Your favorite unpopular authors...

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
alex_
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Re: Your favorite unpopular authors...

Post by alex_ »

Nancy E. Turner
Simatwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Simatwa »

I like the work of Ngugi wa Thiong'o whose books are relevant in most African states who took over coloniasts and instead frustrated most of their African colleaques
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

She used to be popular, but now she is probably considered 'outdated'.

Eleanor Hibbert wrote under several pseudonyms for decades, including historical fiction, neo-gothic, and more.

As Jean Plaidy she wrote historical fiction chronicling English history from the Norman Conquest until the death of Queen Victoria, with a gap during the Interregnum. These can be dividing into several miniseries, focusing on one dynasty. She also had several books focusing on the consorts of some of the kings.

As Victoria Holt she wrote neo-gothic novels. There are many of the tropes common to the genre - creepy castles, exotic locations, romance, classism, and so on - combined in various ways. These were stand alone novels, usually set during the Victorian era with a few set in contemporary times, but including various locations such as Cornwall, India, Asia, and so on.

As Philippa Carr she wrote a series, Daughters of England following a family of mothers and daughters from the reign of Henry VIII until WWII. The family is often on the perimeter of major historical events, e.g. the English Civil War and the French Revolution among others.

She wrote under other pseudonyms, but those were the main three and sometimes novels were republished under one of her main three pseudonyms.

While some parts have not aged well - some of the male leads are really creepy and have questionable ethics plus some of research she used in her historical fiction is now outdated - there are some really fun stories to be told. She generally tried to research the eras she wrote about. Some of the more recent historical fiction authors were influenced by her work.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Lincoln cole..i haven't found people talking about him and i think he is unpopular not sure though.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

My current favourite unpopular author is one who has as large a following as she has a flock of people who dislike her. Many people that I know in the reading community really dislike Sarah J Maas, particularly for the way she wrote her Throne of Glass series but I actually don't mind her. Granted I'm tempted to dislike her sometimes but when I really think about it, I actually don't.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

I don't know of any. All the authors i like have many fans.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

i don't know if his unpopular or not but hes one of the best thriller authors out there. Hes french. Pierre Lemaitre. Read Alex by him and you'll absolutely love it. the plot is so geniusly created and the twist and turns are so good. try it. worth every minute of your time.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D

Return to “Discuss Authors”