Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by mamalui »

So far I only have one. William H. Coles. I have read one book of his and the experience was out of this world. I am still keeping my options open of course but for now that's it.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Ykeys
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ykeys »

Mine is Chinue Achebe. An African novelist. Followed by Shakespeare and his sweet plays. Jane Austin because of her friction which are amazing love stories, Lord Tennyson's poems... And much more
fiarcurrin
Currently Reading: Demon Freaks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fiarcurrin »

This is gonna sound hella trashy but my favorite novelist is hands down Lisa Kleypas. She write romances novels and her characters are superb.
Don’t get me wrong, she’s had a few bad books but she’s got at least twenty that are home runs. I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve reread her novels. They get me every time.
And I know that romance novelists aren’t really taken as seriously but I think that’s ridiculous! The skill you have to have as a writer to successfully write a sex scene is immense. Because let’s be real, it’s hard not to make those seem silly. And yet Lisa Kleypas pulls it off every time.
ryney

Post by ryney »

Robert Ludlum
AuntPeggy
Currently Reading:

Post by AuntPeggy »

My favorite author is Dean Koontz. I just purchased 53 of his paperbacks from eBay. The box was so heavy I almost broke the hip that I just had replaced trying to get it into my apartment.
I am starting with the first books he wrote and trying to read them in order.
His mind fascinates me. I enjoy the minute details he includes in each section about the characters' surroundings.
I have never been to California, but I feel like I live in the section that each book is set in because of the details he provides.

Wow, and the subjects he covers. The carnival book that I read - the title eludes me - was loaded with the carny slang and how the people live who travel around the country in the circus circuit.

The one I am reading now is Watchers. It is about genetic tampering to create intelligent animals who can spy on our enemies. I just finished Whispers. It was about twins who thought there mother was being reincarnated in women they met who looked like her. I didn't really enjoy that one.

I just arrived at this site and am looking forward to reviewing for a stipend in the future.
AuntPeggy
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

P.J. Parrish, Tolkien, Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, David B. Coe. Just to name a few.
AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlicinWelsh »

My favorite author I would have to say is Rick Riordan. I love so many fantasy and science fiction authors but the only one I know that will never disappoint is Rick. I fell in love with his work when my oldest was in third grade. At that time we were reading 39 Clues together, one of which, Rick was the author. We then moved onto the Percy Jackson series and again, it was something that we could both love, mom and 8 year old.

To me reading is nostalgic. When I think of an author or a book, I think of where I was, how old my kids were and how it made me feel to finish the book. That feeling is essential for me to love a book or relate to an author.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

I have too many authors that I truly enjoy reading to name one as my favorite.

James Patterson is one of my favorites because of his keen ability to draw & build suspense in a story

John Sanford does a tremendous job of portraying his characters in a very artistic way that complements the characters & not bore readers

Toni Morrison speaks like a poet finding fault in things and putting it to paper with a objective edge.

Walter Mosley can take a story from the 60s era and draw you back during a period of unrest, no justice and segregation in a non-subtle way; brings characters to life and his stories will draw the breath out of you (you might be holding your breath).

Patricia Cornwell has the adept skill of explaining every gruesome detail from the morgue perspective and still has time to go home and cook dinner...She's just truly good at exploiting her character's flaws and weaknesses.

There's many more but I won't place them because this reply would be like the energizer bunny.....it keeps going and going and going.
veronicah wanjiku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by veronicah wanjiku »

NGUGI WA THIONGO
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

My favorites are Maragaret Atwood, Dorris Lessing, Emily Bronte, Chinua Achebe.
CHRIS67

Post by CHRIS67 »

Crikey! Where to start?
John Connolly, Neal Stephenson, Lee Child, Mark Lawrence, Anthony Ryan, Steven Erikson,...
My intention is to keep this reply brief otherwise it could be a long, long list.
Remofilwe

Post by Remofilwe »

My favorite author is Shakespeare
kids love books

Post by kids love books »

Nora Roberts is my favorite author
Akalee18

Post by Akalee18 »

My favorite author is c c Hunter
bewleybooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bewleybooks »

My favourites are George RR Martin and JRR Tolkien. While focusing on the fantasy element, both authors give us a taste of how fragile life can be and how futile war really is. They tease out historical elements to provide a rich scene of how the ugly facets of human emotion causes havoc and hell amongst humanity. Brilliant minds, born out of observation and experience that should, in essence, provide a warning to us all.

Return to “Discuss Authors”