Tolkien

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
alamorn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alamorn.html
Latest Review: "The Tower of Babel" by G. T. Anders

Re: Tolkien

Post by alamorn »

Like a lot of people I love the story, but I think it's so obvious that plot was second to exploring the world. So in a lot of ways I like the movies more, because the background doesn't take hours to get through. Also, the fact that he had Eowyn settle down with Faramir and stop being a shield maiden was not my favorite. They should be an awesome battle couple, not having her retire because she's in love. I also enjoy the expanded role of Arwen in the movies. In the books women didn't really exist as anything other than scenery, except for Eowyn, and once her plot is done she settles right down. Blech.
Latest Review: "The Tower of Babel" by G. T. Anders
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

Remember, the movies take into consideration the appendices and other stories by Tolkien.
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

His little world of imagination is somewhat a unique land. The language in 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings' is difficult to understand, but enhances his imaginative world further.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

In the movie it had more of the relationship between Aragorn and Eowyn than the book, but in the appendix it told more about it.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Tolkien is amazing. End of story. Goodbye.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I'm a pretty big Tolkien fan. I admit that his language is somewhat archaic at times, but I think it fits his purpose. Given his area of scholastic expertise, it would be reasonable to read LotR as if it was a mythological work (in accompaniment with The Silmarillion, et al.). That established, Tolkien's genius becomes truly apparent in the poetry that he composes throughout. Each poem reflects a distinct style Tolkien developed for each culture that shares links to existing poetic types found throughout Anglo-Saxon/Germanic literature. I never realized how brilliant it was until I got more into literature in university - certainly well beyond only enjoyment!
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

lady_charlie wrote:Tolkien is amazing. End of story. Goodbye.
LOL! We should end the discussion right about here. 'Nuff said.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

Maud Fitch wrote:
Greatgatsby wrote:I think he has one of the liveliest imaginariness known to mankind.
Try reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next novels - you'll be pleasantly surprised at his imaginariness!

Maude, if you are around I finally am getting around to Thursday -- just got one on my kindle.

I tried so hard to get through The First Man in Rome over the summer, sigh, maybe I will check that out again next summer, there were just so many characters!

-- 27 Sep 2013, 20:42 --
Misaela wrote:
lady_charlie wrote:Tolkien is amazing. End of story. Goodbye.
LOL! We should end the discussion right about here. 'Nuff said.

From someone who has seen HP and LOTR one too many times, that is what Mad Eye says when he introduces himself to the students - I'm here because Dumbledore wants me here, end of story, goodbye. :)

These days every other word I say is a movie quote... obviously! (Snape)
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
EnjoiSkyler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjoiskyler.html

Post by EnjoiSkyler »

YES!

From the ages 14-20 I read the "Lord of the Rings" series every year. I'm saddened that I haven't read them in over 2 years now. I highly suggest Tolkien to everyone.

Skyler
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

I love the Lord of the Rings. Tolkien was brilliant! :-) I feel that the books are better than the movies though.
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
Sine_Ni_Ceallach
Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sine-ni-ceallach.html

Post by Sine_Ni_Ceallach »

His poetry was stellar. The Road Goes Ever On was one of the first poems that I fell in love with!
"I could not be sure she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not." -Edgar Allan Poe
A24

Post by A24 »

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I have never read The Lord of the Rings. It has been on my TBR pile for a long time. I didn't read The Hobbit until last year. I found that a surprisingly difficult read and actually liked the movie a lot better. Perhaps that is why I always put off the LOTR series as I'm afraid it will be long and daunting. I haven't watched the movies as that is a personal rule of mine to not watch them first if I plan to read the books.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tolkien!! LOTR is one of my all time FAVORITES! The fact that he created an entire language says a lot!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
kassie_2000
Favorite Author: Kelly Link
Favorite Book: Tinkers
Currently Reading: Black Swan Green
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kassie-2000.html
fav_author_id: 5517

Post by kassie_2000 »

"The Hobbit" was one of the very first books that flung my eyes wide open to the wonderful world of fiction. My imagination went absolutely nuts for months after reading it. In high school I discovered "The Lord of the Rings" series, and the same thing happened again! I loved losing myself in Tolkien's world; everything felt so realistic and complex. I was genuinely sad when I finished the last book.
robertcjgraves
Favorite Author: Too Many
Favorite Book: Too Many
Currently Reading: And the Mountains Echoed

Post by robertcjgraves »

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are two books I never tire of. I try to re-read one or the other every year.

Return to “Discuss Authors”