Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SweetSeraphim
Currently Reading: A Brush with Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetseraphim.html
Latest Review: A Search For Truth (2nd Edition) by Sylvia L. Lewis, M.A.

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by SweetSeraphim »

I have a few favorites, but I will go with Dorothy Gilman. She was my first "wow" author. I love her sense of humor and the relatable characters she created. I particularly remember one called Sander that was a burly agent helping Mrs. Polifax on a mission. The quote I remember had him driving the van but periodically taking both hands off the wheel to rub his eyes, consequently giving Mrs. Polifax a near heart attack. Just a lovely author at her best!
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

My favorite author is Tayma Tameen. I really loved Valoria which was the first book I read by her.
She depicts social and political aspects and couples it with a bit of fantasy that you just cant stop reading.
Grace_94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-94.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Grace_94 »

Tough question
I love Kevin Jared his independent and unique style of writing
Then Chimamanda Adichie, great author
James Patterson for his humor and disregard for ’writing rules’
Dan Brown for his deep research and knowledge in character building

That's all I can remember for now, oops!
Wyrd Phoenix
Currently Reading: The Runecasters Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyrd-phoenix.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Wyrd Phoenix »

My all time favorite is Laurell K Hamilton! I have read every book and short story shes published. She paints realistic fantasy scenes that make you feel what the characters are feeling, usually rage, hope, and pleasure.

Second, would be Patricia Briggs. She brings you into her world, but she tints it with current real world issues. I love a strong female lead who transcends gender norms!
Carebearfan116
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carebearfan116 »

I cant believe noone has said james Patterson yet he is one of my favorites, also Edgar poe, and Rick Riordan i read alot George rr Martin Orson Scott card I think is his name Christopher paolini Christopher pike I have alot
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

I really love John Green. I came across him by chance, and now I just can’t stop reading. Not only that, but I also really like Jennifer L. Armentrout. She has a good sense of humor and is extremely creative. I could never come up with something as complex as she does.
easy75

Post by easy75 »

In no particular order:
John Lecarre (RIP), James Lee Burke, Walter Moseley, Richard Ford, E.L. Doctorow, Graham Greene, Norman Maclean, Hemingway, Dickens
GreatWyrmm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by GreatWyrmm »

I have a few absolute favorites to mention.

First by far has got to be R. A. Salvatore. The flow he creates during his combat scenarios runs smooth like a movie in my mind. I forget I am reading a book. Don't forget Drizzt Do'Urden!!!!

Second is Patrick Rothfuss for "The Name of the Wind", book one of the Kingkiller Chronicle. Kvothe is one of the most fascinating characters I have ever met.

Then there is Terry Pratchett. "Good Omens" and "Hogfather". Need I say more?

V. E. Schwab is in my top 10 most definitely. "The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue" is a must read.
Tamika Chitwanga
Currently Reading: The Reason: How I Discovered a Life Worth Living
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamika-chitwanga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Tamika Chitwanga »

:eusa-think: well, this is a tough one as I'm a seasonal reader, I have moods for certain genres... But the top one right now would be Illona Andrews because of their (yes plural, Illona is actually a pseudonym for a married couple that co-authors) Kate Daniels series. Followed by Nalini Singh because of her Archangels series.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

first to last order, Elijah Oladimeji, Bruce Francois, and Rick Branch
Reading_Addict76

Post by Reading_Addict76 »

My personal favourite writer in my opinion is William shakespear. He has many amazing books such as macbeth, romeo and julliet, king lear that were soon transformed in to playes in drama. He is also the most known writer in the world.I love his books and his way of writing. i highly recommend you to read his books if you haven't already. thank you
stanmorrison
Currently Reading: Rage and Mercy Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanmorrison.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by stanmorrison »

Jean Grainger is my favorite writer of fiction. She is Irish and writes delightful books with an Irish slant in the style of the late Maeve Binchy. Since 2010 she has published more than 20 best letters, in 4 different series and 5 standalone books. She currently puts out about two books per year and I am eagerly awaiting her newest which is due out at the end of February.

As she says, her characters live in her imagination and write the books for her as they go through twists and turns that even surprise her from time to time. Their unique but true-to-life characters produce plots that feel genuine and refreshing.

I have visited Ireland a number of times and always enjoy further virtual visits by reading good Irish authors. Denise Deegan who also uses the nom de plume Aimee Alexander has produced some books that I love to go back to, and I am always on the lookout for others.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Currently, my favorite author is Mark Lawrence. He wrote 'The Broken Empire Trilogy'.
I enjoy fantasy books. I've heard about Brandon Sanderson, but I've only read his short stories. I've also heard great things about 'The Wheel of Time'.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
deer_girl15
Currently Reading: A Sand County Almanac
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by deer_girl15 »

Stephen King is my favorite! He can beautifully describe even the most mundane settings and situations in a way that makes me feel like I've lived it. His characters are so well-developed I find myself wondering if I've met them before. His mind composes stories so twisted that I have to question his sanity, but it certainly makes for some entertaining reading.

Anne Tyler is also one of my favorites. Her characters are all very relatable, and she manages to capture the poetic push and pull of struggle and triumph in everyday life. Her writing conveys the quiet desperation of unfulfilled dreams and lost loves that many people experience while simultaneously manifesting contentment and gratitude for the few truly good things that come out of life.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I would say JK Rowling is my favorite, however it is not for any ulterior views, but for their writing on my favorite series of all time. The writing brings the character sot life and gives them nuance in meaning in a world that does not even exist. It is a series I can revisit over and over without failure.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.

Return to “Discuss Authors”