Mary Stewart Fans

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Mary Stewart Fans

Post by KMSingh »

Is anyone here a fan of Mary Stewart? If so, which of her books is your favorite? Which one do you like to reread?

I think the first book of hers I read was Airs Above the Ground when I was in middle school. Then I forgot about her until I read The Hollow Hill in high school (yeah, I know that was the second book in a series). Then I was hooked on her Merlin Trilogy, though I had to wait years for The Last Enchantment to be published. Also, if I'm feeling blue I like to head off to Corfu and reread This Rough Magic.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I have her Merlin series in my TBR list; they are some of my mom's favorite books about King Arthur.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
KMSingh
Currently Reading:

Post by KMSingh »

Lil Reads wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 21:41 I have her Merlin series in my TBR list; they are some of my mom's favorite books about King Arthur.
I definitely recommend reading them. I'd love to know your thoughts about them. I wasn't crazy about The Wicked Day, which is usually listed as the fourth book. In fact, I think that was one of only two books of hers I didn't care for.
Kate S.

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

KMSingh wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 02:56
Lil Reads wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 21:41 I have her Merlin series in my TBR list; they are some of my mom's favorite books about King Arthur.
I definitely recommend reading them. I'd love to know your thoughts about them. I wasn't crazy about The Wicked Day, which is usually listed as the fourth book. In fact, I think that was one of only two books of hers I didn't care for.
I just checked the online catalogue for my local library system and it looks like they have several of her books so I'll be ordering those soon. I'm curious - was the other book of hers you did not like a stand alone or part of another series?
KMSingh
Currently Reading:

Post by KMSingh »

Lil Reads wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 21:43
I just checked the online catalogue for my local library system and it looks like they have several of her books so I'll be ordering those soon. I'm curious - was the other book of hers you did not like a stand alone or part of another series?
It was a stand-alone called Thunder on the Right. It was the only book of hers that I know of that was written in the third person, so I didn't feel as engaged with the characters. I think my all-time favorite is either Wildfire at Midnight (set on the Isle of Skye) or This Rough Magic (set in Corfu). But really enjoy all of them, except the two I mentioned before.
Kate S.

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

KMSingh wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 09:42

It was a stand-alone called Thunder on the Right. It was the only book of hers that I know of that was written in the third person, so I didn't feel as engaged with the characters. I think my all-time favorite is either Wildfire at Midnight (set on the Isle of Skye) or This Rough Magic (set in Corfu). But really enjoy all of them, except the two I mentioned before.
Interesting - if Thunder on the Right had been in first person, would you have enjoyed it more? I admit I'm surprised neither of your favorites were part of her Arthur series - were those just average for you or did Wicked Day ruin the whole series for you?
KMSingh
Currently Reading:

Post by KMSingh »

Lil Reads wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 02:56

Interesting - if Thunder on the Right had been in first person, would you have enjoyed it more? I admit I'm surprised neither of your favorites were part of her Arthur series - were those just average for you or did Wicked Day ruin the whole series for you?
It's hard for me to pick a favorite book of hers. The two I mentioned are the ones I'm inclined to reread. I've reread The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hill more times than I can remember and they had a significant influence on me as a writer, as well as my love of history. You could say they are all-time favorites and in the top list of books that impacted me as a writer. As for Thunder on the Right, I suspect I would have enjoyed it just as much as her other books if it had been in first person. I think one of the appeals of her books, aside from the great writing, is that you feel like you're having a chat with your best friend as she tells you about her adventures.
Kate S.

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

KMSingh wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 08:08

It's hard for me to pick a favorite book of hers. The two I mentioned are the ones I'm inclined to reread. I've reread The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hill more times than I can remember and they had a significant influence on me as a writer, as well as my love of history. You could say they are all-time favorites and in the top list of books that impacted me as a writer. As for Thunder on the Right, I suspect I would have enjoyed it just as much as her other books if it had been in first person. I think one of the appeals of her books, aside from the great writing, is that you feel like you're having a chat with your best friend as she tells you about her adventures.
I really wish her works were available through my counties elibrary - your recommendations are making me even excited to read her books.

So the tone of most of her works is a major appeal point for you?
KMSingh
Currently Reading:

Post by KMSingh »

Lil Reads wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 18:07

I really wish her works were available through my counties elibrary - your recommendations are making me even excited to read her books.

Yes, I think it works really well for the kind of story she tells. I have all her books in paperback but wish I could get them for my Kindle. I don't think any of them are available for e-readers. That's probably why your elibrary doesn't carry them either.
Kate S.

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

KMSingh wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 21:53

Yes, I think it works really well for the kind of story she tells. I have all her books in paperback but wish I could get them for my Kindle. I don't think any of them are available for e-readers. That's probably why your elibrary doesn't carry them either.
I wonder if that is due to copyright or not enough demand - one very prolific author I like has one series under one of her plethora of pseudonyms and several of the standalone novels under a second pseudonyms available as ebooks, but those under a third pseudonym are still mainly print or sometimes a few as e-audiobooks.
KMSingh
Currently Reading:

Post by KMSingh »

Lil Reads wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 22:21

I wonder if that is due to copyright or not enough demand - one very prolific author I like has one series under one of her plethora of pseudonyms and several of the standalone novels under a second pseudonyms available as ebooks, but those under a third pseudonym are still mainly print or sometimes a few as e-audiobooks.
I wish I knew. I mean, even though I own the paperbacks I would buy the ebooks if they were available.
Kate S.

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

KMSingh wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 03:40

I wish I knew. I mean, even though I own the paperbacks I would buy the ebooks if they were available.
Exactly, if the publishers offered ebook options for more books, maybe including supplemental material, people might buy ecopies of their favorite books.
KMSingh
Currently Reading:

Post by KMSingh »

Lil Reads wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 20:14

Exactly, if the publishers offered ebook options for more books, maybe including supplemental material, people might buy ecopies of their favorite books.
Just this morning I got book recommendations from Amazon and a bunch of Mary Stewart books are now available as ebooks. I just bought Nine Coaches Waiting, another favorite. I hope they're available where you are.
Kate S.

Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

KMSingh wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 12:17
Lil Reads wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 20:14

Just this morning I got book recommendations from Amazon and a bunch of Mary Stewart books are now available as ebooks. I just bought Nine Coaches Waiting, another favorite. I hope they're available where you are.
:shock2: It is like they heard us! :mrgreen:

Thanks for letting me know; I'm going to download some samples later.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

KMSingh wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 08:22 Is anyone here a fan of Mary Stewart? If so, which of her books is your favorite? Which one do you like to reread?

I think the first book of hers I read was Airs Above the Ground when I was in middle school. Then I forgot about her until I read The Hollow Hill in high school (yeah, I know that was the second book in a series). Then I was hooked on her Merlin Trilogy, though I had to wait years for The Last Enchantment to be published. Also, if I'm feeling blue I like to head off to Corfu and reread This Rough Magic.
I really like the Merlin trilogy. I read these books when I was still at school too. They are written in a very beautiful language. Mary Stuart painted pictures like words.
The Wicked Day is just amazing. The author was able to turn the fabulous villain into the main character and a decent man. She herself is a real magician! :D

I also tried to read her crime stories. They are also well written, but crime stories are just not my genre.

Return to “Discuss Authors”