Humorous Cozy Mystery Authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
d3i6amo7nds
Favorite Author: Cash Peters
Favorite Book: Force of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4606

Re: Humorous Cozy Mystery Authors?

Post by d3i6amo7nds »

Cash Peters' Horror At Horsfield Lodge: A Chillingley Village Mystery is on e of my favourites.
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

Rita Mae Brown and Lilian Jackson Braun are interesting authors. I will add my name to the list of recommendations for them.
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

There are a few popular authors that would fit the bill. Carl Hiassen is funny! All his novels are set in florida and involve hapless criminals. Carlos Ruiz Zafon is great as well. He tends to be more witty war of words humor with scathing remarks. I also highly recommend Neil Gaiman, he fluctuates between fantasy/mystery, but always interjects humor. And if you love vampires like everyone else seems to these days, the Undead series by Davidson is highly entertaining.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
joijoy11

Post by joijoy11 »

Try Donna Andrews and Tim Cockey for laughs out loud.
frontierjeanne

Post by frontierjeanne »

Janet Evanovich
J.D. Robb
David Rosenfelt
Joanne Fluke
Sue Grafton (probably not so cozy, but epic one-liners)

The first two probably fit the bill best, IMHO.
hqioujep

Post by hqioujep »

I love Rita Mae Brown! Add me to the list of fans! I will be checking out the other recommendations. Thanks:)
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

The only one i can think of at the moment is Agatha Christie. The Hercule Poirot series would be perfect for the type of books that you are looking for. The characters are great and the endings are always a surprise. If you haven't already read some of her books, I would definitely suggest giving them a try. They can actually be really fun books.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

Devozna wrote:Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series are definitely worth reading. Mystery and mayhem with a dash of New Jersey sass. Very entertaining.

These books are pretty hilarious, especially the grandma and Lula.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
spaceykasey717
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spaceykasey717.html

Post by spaceykasey717 »

Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" books are great right up until probably book 18, and I just started reading the first Lacey Luzzi book by Gina Lamanna. Haven't decided if I like it yet, but it's worth a try.
RFooter
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams

Post by RFooter »

Sheila Connolly...She has a mystery series called the Orchard Series.....very entertaining
Mbogue3
Currently Reading: The Choice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbogue3.html

Post by Mbogue3 »

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Janet Evanovich's writing style!!! I'm always anticipating what comes next in her books. I especially enjoy her Plum series. She is hilarious and you never know which way you will be thrown around in a book!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

A very funny series which I have mentioned here in the past begins with the book The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz.

The Spellmans are a dysfunctional family of private detectives. All members, including the six year old daughter, are employees of the firm. The stories are told from the perspective of the oldest daughter and are at times laugh-out-loud funny. The author, Lisa Lutz, actually worked in such a firm and it is from this experience that she drew material for her books.

You can read up on the series at Amazon.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
vblackstone
Currently Reading: 1984

Post by vblackstone »

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

These books are laugh out loud, pee your pants funny. I have read every book in the series; some more than once. While the writing and story development may be light and informal (especially to some), they make for an enjoyable read that is hard to put down but easy pick back up. In other words, interruptions may bother you but they won't slow you down and you can jump right back into the story. I read these during lunch, waiting for the doctor, before bed, anytime I could get a few minutes to get a little farther in the story.

I highly recommend them for some good light entertainment!
Ruptain
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ruptain »

Christina2 wrote:I've been switching around in my reading and lately I've liked cozy mysteries a lot and I'm always on the lookout for a new author who not only writes a good mystery series, but adds humor to it.

Have any good suggestions?

OH MY GOSH. I have been dying to share these books with someone! Check out the author J.A. Lang. There are three books--and they're outstanding. Plenty of mystery, more than plenty as far as humor goes! I love love love these books! Let me know what you think when you read them!!

Chef Maurice Mysteries:

1.Chef Maurice and a Spot of Truffle <---my favorite of the three
2.Chef Maurice and the Wrath of Grapes
3.Chef Maurice and the Bunny-Boiler Bake-Off

These are set in a fictional Cotswold village. I love reading books set in the UK, and that are written by a British author. Their wording and storytelling is a whole new world, and just adds to the adventure!

-R
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Va_treehugger wrote: 24 Feb 2012, 01:54 I like the Undead Series by Mary Janice Davidson. Her main character is a smart alec tall blonde vampire queen. Her books crack me up.

I think I heard Janet Evonovich (sp?) books are kind of funny, but haven't read any yet.
Yes on both accounts! I adore MaryJanice Davidson's books! I've read all of the Stephanie Plum and Lizzy/Diesel books by Janet Evanovich, but I will warn you... the Plum series has, like, twenty-four books already and sometimes it can get frustrating. They are great "popcorn" books--they are fun to read but don't read too much into them.

I recommend Amanda M. Lee, Amy Boyles, and Danielle Garrett if you are looking for paranormal cozy mysteries. Boyles is definitely more fantasy (the characters spend time between two realms), although the other two do have their separations of normals from paranormals. Lee has several series, but her main one is the Wicked Witches of the Midwest, which has subseries (Fairy Tales, Shorts) that further develop the world she has created. Garrett has the Beechwood Harbor series--the first series is about witch Holly Boldt and the second is a spin-off primarily featuring ghosts. Holly has a small role in the second series (I actually read that one first), but it isn't necessary to read either series before the other as there isn't much crossover or spoilers.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Discuss Authors”