Jane Austen

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
literarylover+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarylover.html

Re: Jane Austen

Post by literarylover+ »

I would recommend starting with "Pride and Prejudice" for the ultimate Austen experience! If you don't like that then I wouldn't pursue any more of her books. I have read "Sense and Sensibility", "Emma", "Pride and Prejudice", and "Persuasion". I also loved "Persuasion", while the other two I didn't like as much. I would have to say that Jane Austen is responsible for most of my unrealistic, impossibly high expectations for male heroes in literature! lol :)
myrna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myrna.html

Post by myrna »

I love Jane Austen's books. I consider Emma is the best. Sometimes her stories ar hard to follow in the beginning like in Persuasion, but the other chapters are great
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I actually had a whole college class dedicated to Jane Austin's books. It was four books though the semester. They can be hard to get through but they are worth the read.
jonesh91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesh91.html

Post by jonesh91 »

I love Austen. For someone having trouble getting into her novels, I would recommend Northanger Abbey. It was her earliest book- and the style is more relaxed than in her later novels. It's also the most fun in my opinion. The characters are sweet and joke around a lot. It's very engaging, gets to the point fairly quickly, and is a short read.
Melanie_Page
Favorite Book: All of them
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melanie-page.html
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton

Post by Melanie_Page »

I love P and P but Persuasion is an Austen novel that is sadly overlooked. Austen wrote it quite deliberately about a character who had let love pass her by, choosing to follow sensible advice rather than make a risky marriage. That advice proved to be wrong but Austen says and in his analysis C S Lewis agrees that Anne Elliott is the perfect character. She has no flaws, she has nothing for which to reproach herself. In this respect she is like Elinor Dashwood. I sometimes wonder is Austen saw something of herself in Anne Elliott.
Latest Review: "The Serpent Beguiled Eve" by Acacia Slaton
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Just "bought" a bunch of her books and have started (re)reading P&P. It's the only one I have read so far, but I remember loving it and her style, so I thought I would try out some others as well.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

ALynnPowers wrote:Just "bought" a bunch of her books and have started (re)reading P&P. It's the only one I have read so far, but I remember loving it and her style, so I thought I would try out some others as well.
Enjoy the books! :)

P&P is her best in my view, though the others are good as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
domestic_yetti
Favorite Author: Austin
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domestic-yetti.html

Post by domestic_yetti »

I had the same issues but I pushed through. I did enjoy the novel very much. Hands down Pride and Prejudice was my favorite. If you find you cannot get into Sense and Sensibility I recommend trying another one of her novels then maybe going back. Sometimes it helps to get a sense of the author's writing style then attempting to tackle a book that is slower in the beginning.
HMJones
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmjones.html

Post by HMJones »

I'd go for Pride and Prejudice first. There's a reason it's the most famous of the lot. But, my personal favourite Austen is Northanger Abbey. I loved pretty much every second of reading that one.
Kaitlin Lake
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: The Vampire Academy Series
Currently Reading: The City Of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-lake.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Kaitlin Lake »

I absolutely love pride and prejudice by ; Jane Austen. My favorite love story couple in the book is Elizabeth and Mr.Darcy. :D
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I have to say the first time I read Jane Austen was back i high school, it was Emma, and for the life of me I couldn't get into it. I swore from then on I would never read Jane Austen again but that is simply not true.

As I've gotten a bit older I've learned I actually love her books. I think it's less about the plots and everything but more that I just love the feeling of being transported to completely a different place and a different time. It's nice to kind of pretend like I live in that era in England and I really enjoy it.

Since then I've read Emma again and I love it, I think it's funny and light hearted, and I will also love Pride and Prejudice but I can't say I've read Sense and Sensibility.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I loved "Sense and Sensibility" myself, but I have heard others say it's a little slow. "Pride and Prejudice" seems to be the favorite among most Austen readers, so I would probably start there. "Persuasion" is a good one and "Northanger Abbey" has a nice haunting feel to it. Fun to read around Halloween.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I also had problems with Sense and Sensibility. I love Pride and Prejudice, and Emma was good.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Pride and Prejudice is a beautifully written book. There is something undeniably musical about its sentences... but the story is a bit boring. Maybe back in the day it was revolutionary but I don't think I'll ever have the patience to read it again!
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Jane Austen is one of the few examples where I prefer the films to the books. I appreciate her great work, especially in a time period that discourage female authors. But the films help break up the monotony of the novels and focus on the great story lines. Her novels are wonderful but they are definitely a little slow and difficult to get through at times.

Return to “Discuss Authors”