Are there any authors who you will never read again?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Are there any authors who you will never read again?

Post by serendipity 27 »

I have yet to come across an author that I swear I will never pick up another book by them again. Has anyone had this experience?
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

Yes, plenty! :lol: I don't want to mention names (so I wouldn’t be judged :shifty: and to avoid bias), but there's this bestselling author for whom I read a book that was filled with inappropriate details that were written in a considerably revolting manner (or maybe that's how they sounded to my adolescent mind), and I hated him ever since. The problem is, I knew the plot of the book before I read it, I just don't understand why I was shocked. AND he has this very popular book that everyone read and everyone recommended to me, but every time I remember that book, I can't even consider reading anything else for him. I know I shouldn't judge an author by one book he/she wrote ( I usually give authors chances), but I can't bring myself to do it with him.

And, of course, there are the authors with unattractive writing styles, bad plots, boring storytelling, and standard violations.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Oh yeah. I have a couple of authors that I won't read due to their behavior outside their writing. I don't like to support people who treat others badly (well documented bad behavior) anyway. Someone can be meh writer and I would support their work over someone who writes great but isn't a good person.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Yeah there is one i read a few days back and i regret reading him. I had to double read every page and i intend to never read again any thing from that author.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

M Zee, I agree with this standard though I admit I've never paid much attention to it.
I have a couple of authors that I won't read due to their behavior outside their writing.
What companies support with their profits, where they invest, those things I try to pay attention to, but I've never thought of authors unless they're brought to my attention in the news or some such. Even then, it's difficult not to read a book I enjoy even if I detest the author's stand in society. How could I like a book written by someone who is so fundamentally different from me? That's a question that would make me want to read their work. Your comment though, makes me think I should probably reconsider. Not because their life, beliefs, and experiences are different but because of what they support.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Amanda Deck wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 11:19 How could I like a book written by someone who is so fundamentally different from me? That's a question that would make me want to read their work. Your comment though, makes me think I should probably reconsider. Not because their life, beliefs, and experiences are different but because of what they support.
It's definitely not easy, either. It's something that I've thought about a lot. I wouldn't say that I'm a person that follows creators (whether books, television, art, etc) obsessively but I try to be aware of how a person treats others, especially if I'm giving them money and other support (like plugging their work to friends). I don't feel right about it if I find out someone *continues* to behave badly - because people do make mistakes.

It can be difficult when it's an author who is really popular or has a big following. Sometimes people get really defensive when they enjoy someone's work!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Plenty. Thank you for not encouraging us to name names, carers would have been ruined lol :)
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

There are a few authors that I refused to every read again, sometimes because of their killing of the main protagonist unexpectedly or complete change of characteristic of a character. I also do not follow authors who are cruel to others in real life and will no longer read anymore of their works.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I can understand an author using racist or sexist behavior of their characters to tell a story or to show transformation. What I can't understand or tolerate though is when an author shows their own racist or sexist leanings through what they choose to describe or not describe about their characters and setting. When a character supposedly transforms from a terrible man to a wonderful but misunderstood man, but he still treats women like playthings, I think it is less the character doing this and more the person pulling the strings!
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I do have a few of those. I also have one author that I really like as a person, but i'm just not a fan of the type of books he writes - its nothing against his writing style (as I'm sure they would be fantastic books) its just the genre - I have a hard time with it.

But I do have one or two authors that everyone seems to love, I read their books and they are just very basic books. No depth to the characters or interesting plot lines. But it makes me think, maybe sometimes we have to read books like that to remind us why we like reading. And to help us cultivate an opinion about why we like what we like.
chibiparty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by chibiparty »

A few. Either the author writes content I really don't like, or the books I read from the author take about 50+ pages for something to happen.

Maybe another one or two for a different reason: Very wordy. It's nice to be able to describe a road winding through the hills, but not in 23 - 30+ words.
JuliaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliaz.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Post by JuliaZ »

Yep. Since we're not naming names here, I'll keep quiet, but I hated his very popular book so much that I threw it across the room when I finished it.

I made the mistake of letting a friend convince me to read a well-known romance author and I hated the book and won't read anything else by her. It was so predictable and formulaic that it made my teeth hurt.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

Yes! I won't name any names but there is one author whose books are written so childishly poorly that I don't think I'll be able to read any of their work ever again. Of course, I hope that their novels become better as the time goes by, but I don't think I can trust them enough to risk and to waste my time at anything they write ever again
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Of course! This is John Norman. In my opinion, he is not just a sexist. He is obsessed with rape and beating, like a maniac.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I don't think I'll ever read E L James again or Stephanie Meyer for that reason. I enjoyed the Twilight series when I was younger but looking back not I realise I just liked it because everyone else liked it and not because the writing was impeccable or the story was good. As for 50 shades, I didn't really like it. I only read it because everyone else was reading it and I didn't want to miss out.

Return to “Discuss Authors”