R.L. Stine

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
kasi33
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasi33.html
Latest Review: "Men's Guide To Trouble Women" by Jonathan ago

Re: R.L. Stine

Post by kasi33 »

I remember reading "The ghost that lived next door", and experiencing a complete plot twist for the first time! SPOILER ALERT- the ghost living next door is living, and the narrator is the ghost! MIND BLOWN!
"Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them." — Neil Gaiman
Latest Review: "Men's Guide To Trouble Women" by Jonathan ago
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

knightss wrote:haha i used to love goosebumps! i probably have around 50 goosebumps books. the best ones were the ones where you can pick you own ending. those were pretty much the only books i read in elementary school.
I used to hate those picking your own ending types. The book would finish so quickly. I used to try and follow both choices by using my fingers as markers, but I got so confused. I rather like a book which starts at the beginning and ends at the end

-- 03 Jun 2014, 11:04 --
kasi33 wrote:I remember reading "The ghost that lived next door", and experiencing a complete plot twist for the first time! SPOILER ALERT- the ghost living next door is living, and the narrator is the ghost! MIND BLOWN!

Yeah. I remember that book. Of all the goosebumps that is probably one of my favorites.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Scarlet88
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet88.html

Post by Scarlet88 »

Loved R.L Stine! and the TV series they based upon the books. The first copy I read was The Girl Who Cried Monster. Goosebumps was huge at my school and there were competitions between who had the most in their collection.
qwietstorm

Post by qwietstorm »

Yes, I was a huge R.L Stine Goosebumps reader in 6th grade. My favorite Goosebumps book was entitled, "The Cuckoo Clock of Doom." I recall many other Goosebumps stories too, and each one of them had me clinging to the pages and shivering. These will always be an old favorite of mine, regardless of age.
AryanaMender
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aryanamender.html

Post by AryanaMender »

Goosebumps was a very large part of my childhood. I loved those books and the resulting television show. I'll still read the books with my nieces or watch the show with them if I'm feeling nostalgic.

There was one book I didn't like--The Sitter. It was more adult and very creepy. There was too much going on inside the plot to keep track and a great deal of what was happening just didn't add up at the end. I still have the book hidden away on one of my shelves, but it just collects dust.
Sciadoe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sciadoe.html

Post by Sciadoe »

I loved R.L. Stine as a kid. His stories were good for a thrill or two. I think the one that stuck with me the most was the one about the ventriloquist dummy that came to life. I still have a phobia of dummies to this day!
cbmatte07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbmatte07.html

Post by cbmatte07 »

When I think of R L Stine the Goosebumps Series I think back to my pre-teen reading days (including Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, ect..) He was by far my favorite author as a young teen. I collected his books any chance I had whether from Scholastics or from yard sales to used book stores, I would pick them up any chance I got. I had a determination to collect ALL of them, and I gave my best effort. I would arrange them in numerical order in my book shelves too. I would still probably read an R L Stine book as an adult if I came across one.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

R. L. Stine was one of my favorite authors as a child. I loved those books so much, I would read them one right after the other.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

But even though I loved reading them when I was around 13 years old, I don't think I could bear to read another one now.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Whoo! I haven't read this guy's work in forever, but he was one of the first authors I ever truly "followed" when I was younger, Started reading him in 5th grade because my teacher had several books of his. Then I went to the library and read all that they had. I might have even collected them for myself at home as well. Mostly Goosebumps, but I think I remember some other stories as well. Of course they were horror stories, but even at age 10, I didn't think they were very scary.
JocelynC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelync.html

Post by JocelynC »

i have always loved all of R.l stines books but i always loved more the fear street series. i would check out a pack of his books each time i went to the library
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Is this guy still writing? Anyone know what's going on with him these days?
AnaMae12

Post by AnaMae12 »

I used to read the Goosebumps books ALL the time when I was little! I loved them so much. I don't know if he writes other books but I do have to say my favourite ones written by him were the ones where you would choose what would happen next throughout the story
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I used to love R.L. Stine! I had so many books from his Goosebumps and Fear Street series'. That was a llllooonnnggg time ago, though (mid-'90s). I wonder if he has written anything recently?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
energizerabby

Post by energizerabby »

Im excited to see what they will do with turning this series into a tv show... hopefully draw another generation into his books.

I read goosebumps when i was younger, and grew into "the babysitter" series...still have those actually... right up there with Christopher Pike

Return to “Discuss Authors”