Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dame_Shan
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Stephen King

Post by Dame_Shan »

The Stand (1978) is probably the most prolific book written by Stephen King. The setting is 1984 pre-apocryphal setting to a biological (Flu) warfare that spans across the United States. The Stand has multiple character plots that lead the good vs the bad to a final supernatural battle. Stephen King makes his reads fun with splashes of pop music lyrics and references to current events and places.
bthomas47
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bthomas47.html

Post by bthomas47 »

Stephen King is one of my very favorite authors. He's very descriptive when he writes, sometimes even too descriptive. If I had to suggest a starting point to his books I would recommend his dark tower series. There are no movies (yet) to compare it to so you can use your full imagination as you read. He also ties almost every one of his other books into this series in one way or another. His newer books are excellent too. Two great stand alone books are Under the Dome and 11-22-63. Hope this helps :)
VictoriaHopwood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriahopwood.html

Post by VictoriaHopwood »

I would read Carrie if I were you. It's a fantastic book and you'll find yourself addicted to Stephen King Novels after.
KristinaS
Favorite Author: Too many
Currently Reading: Wake
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinas.html

Post by KristinaS »

I have read by him only Joyland and it totally got me. The characters, story and everything it is one of his shorter books but it is awesome. I can not wait to have another of his books in my hands.
Mariami
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariami.html
Latest Review: "The Imperium Collection" by Gareth Torrance

Post by Mariami »

I really can't decide: The Green Mile, 11/22/63, The Dark Tower series, Under the Dome, Duma Key, The Stand :shock:
Latest Review: "The Imperium Collection" by Gareth Torrance
nunu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nunu.html
Latest Review: "The Sisters Of Kirley" by A I West

Post by nunu »

If you're wanting an introduction into Stephen King's mind without reading his horror writings, I would suggest reading the Dark Tower series. It is seven books long, so its quite a commitment, but they are exciting with superb character development throughout the series.
Latest Review: "The Sisters Of Kirley" by A I West
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

I've read many novels by him, but my favorites are Dolores Claiborne and Bag of Bones as the horror is more than just the supernatural.

I've never read the Stand, Dark tower series.
louiebeck

Post by louiebeck »

Stephen Edwin King is an American author of contemporary horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, science fiction, and fantasy. and this author is my favorite one And Revival is the Amazing novel from Stephen Edwin.
Thanks , :)
Caroline Wintle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-wintle.html

Post by Caroline Wintle »

One of my favourite Stephen King books is 11.22.63, it is about time travel and the assassination of JFK, it has also been turned into a tv series.
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

I've read several Stephen King books and loved them, but I'm having a hard time getting into The Shining. I'm on page 300 of 450 so I'm quite a ways into it, but still can't seem to like it although lots of people do. Did anybody else have a hard time getting into it?
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

andicakes9 wrote:I've read several Stephen King books and loved them, but I'm having a hard time getting into The Shining. I'm on page 300 of 450 so I'm quite a ways into it, but still can't seem to like it although lots of people do. Did anybody else have a hard time getting into it?
Oh yeah. This was the first book of his I read and I struggled to finish it! I've heard such good things I thought I was the only one. I re-read it last year to see if it was any better. Some scenes were better than I remembered but overall I still wasn't thrilled :(
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
andicakes9 wrote:I've read several Stephen King books and loved them, but I'm having a hard time getting into The Shining. I'm on page 300 of 450 so I'm quite a ways into it, but still can't seem to like it although lots of people do. Did anybody else have a hard time getting into it?
Oh yeah. This was the first book of his I read and I struggled to finish it! I've heard such good things I thought I was the only one. I re-read it last year to see if it was any better. Some scenes were better than I remembered but overall I still wasn't thrilled :(
Have you seen the movie? Could that had an effect on your opinion? I have not read the Shining but I understand Kubrick changed it quite a bit
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

rockandroll wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
Have you seen the movie? Could that had an effect on your opinion? I have not read the Shining but I understand Kubrick changed it quite a bit
I only watched it after I read the book the first time. At one point I wondered if it felt extremely long and boring to mirror the tedious life the characters were being affected by :lol2:
andicakes9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Post by andicakes9 »

rockandroll wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:

I saw the movie 10 years ago and I don't remember it so no it didn't change my view. Since I know Stephen King was not a fan of the movie, I decided to read it first then watch. :cry:
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I didn't have a hard time getting into it. I did really enjoy it, even though there were some parts of the story I wasn't expecting. There was a newer book by Stephen King I was not a fan of, Revival. It didn't seem all that supernatural, and wasn't really scary or thrilling to me.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Return to “Discuss Authors”