Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Metka
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 80">Mutant Message Down Under</a>
Currently Reading: Forever in your Embrace
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metka.html

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Metka »

I agree with the first post - the opening of the topic. But I couldn't really say that a woman is a better writer or the opposite. Men and women have different skills, which all turn out amazing!
Tazo
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tazo.html

Post by Tazo »

I'm not gonna say men are better but my favorites writers are men.
DABale_Publishing
Currently Reading: Think Before You Speak
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by DABale_Publishing »

Generalizing never works. As a woman, I hate reading romance because of the squishy, unrealistic sap and drip feature. I prefer reading (and writing) mystery and thriller novels. As with anything related to writing/reading, subjectivity comes into play. I've read both good and bad male writers of different genres, and I've read good and bad female writers of various genres. No one here is right or wrong because it's all subjective opinion. It's great when I can pick up a book where the author name is generic initials so as to avoid any bias whatsoever. Therefore, I can base my opinion on the book blurb only when deciding whether to buy.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I have read enough from both male and female writers to honestly say, I have no clue who writes better. I think a lot of views can be skewed depending on your history or reading and the genres you prefer. When I was younger, I would have said James Patterson (crime/thriller) or Steven King (thriller) were the best, but I have broadened my library to include so many more authors, like J.K. Rowling (fantasy), Randi Cooley Wilson (paranormal romance), Amy Bartol (fantasy), and Nenia Campbell (horror/thriller). I do not care who writes it, as long as it is good!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Alexa_Fernandez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexa_Fernandez »

I've never had a preference. I've found both genders to be good and bad, and I am just a fan of a certain novel writing style. What the author's sex is doesn't come into play.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

The first thought was: men. And I know why. It is not because they are really better but because I have read more books written by men. Women writers are not so popular, at least they were not in older times so I simple read more books by men.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

Neither. I think it all depends on the person. I've read great books written by men and horrible books written by men. Same with women. It all depends on what they're trying to write and their personal talent.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I have to disagree whole heartedly with this string! I don't think you can say men are better writers in this aspect or women are better writers in that aspect. It really depends on the writer themselves. I think it's thoughts that one gender could be better than another that has led so many authors to write under pseudonyms or simply go by initials.
Polecat1
Currently Reading: The bone tree
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Polecat1 »

This cannot be a serious question.
BrandyBeaudin
Currently Reading: unEnchanted (An unfortunate tale)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandybeaudin.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BrandyBeaudin »

Since I am a woman I do believe I am suppose to bias and say woman are better writers however that is just not the case in everything! I have found this to especially true when comes to erotica and sexual selections this being because even though it is emotional it's also animalistic and men seem to capture that better for me! This is not saying that romances written by woman are not any good they could just learn a thing or two from a man!!!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
a_ring
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-ring.html

Post by a_ring »

i don't think you can say that either men or women are better at writing. It's all about individuals, their experiences, beliefs, and style. There are multiple personalities, interests, and differences even within each gender. For example, you my have a woman who is less emotional than what is stereotypically the norm or a man more in touch with personal feelings. Yes, in general women are more emotionally tuned and it frequently occurs in their writing but this is not always the case. Gender has nothing to do with literary tendencies and I sincerely hope people do not limit their reading choices accordingly.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I think it totally depends on the author. I read mostly women writers for women's fiction and historical fiction. The mystery genre I think I read both men and women authors.
marles
Favorite Author: Margaret George
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 7">Memoirs of Cleopatra</a>
Currently Reading: Anna Karennina
Bookshelf Size: 27
fav_author_id: 12655

Post by marles »

I think it depends on the subject. I don't think for the most part men are very good with their depictions of strong women. I tend to lean towards Historical Fiction, and I much prefer women authors for that.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

This is a hard one to answer. Right now I would have to say women. There are only 2 men authors I am reading up on right now that have decent luck with their books. The authors I am into right now are all women.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

StephenKingman wrote:Men are better at writing thrillers and horror, as their logical and technical minds transfer better over print. Women are great at all that romance and touchy feely stuff. Alice Sebold would be a much better author were it not for the limitations of her gender- in practically all her books, she tangentialises at key stages of the book to explore the inner thoughts and feelings of her main character which is very intrusive and not at all appropriate to the situation at hand, whereas male writers tend to concentrate on the action first.
Nice gender equality viewpoint! Talent is what signifies a great writer. Someone who can communicate complex issues whether from a technical point of view or from an emotional perspective is the mark of a great writer. I am not sure that gender has anything to do with it. Perspectives may differ a bit, but I am quite certain that intelligent writers will research in order to understand and connect to the perspectives of characters in their stories that are of opposing gender so that the story has authenticity in dialogue and in the humanity. To speak of an author's limitations due to her gender is, for lack of a better word, belittling. Women are often concerned with the feelings of others in order to understand the motivations that are behind actions. This may be why Sebold shares this inner dialogue with her readers. What interrupts the flow for you, may make the character more real and allow other readers to empathize with the character.

Return to “Discuss Authors”