Bruce Coville

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Bruce Coville

Post by Lil Reads »

Does anyone else remember reading his books? I know my elementary and middle school libraries had several books by him across several genres.

The main one I remember was a collection he wrote part of and edited was of stories about unicorns.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I think one of my boys read My Teacher Is An Alien. After looking through the (extremely long!) list of his books, I don't actually recognize any others that they read. That surprised me greatly because his name is so familiar as an author.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Thank you for reminding me to check his bibliography.

I think I read a handful of his books, but some of the titles sounded a bit too much like Goosebumps for me to pick up.

Are his books now considered out of date? :eusa-think:

I think his heyday may have been the 1980s to 1990s so some of his books might not be as popular so they are replaced with books that are considered more relevant.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Well, since I was checking to see if there were any I'd consider for my grandchildren now, they're at least last generation! But that doesn't necessarily mean they're too dated, depends on the book. A lot of authors write for decade after decade after decade. I was shocked to discover how old some of my favorite authors that still write are now. In their 70s, still writing well, and still publishing!
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Some authors are very talented and can keep writing for decades, but sometimes the author needs to adapt to changes in writing trends as well as keep up with modern trends. For example, some of the things I read in some older books were things my grandparents had to explain to me, such as having school versus play clothes or how phone numbers were less than 7 digits.

Books further separated from recent history don't seem to have this same cultural disconnect because the setting seems much further back than it really was.

For Bruce Coville, specifically, I was thinking of how some of his books about teachers or school will seem odd to future generations - I don't remember standardized testing showing up much in his books nor using computers to type up and research schoolwork. A few generations after that, standardized testing and computer usage patterns will make more sense because eventually they will become historical topics to discuss, not yesterday's news.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Ah, that is a name I don't hear much often! I remember reading some of his books, but I don't remember a lot of his titles.

I do remember Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher and the unicorn books. Ah, good times!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Wait he wrote about dragons too? I'll have to look for that in the library book sales!

Return to “Discuss Authors”