Any thoughts on Franz Kafka's, the Trial

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
nerdgirlNV
Bookshelf Size: 0

Any thoughts on Franz Kafka's, the Trial

Post by nerdgirlNV »

I just received this as a gift (my friends seem to like to give me books... mmm wonder why??? lol). Anyway, they hadn't read it, and I don't really know much about it other than what I read on the back cover.

Has anyone else read this? Is it worth the time???
Justine44
Favorite Book: Sons and Lovers -D.H. Laurence
Currently Reading: Portnoys Complaint-Roth

Post by Justine44 »

One of my favorite reads of all time. Kafka and all his works are amazing. His short stories and Letter to His Father also worth reading.
Anais Nin-And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

Jase - RV for us stands for Redneck Vacation.
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

great book, strange and troubling. I also like the metamorphosis, and the Castle, as well as his short story the hunger artist. thank god his friend did not fulfill Kafka's deathbed wish.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Yes, it is an amazing book. It was the first book I've ever read for Kafka and it was an amazing and a new experience.
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

I liked this read, read it for my Crime & Delinquency class in college haha
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I really, really liked this book. It's a surrealism novel so a lot of things about it seem disorienting or out of place even though the sentence structure in the novel is extremely simple. It's a frustrating, wonderful novel. I didn't really understand the point when I was reading it for college, but I did some research on it later, and apparently it was supposed to be about Jewish trails around World War I. The book completely demonstrates that level of confusion. Kafka was an awesome writer.
Ealin
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Ealin »

I read this in school. I really enjoyed talking about it and analyzing it more so then actually reading it. It leaves you frustrated and confused and is one giant metaphor. It is incredibly interesting to read. I am certainly reading more books by him now.
fidelarmus
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by fidelarmus »

Admire Kafka's work for the surreal nature. Style very much philosophically circumferential. Curiously
provokes our own human innate locus per such vague control modus. Will warn that this text can be a bit dark amid it's cryptically structured metaphors.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I learned about Kafka while researching about Mois Benarroch, author of a book I chose to review. Kafka is a major influence in Benarroch's works. Kafka is widely regarded as one of the major figures of 20th century literature. He explored themes of alienation, existential anxiety, guilt, and absurdity. If you are after the serious stuff that literature classes toil to interpret, then Kafka is for you.
verbals
Currently Reading: The Moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 583

Post by verbals »

My thought on The Trial; the crime which is punished seems clear from the start of the book yet the criminal appears to be unaware of his own transgression; the society around him acts as if the crime itself goes without saying. So as an exploration of how this particular crime goes unpunished in our world to the extent that the criminals don’t even accept that they are doing anything wrong, The Trial is suitably ambiguous; it is part of its genius.

So what’s the crime? :D You see I think it should be obvious especially in our present world. I don’t think you can go too far into The Trial without it being clear but you have to bring your own idea of what is right or wrong to the book and I think Kafka leaves it to the reader to do so. Now whether this particular crime is a hanging matter is another thing altogether!

Return to “Discuss Authors”