Where do you think authors get their inspiration?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Where do you think authors get their inspiration?

Post by moderntimes »

Gerald, I agree with you in a certain way. Being a private eye novelist, my principal story line is deliberately invented depending on the theme of the novel. For example, my newest book, in progress, is about deep betrayal of a friend. So with that in mind, I thought about a group of Vietnam and Gulf War vets who are close buddies, but one or two of them betrays the others. And so the principal plot of the book is intentionally created, and I focus on that single major thread first. And aside from cooking up the plot idea, there is no inspiration, just deliberate, focused plotting and scheming for a good story line.

But then, since my stories are modern day and realistic, I use, as you say, all sorts of other inspirations from my own life and experiences, and from things which I've seen or read about, except of course no plagiarizing.

For example, my wonderful live-in girlfriend enjoys watching goofy action movies and TV shows. And when someone gets shot dead or maybe crushed flat by some demonic robot, she'll say, totally deadpan, "ouch" -- which makes me laugh. And so the new girlfriend of my private eye does this herself. Now this fictional character is in no way like my real life gal. I only borrowed this one humorous treat from her.

Likewise, I'll create characters from real life friends -- maybe I'll have a real life pal who's a computer engineer, and I'll take him and make him an architect but with the same physique and speech patterns. None of this of course is negative toward the friend. Or I might take a friend's physical description only, but make the character a totally different person from the real one.

What I have to be careful about is to have read a mystery thriller from a famous author six months previous, and then accidentally "think up" a plot sequence which in fact is borrowed from that book. It can happen totally accidentally with zero purpose of stealing the story idea.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Gerald Chukwu
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Gerald Chukwu »

Yeah. Sounds like my kind of inspiration. Imagination, subconscious, and little triggers. Spot on!
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, it works for me. 3 novels, 4th in progress, lots of short stories, etc.

In all truthfulness, I am never lacking in ideas or inspiration. It's the process of getting those ideas down onto the page (screen, actually) which is the challenge.
Gerald Chukwu
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Gerald Chukwu »

Well while some people struggle to get in the mood, for some it comes naturally. I think you fall into that category, likewise me. I started writing while I was in high school. Mostly disorganized things I knew would never be published. However my immediate elder brother died and I was sparked into life. I now have 13 novels. Six in paperback, 6 in ebook format and close to 7 completed drafts. And some of my friends wonder how I do it.
DABale_Publishing
Currently Reading: Think Before You Speak
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by DABale_Publishing »

Inspiration comes in many forms. For some it's a catharsis to help deal with past trauma. For others it comes in the form of vivid dreams from imagination. A lot comes from just a passion for a specific era in time. Now whether that inspiration translates into a good or bad book is totally up to the skill of the writer, which can be taught to some degree. :-)
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I guess I'm a bit different from most here. I rarely have any personal trauma or family difficulties or other personal things which spark a story line or a plot.

All my stories are simply cooked up by thinking, "I want to write about.... hmmm... a careful vampire? a strange tale of suspense? a monster which lurks upstairs in the apartment just above where the poor guy lives?"
Metka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 80">Mutant Message Down Under</a>
Currently Reading: Forever in your Embrace
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metka.html

Post by Metka »

It can be the nature, the people, history, the environment, other artistic works,.. You name it. There are so many things that can inspire us. The usage of imagination is also crucial when it comes to writing. You have to crate your characters, the enviroment the live in, the main plot,... It's similar to writing a script. You have to create details that make the book interesting,.. For example, just to describe how one hero will look like,.. You can play with colors, moods, happenings,... so many things,..
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Everyday life, unique life experiences, imagination and experiences of others are just a few things I think authors draw upon to get story ideas.
Olivia Parker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-parker.html

Post by Olivia Parker »

I think authors get information from the world around them, and life experiences, too. Even if a book is totally not about the world around them, there are still details embedded into their stories.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Everyday life can be a great source for stories.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I guess authors get their inspiration from life itself, from their experiences of love, loss, agony etc
just wanna read
Currently Reading: Dark Stranger The Dream
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-just-wanna-read.html

Post by just wanna read »

A budding author once told me that characters spoke to her and told her to tell thier story. What ever works I guess.
Michelle
Shabellabook29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabellabook29.html

Post by Shabellabook29 »

They are inspired by things they are passionate about or the experiences of themselves and those around them. Other mediums serve as inspiration for story ideas as well, such as; finding meaning in photographs, overheard conversations, dreams etc. Every day people they may have came across may inspire a character for a book.
MistyRenee72

Post by MistyRenee72 »

I would hope from their life experiences....or possibly through the observation of a loved ones experience!
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

It probably is life experiences, but really, I guess anything. I mean, it's possible to get inspiration and ideas from anywhere. You could be happily eating a doughnut when an idea comes to you. I guess their point of view and opinion on different things can affect how they write.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Return to “Discuss Authors”