Remember Enid Blyton?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Re: Remember Enid Blyton?

Post by mary-annef »

Facennagoss wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 12:46 I LOVED Enid Blyton and still do! I read all of The Famous Five, Secret Seven and Faraway Tree series and will encourage my children to do the same. It was Enid Blyton that inspired a love of reading in me.
I recently reread the Faraway Tree for the first time since I was a child. It was wonderful to see it have the same effect on the children I was reading it to as it did on me when my mom read it to me. But do the kids of today relate to The Famous Five and Secret Seven? I would imagine that old fashioned tricks like invisible ink etc. seem a bit lame in today's world of technology?
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Enid Blyton! I remember trying to get a book of hers for free on the internet when I was young and ending up with a virus! I loved her, I found her characters charming, and her description of food always made me crave something! I'm scared to go back to her now because my childhood memory has painted it in such a good light, though, and I've heard things about sexism/classism/racism and I don't want it to taint the memory.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

sevencrows wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 15:25 Enid Blyton! I remember trying to get a book of hers for free on the internet when I was young and ending up with a virus! I loved her, I found her characters charming, and her description of food always made me crave something! I'm scared to go back to her now because my childhood memory has painted it in such a good light, though, and I've heard things about sexism/classism/racism and I don't want it to taint the memory.
I think you'd be okay with the Faraway Tree (unless there was stuff I didn't pick up). I don't know about any others by Blyton because I haven'þread them recently. But I read the original Dr. Dolittle a number of years ago and was appalled at the racist language. I was reading it aloud to a little boy and had to edit it on the fly because he was loving the story and didn't want me to stop reading. It was published 100 years ago though so I hope the later versions have been modified.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

I read the Famous Five and Secret Seven books as a kid. I loved them.

My son has read some of the Secret Seven books and liked them. Our local library has them as well as the Biggles books.

But my son is more into Geronimo Stilton at the moment.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I loved Enid Blyton and all her books.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Of course! She was my favourite author when I was a kid. Her Secret Seven series kept me busy all through the summer.
Nadine1357
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine1357.html
Latest Review: The Necessity of Finance by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by Nadine1357 »

I loved these books, the famous five and the secret 7 were amazing. My mum bought them for me when I was little as she used to love them when she was little. A few years back when I was working in The Works I found a set of the first 5 books of both the famous five and the secret seven and still enjoy them now.

Return to “Discuss Authors”