Nietzsche

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
kafka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Nietzsche

Post by kafka »

Hello, I have a few questions about this philosopher. First of all, I haven't a good preparation in philosophy, I have studied (I am studying yet) it at school but I haven't ever read books that debate of philosophy. I am reading “Thus Spoke Zarathustra”, it is beautiful and poetic but I am finding a lot of problems with the interpretation of his philosophy. The question is: “is possible to understand (at least partially) the philosophy of Nietzsche without a solid preparation? What are the books that I need to read to start”"

P.s. English is not my first language, I am sorry for the mistakes.
Russell Burke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68

Post by Russell Burke »

It's true, much of what Nietzsche says is hard to grasp, and the difficulty of getting a general sense of his philosophy is compounded by the fact that his body of work is quite extensive. Two books prominent in the field of Nietzsche studies that you might find useful are Walter A. Kaufmann's Nietzsche: Philosopher, Psychologist, Antichrist and Arthur C. Danto's Nietzsche as Philosopher.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I think it's pretty difficult to just start with that book, without understanding the context of the time from which it arose. I would suggest you do some basic reading first. Maybe a more generic introduction to philosophy? Alternatively the 'very short introduction' books from the Oxford University Press (OUP) - each one about an individual philosopher - have been recommended to me, but I can't speak about them from experience.
Vg345
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vg345.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Vg345 »

I would recommend Jordan Peterson Youtube lectures if you don't already watch those. He talks a lot about Nietzsche and his works. I really feel like that would be helpful. You could also try reading Carl Jung's works. He studied Nietzsche's works extensively, or so I hear. They're on my reading list but I haven't started yet. I'm currently reading the Gulag Archipelago.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

This is the audio chapter on the section devoted to Nietzsche taken from Will Durant's best selling book, The Story Of Philosophy. I highly recommend it - both the chapter and the book. Durant is one of the most eloquently styled writers of nonfiction I have ever read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4i11923V04
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I would advise you not to read Nietzche, as he is a terrible philosopher. It has been said that Hitler took many of his philosophical principles to persuade people about his ideology.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

You picked up the most challenging book, to begin with. This work should be the last one you should read. I advise starting with a more superficial book like Beyond Good and Evil.

Return to “Discuss Authors”