Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jtminor5
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jtminor5.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by Jtminor5 »

I love reading. I like reading from all different authors because everyone has their own style of writing, dialect, and imagination. I've been addicted to many in the past, RL Stein, JK Rowling, Stephen King, just to name a few. I believe they are all amongst the best because they are capable of making the story come alive. And if you have just a little imagination, they can draw you in to feel as though you are one of the characters...
As of the last year til currently, I have been highly intrigued by Amanda Quick. The particular books I've been reading, one book is linked to the next and so on. They have an old time London setting. They are filled with crime, mystery, thriller, and then the romance sneaks up on you. The romance can either be entirely engrossing, or subtly riveting, depending upon the current scene and setting. Amanda Quick's books are beyond any level of imagination I could of hoped to have had.
Maximus85
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Maximus85 »

My favourite author is Enid Blyton. When i was young in primary school i used to read her books made of great exciting adventures. But later i changed to sci-fi amd mythology books, one of the author Rick Riordan.
halmin
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by halmin »

I enjoy reading different genres particularly romance and thrillers and therefore enjoy books by Stephanie Meyer, John Steinbeck, Stephen King and Nicholas sparks to name a few. My current favourite author is Courtney Milan known for writing historical romantic fiction. I like the Cyclone series with Trade me in particular as the characters are intriguing and there are wonderful representations of issues that affect us today.
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

I enjoy reading different genres mainly romance, mystery, and historical fiction and i enjoy books by Laura loh Roland, Agatha Christie, and J.R Ward. I like the black dagger series that J.R. Ward writes the characters are stand alone.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

George Orwell. I can read his books over and over and never get tired of them. Though it might be because I'm a politics junkie so books so I'm very drawn to Orwell's amazing use of intelligent political commentary in his novels.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Lovewreading89 wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 12:54 I enjoy reading different genres mainly romance, mystery, and historical fiction and i enjoy books by Laura loh Roland, Agatha Christie, and J.R Ward. I like the black dagger series that J.R. Ward writes the characters are stand alone.
I've never read JR Ward's black dagger series but I do enjoy her Bourbon King series.
Lopermann88
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Lopermann88 »

My favorites (because who can choose just one) would be Raymond Carver, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Michael Crichton, Stephen King, and Cormac McCarthy.
Carver and McCarthy in particular have had the biggest impact on me, specifically in my writing. Carver is the reason that I love both reading and writing short stories, and McCarthy’s use of style and brutal narrative specifically colored my most recent anthology.
nobleandpure
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nobleandpure »

so i actually don't really have a favorite author. Bram stokers Dracula is very well written and the plot and characters are very well developed, but the fact that it is such an old book makes it difficult to read. I don't really have a 'favorite' author actually, I have many authors that I enjoy reading such as Marissa Meyer, Stephenie Meyer, Brandon mull, rick riorden, James dasher, and more. but none of those are really authors that I could call favorites.
Diteit

Post by Diteit »

Dennis McHugh for me - his "Dream within a Dream" ending made me drop a tear. I'm not some kind of emotional person at all, so it means much for me.
cosmographist69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cosmographist69.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by cosmographist69 »

For a while mine has been Henry Miller...I think because he was so relevant in the coming age of the modern world. At the time nobody wrote the profanities and gritty vulgarities that he reflected in his personal accounts. Of course I guess I gravitate towards the "hits" as it were because I am of course referring to The Tropic of Cancer specifically. It is a book that, if melancholy enough, you can almost make visceral.
sofiaacxx

Post by sofiaacxx »

My favorite is probably J. Green and S. King because they are both so amazing. Green is just has such good endings and a great slow climax and i just love it. And king is Phenomenal because he writes so good and with so much passion and detail its just wow....
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

My favorite author is Charles Dickens due to his sense of humor. Dickens' descriptions seem as if they are following the movements of a film camera, starting by showing the general surroundings and then moving in and focusing on specific places or people.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

I'd have to say Stephen King. I used to find his work slightly disturbing, however, after picking up one of his books my mom had lying around-- there's no doubt: the man can WRITE! He may draw the story out a little too much at times, making his books exceedingly long, but they're always enjoyable and unpredictable!
KarleighRose
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KarleighRose »

In high school, I was told by my English professor to read the Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. As soon as I opened the novel, I was immediately enthralled by the details and precision given to each and every character, as well as their background stories (at the very least, Offred's speculation as to their background). At first, I didn't understand nor appreciate that Atwood draws the conflict of her novel largely from the past, using it to highlight and solidify the present.

Although, I have learned that by beginning one of her novels with the understanding that she will create a divine world of her own to compel her readers forward, instead of focusing on the flashy lights and glamorized action scenes, her writing is truly intriguing.

I'm almost finished reading the Edible Woman, and although it is not a dystopian world, Atwood still has the magical ability to own any world that she creates and nurture it into full bloom. She completely relies on human thought and emotion to push her plot forward and while this may seem tedious and boring to some, I find it to be an important allusion to the human psyche and personal perspective. We truly do create our own worlds.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

My favorite is David Foster Wallace. Infinite Jest blew my mind and totally changed the way I look at fiction.

Return to “Discuss Authors”