Jane Austen

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Jane Austen

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I started by reading Pride and Prejudice after I watched the movie, and I was hooked (I read it 5 times!). I then read sense and sensibility but it wasn't as compelling and exciting as P&P, at some point I even found it monotone ad boring. But I loved Emma, and I'm looking forward to read the rest of her work.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

The Bronte sisters are too maudlin.
I prefer Jane Austin though Mansfield Park was a little difficult to read to the end, I enjoyed Persuaion. And of course Pride and Prejudice was also great. Sense and Sensibility, I read many years after I had read her other books and I'm not sure if I liked it or not.
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

Maybe it was the time in my life or maybe I see Anne a bit in myself, but my favorite has been Persuasion since the first time I read it. I do enjoy Emma's young silliness, Elizabeth's wit and so many other small details and quirks Jane Austen uses to create her characters. So many of today's writers, whether they consciously realize it or not, use Austen's plot in their own books. The woman who thinks love has passed her by "Persuasion". Realizing the one you love has always been there for you and always loved you "Emma". Torn apart by class disparity "Pride and Prejudice".
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The first book I read by her was Pride and Prejudice and I was absolutely taken with her. I was 10 at the time and just beginning to form my reading taste so she has nostalgic value for me. The only other book by her that I finished was Emma which I also enjoyed.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

Austen is one of my favorite authors. I've read all her novels and some of her lesser pieces. For those interested, there is a lovely film I recommend to all Austen fans: Miss Austen Regrets. This is from the film's description on Amazon:
Based on Jane Austen's actual letters and diaries, this drama unravels the secrets of this elusive woman. Jane is nearing her forties and has never married. To her niece, Fanny Knight Jane is a favorite aunt who offers the wisdom and knowledge that will help her in her own search for a happy marriage. But surely the woman so capable of writing love on the page must have experienced love herself?
There was another film about her titled Becoming Jane that was really disappointing. Miss Austen Regrets is the one to see.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

Mairin wrote: 04 Jan 2011, 15:52 I was curious if anybody has read any Jane Austen? In particular I started Sense and Sensibility. I'm finding it hard to get into and was wondering if anyone else thought so or if it gets better. Or perhaps I should try another of hers besides this?
Sense and Sensibility is a wonderful book, but not, perhaps, the easiest to get into. I recommend starting with Pride and Prejudice or Persuasion.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

Pride and Prejudice is my all time favorite read and Persuasion follows in a tight second. My mom loves Sense and Sensibility, but it's not my favorite by far. Not sure why but I just can't get excited about it, although I'll listen to it while at work as background and it's good that way.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I've read Pride and Prejudice. The language is a tad hard to understand just because we don't use that terminology but it is a fantastic read.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I haven't read sense and sensibility but i have read pride and prejudice and that really good.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I've read all the major novels written by Jane Austen, most of them more than once. I absolutely love her writing style. I will admit, many of her books are rather slow at the beginning and take a while to build up. The beginning of Emma was a bit rough for me. I also tend to like the film adaptations of her novels. Most of them have been translated to the screen quite well.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html

Post by Ksharmilla »

Sense and Sensibility is a little difficult to get into. I managed to read it out a few times. I quite enjoyed the story. Pride and Prejudice flows much faster and is easier to read. The two books are quite similar in circumstances and story. Emma is a little difficult but that story is quite unlike any of her other works and I would definitely recommend it.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I found Jane Austen gets a lot easier to digest the more you read her. I wouldn't say any of her books are easier to read than Sense and Sensibility . If you develop a taste for her dry humor, it becomes much more enjoyable.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

In my opinion this is the best order to read her:
1. Pride and Prejudice (my second favorite book of hers, it is very easy to get into and highly entertaining)
2. Northanger Abbey (very funny and on the easy side)
3. Sense and Sensibility (gets a bit harder but pleasant overall)
4. Emma (I enjoyed it more the second time I read it, once I was in on all the jokes)
5. Mansfield Park (this one was the hardest for me)
6. Persuasion (my personal favorite)

As a bonus, "Lady Susan" can be read after Mansfield Park to add some levity and fun after such a long book.
piplup45
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piplup45.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by piplup45 »

I was required to read both Pride and Prejudice and Emma in high school. Jane Austen is a chore to read, especially if you’re reading an old edition. I find her to be stunted in the early stages of adolescence and obsessed with the idea of a perfect love, but she doesn’t know how to write about it because she has never experienced it.
BellaGBear
Currently Reading: Ethnography after Humanism
Bookshelf Size: 1567
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellagbear.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by BellaGBear »

I love them but they can be hard to get into! What helped for me was first watching the movie adaptations so you know which direction the story broadly goes. Also, listening to audiobooks helped me to understand the books better. If you find an audiobook which is narrated by an old English lady it will be the best experience ever!

Return to “Discuss Authors”