Dean Koontz

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sophius
Bookshelf Size: 0

Dean Koontz

Post by Sophius »

I was curious as to whether anyone here had any reccomendations for books he has written. I so far have read two of his works Phantoms, and By the Light of the Moon, and thought that they were decent. Are there any other entertaining ones?
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Where do you start with Dean Koontz?

He’s a prolific writer and in the early days used aliases, e.g. Brian Coffey, Aaron Wolfe, Anthony North, etc. From 1968-2010 he’s written approx 74 books, various series, collections and two graphic novels. His most recent hardback is “What The Night Knows” and a forthcoming paperback is “The Dead Town” book 5 in the re-worked classic Frankenstein series, oddly set in New Orleans.

As suspense novelists go, I’d place him high on the ladder. To answer your question, I like his "Odd Thomas" series, good characters, high tension and gripping plots.
Ashleyt_714

Post by Ashleyt_714 »

I liked Life Expectancy, and the Odd series but my favorite so far has been One Door Away from Heaven
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Ashleyt_714 wrote:I liked Life Expectancy, and the Odd series but my favorite so far has been One Door Away from Heaven
Have your read Relentless? I read that one recently and found it very entertaining, a real classic thrilling Koontz novel. :D
You only live once.....so live!
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I know I have read Relentless, it's a great books so far.
Ashleyt_714

Post by Ashleyt_714 »

i haven't yet.. i guess i'll have to add it to my list of books to pick up lol im on a Stephen King kick right now. the next Koontz book in my stack is The Darkest Evening of the Year, do you know if its any good?
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Ashleyt_714 wrote:i haven't yet.. i guess i'll have to add it to my list of books to pick up lol im on a Stephen King kick right now. the next Koontz book in my stack is The Darkest Evening of the Year, do you know if its any good?
I havent read that one yet im afraid but im sure someone here has and will be able to give you some feedback!

@Jacob, yes, Relentless was very enjoyable, a real thrill a minute story, its hard to keep a readers attention in a horror book from start to end but this book manages it. :D
You only live once.....so live!
lvbooks

Post by lvbooks »

I would say hideaway. First book of his I read. Fell in love with the characters. Definitely recommend.
nursemom77

Post by nursemom77 »

He is my favorite author. The most suspenseful one of his that I have read is "The Face of Fear". I am currently reading "Whispers".
Brigante1981

Post by Brigante1981 »

Odd Thomas is my favourite. I didn't go any further than the second in the series though as it (Forever Odd) was a bit disappointing.

The Husband was another good read - would recommend.

I find him a bit hit and miss, but always worth a shot.

-- 23 Sep 2011, 15:32 --

I have just noticed that the 5th Frankenstein book is out. I haven't read any in the series and just wanted to see how they rated before starting them.
Francine

Post by Francine »

hello
Dean Ray Koontz is a prolific American author best known for his novels which could be described broadly as suspense thrillers.This novel very interesting.
Regards
Francine
Jimrada

Post by Jimrada »

I'm a big fan of Koontz, though, I'm the first to admit that he goes through spells where his books aren't as good. For stand alone books, I like Watchers and The Bad Place. I'm also a fan of the Odd Thomas series that he's done.

Jim Rada
titan21

Post by titan21 »

I've read loads of Dean Koontz and I think it's trash - but in a good way! I think that's part of why I like him so much. His books are easy to get into, entertaining, instant action and you know what your are getting. I'm not saying he is the greatest writer of all time. He's akin to a McDonalds - you wouldn't want one all the time, you'd feel bad eating it and you know that you should be eating something else but you did enjoy it! :)
KirkB
Favorite Author: Kurt Vonnegut
Favorite Book: Galapagos
Currently Reading: Michael Pollan The Omnivores Dilemma
fav_author_id: 2721

Post by KirkB »

I used to read Dean Koontz a lot - but I haven't read one of his novels in awhile, since probably the 90s. They're pretty good, I guess. Some of my favs are:

Twilight Eyes
Strangers
Hideaway
Mr. Murder
goldengate
Favorite Author: Truman Capote
Favorite Book: Music for Chameleons
Currently Reading: Tipping the Velvet -The Sixth Extinction
Reading Device: B01M6YJEAH
fav_author_id: 2834

Post by goldengate »

I have read many of Dean Koontz books. I thought Watchers was one of his best. I happen to like this genre. He is one of the best.

Then there are the very few Jack Ketchums out there. Now THAT man must be a bit twisted - but in a good way... The blood and gore in his books do not put me off at all. Suspense is always there and a strange turn of events. I wish he'd write more. I know that is a pen name so he probably writes in his given name - I will have to check...

I am a book collector and have a large collection of signed Koontz books. I generally collect signed books by authors I especially like - I have a lot of Clive Barker, also. (and Ketchum...)
"I have always imagined Paradise to be a sort of Library." Jorge Louis Borges

Return to “Discuss Authors”