Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden, Best Historical Fiction out there!

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Bernard Cornwell and Conn Iggulden, Best Historical Fiction out there!

Post by jcoad »

If you like historical fiction and have not read Bernard Cornwell or Conn Iggulden you are missing some great stories.

Bernard Cornwell has my favorite series in the "Arthur Books" which is centered around King Arthur. You definitely will then need to follow that series up with "The Last Kingdom" series centered around the Viking conquest of England.

"The Emperor" Series based on the life of Julius Caesar from Conn Iggulden is amazing. He also has a series based on Genghis Khan and his family called "The Emperor" series which is also great reading.

Any other Iggulden or Cornwell fans out there????
Halenewt
Currently Reading: Immortalis
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halenewt.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Halenewt »

I also love Conn Iggulden. My favorite part of his writings is the historical accuracy notes at the end of each novel. I enjoy a good historical fiction but always end up doing research after to see what was fact and what was the fiction portion, Iggulden takes care of that for you by noting what he took liberties with and what is true.

I haven't started Cornwell yet but I have The Last Kingdom on my bookshelf and will probably move it up my list if he falls into the same group as Iggulden for historical fiction.

Another great author for historical fiction is Jack Whyte who did a really interesting series on the Arthur legend and another interesting series on the Knights Templar. He runs a little longer in book length than the other two but they are well worth the read.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Thank you for the tip on Jack Whyte, I just looked at his site and now have a whole new list of books to read.

I agree the notes at the end are great. That added layer of what was fact or fiction really wraps up the book experience. I'm pretty sure Cornwell adds these notes as well. I figure when my early 20s son wants to read the Arthur books a second time they must be pretty good.

My son also just started "The War of the Roses" series so I will have to wait a little bit before I can get my hands on that new series

Return to “Discuss Authors”