Dean Koontz

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jimrada
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Dean Koontz

Post by Jimrada »

The Bad Place was the first Koontz book that I read and I thought that it was great. I always wished that he had done a sequel to it because I did love the husband and wife detective team.
proudmom25
Favorite Book: Hard to say so... MANY
Currently Reading: The Gift by Cecilia Ahern
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudmom25.html

Post by proudmom25 »

Thankyou. Everyone has said good things about the odd series!! I have them downloaded just have to get to them but it's def next!! Just started a book called NICEVILLE then odd here i come.
~"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves".~
fitzml
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading: The Stranger Beside me by Ann Rule
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzml.html
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by fitzml »

I really liked Dean Koontz until he started venturing away from horror and experimenting with sci-fi, adventure, etc. (I still think his book, "Door to December" (1985) is one of the scariest books ever written.) I admire the courage that changing genres took at such a late stage in his career and when he succeeds, he's great, but when he fails, it's pretty awful (think "Relentless"). His Odd Thomas series absolutely didn't work for me. But "From the Corner of His Eye" has some hilarious scenes, if you don't mind sick and twisted humor and extremely disturbing scenes.
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

Jimrada wrote:I'm a big fan of Koontz, though, I'm the first to admit that he goes through spells where his books aren't as good.

Jim Rada
I think 77 Shadow Street was one of these spells. Definitely not his best. My favorite of his is "The Watchers."
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Carrie R wrote:
Jimrada wrote:I'm a big fan of Koontz, though, I'm the first to admit that he goes through spells where his books aren't as good.

Jim Rada
I think 77 Shadow Street was one of these spells. Definitely not his best. My favorite of his is "The Watchers."
I agree, that was his worst book in my opinion, a real rambling mess of too many characters and a laughable enemy, he tried to blend sci fi with drama with horror and it ended up being none of those things. Shame, as the book had real potential :x
You only live once.....so live!
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

StephenKingman wrote:
I agree, that was his worst book in my opinion, a real rambling mess of too many characters and a laughable enemy, he tried to blend sci fi with drama with horror and it ended up being none of those things. Shame, as the book had real potential :x
Agreed--far too many characters and a weird fusion of enemy.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
jessnight

Post by jessnight »

Hi

My first DK book was Lightening and from that book I was hooked. I've read all of the old ones, but not all of the recent ones. Favourites would be, Life Expectancy, Odd Thomas, Velocity, The Door to December, Sole Survivor. :D
zlam

Post by zlam »

I recommend the Frankenstein series. I found it to be a interesting take from the original story and well worth reading. Watchers was one of my favorites as well. I enjoyed 77 shadow street. I copied the floor plan and when a new character was introduced I placed them where their room was. Kinda made it an adventure.
mhjames

Post by mhjames »

I'm a big fan of Dean Koontz (though I'll admit that he has disappointed me on a few occasions). My top recommendations are The Odd Thomas series, Lightning, and Watchers. I would not recommend The Darkest Evening of the Year (major disappointment).
"I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health." -- Voltaire
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I have read a few of his books. After Dark Rivers of the Heart, which I skipped the middle 100 pages of because I was curious about the ending, I gave up. That was a little nasty for me.
But I haven't read Odd Thomas or Lightning or Watchers so maybe I will try again.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
mhjames

Post by mhjames »

lady_charlie wrote:I have read a few of his books. After Dark Rivers of the Heart, which I skipped the middle 100 pages of because I was curious about the ending, I gave up. That was a little nasty for me.
But I haven't read Odd Thomas or Lightning or Watchers so maybe I will try again.
Some of his books do get rather dark and even sadistic. I'm not opposed to putting a book down if it's too dark or gruesome for me. The good ones by Dean Koontz are worth reading, though.
"I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health." -- Voltaire
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

I'm a big fan of Stephen King.

Over the years, when people hear that, they suggest I read Koontz 'If you like King, you'll love Koontz.'

I read several Koontz books some years ago I don't recall which. Didn't care for his writing.

My questions are: Do you recommend Koontz to people who like King? If so, do you find them similar other than meeting in genre?
amreading

Post by amreading »

Many years ago I read a Dean Koontz book, but for the love of me I can't remember the name of it. He wrote of something like fireflies that invaded the body and forced it into an orgasm essentially. I've lost the book through many moves, does this ring a bell with anyone? Can anyone give me the name of this book? I read it about 16 years ago, I know it's a long time. Thanks ahead of time. :?
EnjoiSkyler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjoiskyler.html

Post by EnjoiSkyler »

The Odd series was decent.

Skyler
raidmar

Post by raidmar »

The Darkest Evening Of The Year blew me away. that was a fantastic read by Mr. Koontz

Return to “Discuss Authors”