Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Mexahontas
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mexahontas.html

Re: Stephen King

Post by Mexahontas »

So, I recently decided that I wanted to read more of Stephen King's book since I have not read many in the past. I already posted about "A Good Marriage" which I enjoyed. I then read "1922" which is about a farmer who (SPOILER) convinces his young son to help him plot murdering his wife (the boy's mom) because she wants to see her land that she inherited from her father to a huge hog company. They ended up being successful at killing her but with dire consequences. This story was suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. I did not know what would happen next and I had to keep reading to find out. In other words, I really really enjoyed the short story and highly recommend it.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've read a lot of Stephen King--both novels and short stories--but lately I've been wondering if I'll ever have time to read them all. Right now I'm almost done with the Dark Tower series--I'm about halfway through volume 7. It's a sometimes long read, but it has details that keep me interested enough to continue. For example, some of the characters are also from other Stephen King books. One of the characters IS Stephen King. Some characters are named after other authors. There is so much detail, and what you notice will depend on what else you've read.

I've read a lot of great authors. I think King is one of the best.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
meigui22
Favorite Author: Tolstoy

Post by meigui22 »

unfortunately I haven't read any of his books, but I will surely read
JadePhenix
Favorite Author: Poe
Currently Reading: the wife, the maid, and the mistress
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadephenix.html

Post by JadePhenix »

I used to LOVE reading anything by King, but here lately I've been less than impressed and felt that my purchase was a waste. Is it him or is it me? Can you outgrow an author?
ostara11
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility

Post by ostara11 »

Stephen King is the master of his domain. I love his books although, I use the read one page.... Gasp, put the book down for five minutes then continue method of reading his books. The point is he can reel you in and keep you in with his style of writing. if you like spine-tingling novels then his books are for you.
Emma_Saundors

Post by Emma_Saundors »

hi. I'm from Russia. writing fiction. trying to write )))) I want to find friends. Wanted to ask if anyone writes in the genre of horror and can you write a story or biography by today's stars. An example of this actor Eddie Redmayne Bio only on the main photo, make up a story in the genre king! )))))
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

JadePhenix wrote:I used to LOVE reading anything by King, but here lately I've been less than impressed and felt that my purchase was a waste. Is it him or is it me? Can you outgrow an author?
I find he's either hit or miss. My favorites from him are probably Pet Sematary and Misery, both very suspenseful and Pet Sematary was one of the only books to really freak me out. But at the same time I found Doctor Sleep and The Shining (I know, blasphemy!) to be not nearly as enthralling. I actually couldn't wait for them to be over. I feel like some of his characters and situations repeat; drunks, bad marriages, kids with special abilities or kids being killed. But he is still fantastic and can knock out some amazing and entrancing stories.
tracya1331
Currently Reading: Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracya1331.html

Post by tracya1331 »

I would definitely start chronologically, with Carrie. However, his second novel Salem's Lot is also very good. It is like a modern day re-telling of Dracula, set in a small town in Maine. Very creepy especially if you live in the country.
tracey clark
Currently Reading: Stories in Green Ink
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by tracey clark »

I had a well meaning (but crazy aunt) read Gerald's Game to me as a bedtime story when I was 12... yep, that what I said, 12... I think I would have enjoyed it at an older age... but Stephen King is like Jaws for me... lol... even thinking of reading one of his books freaks me out...
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I adore Stephen King. Salem's Lot is a great book in my opinion because of the creativity he gave and the level of destruction he brings to this book. Stephen King is like a naughty little secret, many times the antagonists get what is coming to them, but not without sacrifices on the part of the protagonists. Stephen King always has a interesting psychological component to his books, and he explores what humans do in their adversity and in the face of something so much bigger and evil than themselves. But sometimes the evil is solely in the hearts of normal humans.
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
E_Goodwin
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 922">Harry Potter</a>
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-goodwin.html
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez

Post by E_Goodwin »

Bag of Bones is my all time favorite from him. I have read it more times the I can count. The Talisman and it's sequel The Black House are also amazing.
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez
Marylouise

Post by Marylouise »

The Shinning was my first MANY years ago. Since I've read all of his books except the short stories. I'm just not a fan of short stories by anyone. My favorite book of King is The Stand. Different from his other works. If you enjoy an end of days novel try it. A bit outdated but still a wonderful story. Personally I love doomsday, end of time, so it was right up my alley.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Marylouise wrote:The Shinning was my first MANY years ago. Since I've read all of his books except the short stories. I'm just not a fan of short stories by anyone. My favorite book of King is The Stand. Different from his other works. If you enjoy an end of days novel try it. A bit outdated but still a wonderful story. Personally I love doomsday, end of time, so it was right up my alley.
I forgot to mention The Stand! That's a great one, very long but nothing wrong with that. I read this during head cold season around here, so it added a little extra horror to my life. ;-)
Marylouise

Post by Marylouise »

The very long is part of the attraction for me. If I can get a hold of a book that is so good I can't put it down, I hate to see them end!
readingmommy2016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingmommy2016.html

Post by readingmommy2016 »

I have to admit that I am not really a Stephen King reader. I am a big chicken and found too many times that after I'd finish reading I would be afraid to go to sleep. Yes I am that big of a chicken. :D Anyway, I recently went for a different approach after being recommended to read King's mystery novel "JOYLAND". This was just the right amount of King for me. Not scary but suspenseful with a great ending. I would definitely recommend.

Return to “Discuss Authors”