Philippa Gregory

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Royalblue0519
Bookshelf Size: 0

Philippa Gregory

Post by Royalblue0519 »

I absolutly love fiction books based on history, I feel I'm getting a look into history but it is such a fun read. I really enjoy how Philippa writes and she also does a lot of research on her characters. Another great author for this time period is Alison Weir.
Anyone else know of any great authors that write about this time period in history?
what are your favorite books from her?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Royalblue0519 wrote:I absolutly love fiction books based on history, I feel I'm getting a look into history but it is such a fun read. I really enjoy how Philippa writes and she also does a lot of research on her characters. Another great author for this time period is Alison Weir.
Anyone else know of any great authors that write about this time period in history?
Have you read any C J Sansom? If not I'd recommend Revelation or Dark Fire. Simon Scarrow is another superb historical fiction writer.
Royalblue0519

Post by Royalblue0519 »

Fran wrote:
Royalblue0519 wrote:I absolutly love fiction books based on history, I feel I'm getting a look into history but it is such a fun read. I really enjoy how Philippa writes and she also does a lot of research on her characters. Another great author for this time period is Alison Weir.
Have you read any C J Sansom? If not I'd recommend Revelation or Dark Fire. Simon Scarrow is another superb historical fiction writer.
Thanks I just checked out the author on Amazon and his books look very interesting and good reads. I am currently reading The Red Queen but it looks like I found my next read with Dark Fire.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

I started to read Victoria Holt's My Enemy the Queen and it was fairly good, but just didn't do it for me. Others have liked it though, so maybe its worth giving a try.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

I love historical fiction!

Philippa Gregory is defiantly a favourite! I'm not sure if your looking for tales set specifically in England but I loved Lindsey Davis and her Falco series. She also has a book entitled Rebels and Traitors which is about the English civil war. Though it is long I was hooked!
Missbetty

Post by Missbetty »

I also love historical fiction! Phillipa Gregory is great escapist reading! I enjoyed the Tudor series very much, but have not read the latest one. (I also love the HBO series 'The Tudors'... totally unrelated to Phillipa Gregory, but another guilty pleasure! :lol: ) Have you read Gregory's Wideacre Trilogy? That is worth a read too!

Hilary Mantle's Wolf Hall, centered around the early life of Thomas Cromwell, is fantastic and I'd recommend it to everyone. It's definately one of my favourite books that have come out in the past few years.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

I love Phillipa Gregory's books; her writing isn't always that impressive, but she's skilled at holding the audience's attention and spinning together an entertaining guilty-pleasure read. Her novels also motivated me to pick up some non-fiction books and learn more about the real lives of her subjects.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." - Oscar Wilde
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

You may already know this, however Philippa Gregory has two new books coming out in September. "The Lady Of The Rivers" book 3 in Cousins War and non-fiction "The Women Of The Cousins War" about the Duchess, the Queen and the King's mother which I am very keen to read.

Also, if you want similar novels which apparently Philippa herself recommends, there's "The Perfect Sinner" by Will Davenport or "The Principessa" by Christie Dickason. Set in an earlier time, I love an older trilogy by historical Arthurian author Mary Stewart, written from Merlin's viewpoint (which was special at the time) starting with "The Crystal Cave".
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Noia

Post by Noia »

Just dropping by to say I'm a huge huge fan of Gregory too :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Noia wrote:Just dropping by to say I'm a huge huge fan of Gregory too :)

I finished 'The Other Queen' last night .... Gregory is very good at making history accessible & readable.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Noia

Post by Noia »

Fran wrote:
Noia wrote:Just dropping by to say I'm a huge huge fan of Gregory too :)

I finished 'The Other Queen' last night .... Gregory is very good at making history accessible & readable.
Aye!
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I have read quite a few of hers.

She seems to be sticking with the Tudor era with all her latest books - the best of these by far IMO is The Other Boleyn Girl - written in first person as Mary, sister of Anne Boleyn.
Was also made into mini series for TV
As was The White Queen

Other Tudor era ones by her that I have read are The Virgins Lover, about Lord Dudley, the suppossed lover of Queen Elizabeth 1st, and The Queen's Fool about a jester at the court of Mary and Elizabeth. Both good books but not as good.

Have read some of her earlier works too - Earthly Joys and its sequel Virgin Earth - both based on the real lives of John Tradescant senior and junior, gardeners to King James and Elizabeth 1st. Very good books.

Also A Respectable Trade - story of the slave trade as it affected England - quite an eye opener to realise the large part England played in this - although book does stretch credibilty in events of some of the fictional characters.
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

I love Gregory's books...the most recent one I read was The White Queen and found it to be fantastic. I also really enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl, The Constant Princess and so many others set during the Tudor era.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
Ella

Post by Ella »

I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, which I loved. I do have a few of her other books, but I think they are from her other series. I can never seem to keep them straight
zifranka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zifranka.html

Post by zifranka »

She's easy to read and yes, I do enjoy period books. Books like that are the few instances I really do stick to the book version compared to the motion picture. Historical drama has plenty of scheming and backbiting, so it's infinitely more interesting to read the characters' point of view at any given time. Usually they're painted very vividly, too, so there really would be no need to see it on screen. Though of course, it's always nice to see the set come to life.

Return to “Discuss Authors”