Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
andicakes9
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andicakes9.html

Re: Stephen King

Post by andicakes9 »

aparsons wrote:
andicakes9 wrote:I've read several Stephen King books and loved them, but I'm having a hard time getting into The Shining. I'm on page 300 of 450 so I'm quite a ways into it, but still can't seem to like it although lots of people do. Did anybody else have a hard time getting into it?
I didn't have a hard time getting into it. I did really enjoy it, even though there were some parts of the story I wasn't expecting. There was a newer book by Stephen King I was not a fan of, Revival. It didn't seem all that supernatural, and wasn't really scary or thrilling to me.

I started enjoying the book but it wasn't until about page 360 that I got into it. It was just too much in the beginning. I know he really puts a lot of effect into the characters, but it was too long. Thanks for the Revival review I've heard some mixed opinions about it.
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

rockandroll wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
andicakes9 wrote:I've read several Stephen King books and loved them, but I'm having a hard time getting into The Shining. I'm on page 300 of 450 so I'm quite a ways into it, but still can't seem to like it although lots of people do. Did anybody else have a hard time getting into it?
Oh yeah. This was the first book of his I read and I struggled to finish it! I've heard such good things I thought I was the only one. I re-read it last year to see if it was any better. Some scenes were better than I remembered but overall I still wasn't thrilled :(
Have you seen the movie? Could that had an effect on your opinion? I have not read the Shining but I understand Kubrick changed it quite a bit
Yes! I started reading this book last spring and I stopped a little after halfway. I was extremely bored with it. I feel like the movie may have effected my judgement. I wasn't connecting at all with the wife or son. I like to picture my own character's and all I kept seeing was the actors faces! I was waiting for the suspense and got nothing. Maybe I'm too impatient?
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Beautiful_Soul wrote:
Yes! I started reading this book last spring and I stopped a little after halfway. I was extremely bored with it. I feel like the movie may have effected my judgement. I wasn't connecting at all with the wife or son. I like to picture my own character's and all I kept seeing was the actors faces! I was waiting for the suspense and got nothing. Maybe I'm too impatient?
There are some decent suspenseful parts, but I feel like maybe they were few and far between.
Purplebeauty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplebeauty.html
Reading Device: B007HCCNJU

Post by Purplebeauty »

I love Stephen King's books. He's the best in writing mystery novels. I read tons of his book but can't remember the titles on the top of my head. It's been a long time. In high school, one of his novels was the class book.
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
There are some decent suspenseful parts, but I feel like maybe they were few and far between.
Definitely. I did read a few chilling events here and there. It wasn't 100% boring. Maybe that wasn't the best novel to start with. I read Joyland last summer and I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend some good short stories? My attention span sucks. I would like to try some of his shorter novels before commiting to his longer stories.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Beautiful_Soul wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
Definitely. I did read a few chilling events here and there. It wasn't 100% boring. Maybe that wasn't the best novel to start with. I read Joyland last summer and I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend some good short stories? My attention span sucks. I would like to try some of his shorter novels before commiting to his longer stories.
Carrie was good and it's pretty short. I also loved Pet Sematary, it's a little bit longer than Carrie but extremely creepy.
fiteshanda8

Post by fiteshanda8 »

Love Stephen King, Love all of his books and movies and I agree with everyone's posts that I've read on this topic. All of his books are good! When I first started reading his work though, I read the things he wrote under his first writing name "Richard Bachman" He wrote a lot of amazing short stories that give you just enough that you'll itch for more! My suggestion would be "The Bachman books" - Stephen King written as Richard Bachman. This compilation has in it 'Rage', ' the long walk', ' roadwork', and ' The running man'. Good luck to you and your reading indulgences! (Ps The running man is my FAVORITE )

-- 28 Feb 2016, 10:49 --
Taylor Razzani wrote:
Beautiful_Soul wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
Carrie was good and it's pretty short. I also loved Pet Sematary, it's a little bit longer than Carrie but extremely creepy.
Just commented under you lol read his short stories when he wrote as Richard Bachman! AMAZING
Beautiful_Soul

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

Thank you! I will definitely look into his earlier writings. I don't know how he comes up with this some of these creepy ideas! My imagination is terrible.
Taylor Razzani

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I found a copy of those short stories at a library book sale, I was very excited! Perhaps they will be my next read. :D
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Latest Review: "Drop Dead Gorgeous" by Donald Allen Kirch
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

Wow, where do I begin? Stephen King has written so many good works, and the movies/TV adaptations really don't do them justice. If I had to suggest where to start, I would probably start with either The Shining or Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. They are both such well known works, and the stories go incredibly fast. My personal favorite from King is Doctor Sleep. I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and couldn't put it down. However, since you haven't read The Shining yet and it is the prequel, I would read that first. I hope you can delve into the shroud of mystery and thrills that King has instated through his works. You will not be disappointed!
fiteshanda8

Post by fiteshanda8 »

Beautiful_Soul wrote:Thank you! I will definitely look into his earlier writings. I don't know how he comes up with this some of these creepy ideas! My imagination is terrible.
I know it! He's a genius!!! Haha but honestly he has newer short story compilations as well 'everythings eventual' and ' bazaar of bad dreams( which is his newest on the shelf I believe) both good reads!
Beautiful_Soul

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

@HorrorFan87 Wow, I completely forgot that I've read Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption! That was the very first Stephen King story I read. The movie version is equally amazing!

@fiteshanda8 When I was at the bookstore the other day I noticed Bazaar of Bad Dreams. I didn't bother browsing through it though. I was too busy sipping my Starbucks!
Calliekins

Post by Calliekins »

Stephen King is perfect for anyone looking for a chilling novel. Every book is well written and draws you in. It's one of the few authors who successfully write scary novels that don't sound unrealistic or childish.
HorrorFan87
Currently Reading: The Problems of Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horrorfan87.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by HorrorFan87 »

Beautiful_Soul wrote:@HorrorFan87 Wow, I completely forgot that I've read Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption! That was the very first Stephen King story I read. The movie version is equally amazing!

@fiteshanda8 When I was at the bookstore the other day I noticed Bazaar of Bad Dreams. I didn't bother browsing through it though. I was too busy sipping my Starbucks!

It's funny how that works, isn't it? I can't count how many times I've picked up a book that I thought I hadn't read and all of a sudden gotten about 5 pages in only to realize that I own the dang book.

I got Bazaar of Bad Dreams for Christmas this past year...hoping to sit down and read it in the next couple of weeks - I've heard great things!
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

Beautiful_Soul wrote:
rockandroll wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
Oh yeah. This was the first book of his I read and I struggled to finish it! I've heard such good things I thought I was the only one. I re-read it last year to see if it was any better. Some scenes were better than I remembered but overall I still wasn't thrilled :(
Have you seen the movie? Could that had an effect on your opinion? I have not read the Shining but I understand Kubrick changed it quite a bit
I just recently watched the movie alteration of The Shining. It had the most eerie music! I couldn't really get into the movie, it seemed really slow, and it didn't have any of the detail the book had. I really enjoy figuring out what is going on, what the supernatural element is, and I thought it was a great book.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Return to “Discuss Authors”