R.L. Stine

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
CSM-writer
Currently Reading: The Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csm-writer.html
Reading Device: B00IZ1XVAC

Re: R.L. Stine

Post by CSM-writer »

My daughter is nearly obsessed with the movies. When she started watching their movies, I told her about how I read them when I was her age. She looked at me like I had completely lost my mind.
I wasn't as into the series as she is with the movies made from the series, but I read a fair few and enjoyed the ones I did read.
Birdywerntz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdywerntz.html

Post by Birdywerntz »

I used to love Goosebumps books and the "Fear Street" books as well. I just saw the new Goosebumps movie not too long ago and it was such a fun trip down memory lane!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

When I was in second grade, our school library had all the R.L. Stine books and I read every single one! They were so fun, and at that age, very scary! I think that is why as an adult I love Stephen King so much. The Goosebumps books definitely made me fall in love with horror novels.
KFolg
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfolg.html

Post by KFolg »

I think Stine is often overlooked due to horror type genre or what some people consider grotesque themes. This was one of the first authors that helped me read more quickly and get into reading. I built up my confidence and read anyone I could get my hands on. My tastes have grown since Middle School but I still appreciate what his books did for me.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I read them when I was younger. I remember sometimes I would have a hard time trying to fall asleep at night after reading one of his books.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

At the time that I wanted to read the Goosebumps series, Harry Potter books were becoming a Hollywood and literary sensation. I saw my peers in school always reading Goosebumps books, which made me want to read them so bad!

So, Harry Potter and the wizard world won my interest over Goosebumps. Do I regret it? No. I have seen some Goosebumps movies and barely learned about R. L. Stine. He seems like a good author based on the popularity of his book series. I cannot establish a legitimate opinion about this author, but he offers awesome creativity.
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Post by jessejaiden94 »

Those books along with "scary stories to read in the dark" consistently had me up all night when I was younger.
I was too afraid to watch scary movies and those books let me turn up or down the scariness factor in my own mind which was nice.
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

I've only read the Goosebumps series growing up. Does he still currently publish? What else has he written :?:
Taresh Bansal

Post by Taresh Bansal »

Best best best
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

When I was younger I had many R.L. Stine books, the Goosebumps series and the Fear Street books. I loved his stories and his descriptions. I'm a huge horror movie fan so I loved that his books were supposed to be scary. I don't remember what happened to all my books (maybe my mom gave them away?), but I wish I still had the collection.
I saw the Goosebumps movie last year and thought Jack Black did a good job portraying the author. It was an amusing film and made me remember being a kid and reading his books.
Back in 2013 I read his adult novel Red Rain. Has anyone else read that?
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

DuchessAngel37 wrote:I had every book in the Fear Street Series. I loved him,

He did move on to adult fiction. The only book that I know of is Superstition. It was classic RL Stine, reminded me a lot of Stephen King
I loved this series when I was younger. I didn't know about the book, Superstition. I'm going to have to find it and read it!!!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
milyjohnson
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by milyjohnson »

I loved the Fear Street books. I have a lot of them. I would love to buy all of them. I enjoyed the fact that they are thrillers and mysteries.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

I've been reading R.L. Stine since I was 8. I didn't read too much Goosebumps, but I loved Fear Street. I feel he should be way more popular.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Goosebumps was amazing. I particularly loved the "Give Yourself Goosebumps" series where you get to choose the scare. R. L Stine made my childhood a lot more fun.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I still have some of the Goosebumps books I plan to read. I'm probably too old to enjoy them as I have when I was a child but it's comforting to return to the lighthearted and familiar sometimes. I went on a bit of a Goosebumps binge in my 2nd year of university because I needed a break after reading so many complex articles and books. I wouldn't say Stine is a brilliant author, but he was a prolific writer and his formula worked. I've read a Fear Street here and there and there's definitely a darker and more mature tone in them.

Return to “Discuss Authors”