Jane Austen

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Fordette89
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fordette89.html

Re: Jane Austen

Post by Fordette89 »

I usually stick to my fantasy books, but I really like Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. They also have really good movies.
Liz-Nina94

Post by Liz-Nina94 »

Fordette89 wrote:I usually stick to my fantasy books, but I really like Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. They also have really good movies.
i do love it when you can see the characters come to life and compare the characters of the minds creation with those on the screen.
cam_gold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Post by cam_gold »

I just completed Pride and Prejudice. I found it enjoyable and hope to read a lot more of her work. I have been lazy about reading Jane Austen because I have had the disadvantage of seeing the movies made from her books. It was, however, very nice to watch the movie version once more after finishing the book and find that there were no major differences. In fact, reading the book then re-watching the movie added depth to the movie.
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

I've read a few of her books and have found Pride and Prejudice to be the most enjoyable. Her clever wit is most apparent in that book.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
christina_n_m
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-n-m.html

Post by christina_n_m »

My friend who loves Jane Austen recommends the classic text Pride & Prejudice.
wendyj
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyj.html
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid

Post by wendyj »

I actually like Jane Austen. I found that her books were a bit tough to read if I had recently read something a bit more fast paced or intriguing. Once I slowed down and accepted a different pace, I found I enjoyed Austen's writing. It took me several attempts to get into Pride and Prejudice but once I did, I loved it. I went on to read all the spin-offs I could find that were based on Pride and Prejudice.
Latest Review: "The Smile Ambassadors" by Jeffrey Reid
Dezire06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezire06.html

Post by Dezire06 »

Jane Austen is my go to when i want books from an other era, she has a way of writing that will bring tears to your eyes.
sarahdvt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahdvt.html

Post by sarahdvt »

Mansfield park was a very easy read compared to her other novels (except Pride and Prejudice of course!)
Tardipug
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tardipug.html

Post by Tardipug »

Hey there! New to the forum. I just want to start off by saying I LOVE Pride and Prejudice. I went in thinking it was going to be stuffy and boring, but, I was totally wrong! Of course, I enjoy Downton Abbey from time to time so that might have had an influence. I found the parents to be especially hilarious.
JoannaZacha
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joannazacha.html

Post by JoannaZacha »

Pride and Prejudice is by far my most favorite book, I have read it every summer for the past 10 years - I am 20 - and I never get bored of it :)
Kinza Sheikh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinza-sheikh.html

Post by Kinza Sheikh »

I don't know much about her. Just started reading Pride and Prejudice. But i found her writing style quite linear. Which sometimes bore me, but maybe as i go on, the story tend to get better. It can't be that famous if it doesn't.
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I liked the story after I got into it. But I have always loved older stories with different era's. Pride and Prejudice seemed a little faster moving to me. Maybe start there instead. Couldn't stand Mansfield Park though!
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Sarah1 wrote:I liked the story after I got into it. But I have always loved older stories with different era's. Pride and Prejudice seemed a little faster moving to me. Maybe start there instead. Couldn't stand Mansfield Park though!
Reading Mansfield Park at the moment, so far so good; what was it you disliked about it?
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

I totally adore Jane Austen. When I first started reading it took a bit of time to get used to the language but you really do get the hang of it and it's completely worth it. Persuasion and Mansfield Park are my favorites-- the movie adaptions of both aren't too tragic either.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors. Pride and Prejudice is my top favorite! I did find Sense and Sensibility harder to get into though, it just didn't flow like Pride and Prejudice did.

Return to “Discuss Authors”