrence has also set his novels in a post apocalyptic world, where no one remembers the technologies of today. It is literally like the slate was wiped cleaned and humans started again with medieval times. Some of the castles are built from parking garages! He is subtle in how he describes them though, he never comes out right and names items that come from our time. You have to piece it together yourself. There are so many quotes I've saved from Lawrence, but here is a favorite: "Memory is all we are. Moments and feelings, trapped in amber, strung on filaments of reason. Take a man's memories and you take all of him. Chip away a memory at a time and you destroy him as surely as if you hammered nail after nail in his skull."

For urban fantasy, Kim Harrison. Ivy, Jenks and Rachel are three characters I could never forget. The quick wit and humor, the use of magic and demons, there is just so much to love from Kim Harrison. When I read her books, it's like I'm coming home to read about what my best friends have been up to while I was gone. Any time she killed off a character I was sobbing. I actually wrote to her one time when she killed a character I loved. Not to berate her, but to congratulate her on doing it so tactfully. She sent me a RIP ribbon for the character! Again, I have so many quotes from Kim Harrison, but here is one that stands out to me: "And then there are the rare ones who know love, who understand it.Who freely give themselves, demanding only a return of that love, that trust."
Rikawa

Post by Rikawa »

My favorite author is james patterson i love suspense mystery story would love to read the president is missing but its to expensive here in the phillipines i also love paulo coelho his stories is full of emotions life lesson and it really inspire me in a lot of ways sorry for my bad english😀😀
Danni94

Post by Danni94 »

Their are many authors that I love but my favorite right now is Quinn Loftis i get so attached to the characters. And into the story that I lose my self in the story.
Mariette15
Favorite Author: Patrick Ness
Currently Reading: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 3220

Post by Mariette15 »

I love many authors, but these are my favorite:

JK rowling, though mostly just for harry potter.

PD James, I love love love his books on mystery

Neil Gaiman, I read one of his books, fell in love, read some other books, and realized that this is my style.

Patrick Ness, with him, I somehow ended up reading some books of his, separately, and realized that I kept on returning to his books without even realizing it was him who wrote them.

Soman Chainani, my favorite book of all time is the school for good and evil.

Edgar Allen Poe, because his poems honestly resonate with me.

E.E. cummings, same with him.

So many others, but these are my top ones.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Marion Zimmer Bradley who wrote The Mists of Avalon and a variety of other ethereal, epic novels. And I also love Dan Brown, his books are so gripping and full of new facts for me
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

MFantasy wrote: 03 Nov 2006, 21:15

Next would be JK Rowling for the same reason. Her characters are so real you find yourself expecting to meet them.
Have you read J.K. Rowling’s novels under the name Robert Galbraith? There are 4 in a series of murder mysteries and they are incredible! Lots of well-developed characters and true suspense
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Evie_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evie-123.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Evie_123 »

J.A. Redmerski for her beautiful use of words!

Return to “Discuss Authors”