Jane Austen

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Re: Jane Austen

Post by npandit »

I actually didn't mind Sense and Sensibility, and got into it more and more as I read it, but without knowing why you're finding it hard to get into, I can't really tell you if you'll find it better as you read more.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Ginnydoll
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnydoll.html

Post by Ginnydoll »

I love them all. I got the whole set of her writing in one book at Barnes and Noble and read
it from cover to cover.
My favorite is Pride and Prejudice. I named my daughter after Emma.

Sometimes the drama wears on the nerves and you want to scream "just
say it already!!" But that is how things were back then.
Aubrey_Archard
Favorite Author: Carlos Castaneda
fav_author_id: 22461

Post by Aubrey_Archard »

While Jane Austen's genre is not my favorite, I would like to jump in here and say that her works do have excellent pacing. The description she uses is also top notch, in my opinion.

Due to her skill, though her genre is not my favorite, I enjoy her stuff. Pride and Prejudice is quite captivating. :mrgreen:
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

Austen's experienced quite a popular revival in the last few years. A bit too fussy for my tastes, though. I've already read enough in that novel-of-manners genre such that I feel no compulsion to linger.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
RebeccaRossWrites

Post by RebeccaRossWrites »

Not a big fan of the Bronte's but I do love Jane Austen. I was surprised to find that Emma is one of my favorites. I thought it read fairly quickly for how long it was, but I think it helped that I had seen the movie first.
Cecil

Post by Cecil »

liked her book, especially Pride and Prejudice
Ammonia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=25016">I heart Vegas</a>
Currently Reading: Paws and Jaws
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammonia.html

Post by Ammonia »

I read Pride and Prejudice in my early teen years and couldn't quite get it. I read it several times then and still couldn't get it. When I got older, I decided to give it another shot and realized that after learning more about history and earlier eras I was finally able to get the book and even enjoy Austen's writing to a point where I got to a book store and bought more from her. I have read Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Catharine, some letters, and Northanger Abbey.

If you're still having trouble with the book, try doing a research on people's habits, standpoint and manners in that age. Of course, there's also the possibility that it's just not the book for you. After all, we all have different tastes and likings. :)
aliciawilson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliciawilson.html
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi

Post by aliciawilson »

Sense and Sensibility is the one of the more difficult of Austen's books. Another one people complain about is Emma. Sense and Sensibility does have a great plot to it though. Once you get through it I would recommend reading it again to catch the little things you didn't get before.
Latest Review: "The Prince Nightmare" by Goodwill Ogbuefi
MRosalina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrosalina.html

Post by MRosalina »

I love all of her novels, but not read all at once. For me, like John Grisham or Jodi Picoult, they all all good individually but too much when taken all together. Pride and Prejudice has been one of my favourite books since I was 12.
mydavilar
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydavilar.html

Post by mydavilar »

LOVE Pride and Prejudice! It's been one of my favorite books since high school. Have you tried reading any of the Bronte books? I ended up reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte for school and quite liked it.
whitewing2611
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Sleeping Beauty - Mercedes Lackey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitewing2611.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by whitewing2611 »

Ive only read Pride and Prejudice completely because I randomly found the book but I really enjoyed it. Ive started Emma but find it difficult to get into.
haylethal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haylethal.html

Post by haylethal »

I've ready Pride and Prejudice, however none of Miss Jane's other books. I do think she is amazing, however, and absolutely loved Pride and Prejudice. I really need to get to work on reading her other works. I'm sure I'll become a Janeite forever.
Gemma_375
Currently Reading: Moving
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-375.html

Post by Gemma_375 »

I recently read Pride and Prejudice and didn't really enjoy it, as I personally found the whole premise a little 'pathetic' to be honest. No offence to anybody who enjoys that particular novel, but I was a little disappointed when I finished to find that the whole novel was basically about [Mild spoiler alert] stuffy balls, gossiping women, one dimensional characters and two characters who initially dislike each other then eventually marry. I understand the time it was written, but I certainly spent the majority of the novel feeling bored, and that it lacked a certain depth. I'm remaining open minded about Jane Austen, however, and I do have Sense and Sensibility on my book case to be read at some point!
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I love all of her books and her writing style. However, it is all based on preference.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
joecain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joecain.html

Post by joecain »

Am I a bad person if I like Pride and Prejudice...and Zombies?

Return to “Discuss Authors”