Who's a better writer, men or women?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Graceia
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Who's a better writer, men or women?

Post by Graceia »

I would not want to peg writing to gender because I believe those who choose to write, put in their all. Sometimes, the all could be disappointing but the authors are better placed than those unable to put the flow of thoughts to paper.
I choose books to read based on titles and not authors. However, it just happens that most of the books I read are mostly written by men. This is not to say that women are lesser writers or men greater writers.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I believe it depends on the talents of the individual...not really on the gender. Of course, often times women will be better and writing certain things than men, such as romances, and men may tend to be better at writing horror, for example. However, that is simply based off of stereotypes, and anyone can be good at writing anything. It all depends on personality, talent, and experience.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

You know, I have never really thought of this until you posed the question... looking at my bookshelves and recalling the books that I have read over time. I suppose I have read from more female authors then males in my time. Also that the first interesting book I had read growing up was also a female author that went on to write several in a series and became remarkably successful, J. K. Rowling. I believe women are caretakers and they really tend to think a great deal about what they are doing and take great care in making sure things make sense or play out right. Men are highly-capable and good writers too though!
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

There are excellent writers that tell their tales and you forget everything about them(the author). In those pages, the only thing you know is the story being told. Those are the greats and they can be of any gender and span all genres.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

It seems a bit silly to me wanting to distinguish between men and women when it comes to writing. This should be a matter of talent, ability and even commitment; there's no such thing as distinguishing by gender in these cases. Of course, there are certain cultural and educational factors when it comes to discerning literary genres; it is likely that in most cases women are more natural to write romance or books for children, while men might be prone to write thrillers and action. We must also consider the progress of women in terms of social recognition; women have gained territory in fantasy, for instance, although it still seems that science fiction (unlike the speculative one) proves a difficult field for them to conquer.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I think that before discussing general differences that may or may not be there, it should be said that historically women have been silenced so there is overall less material to take into account on their part.

That said, Mary Shelley invented science fiction so my respect for like authors tends to lean accordingly.

I can't say I'm particularly well-read but I don't think I can say that there are any discernable differences amongst authors unless the comparison is one on one.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Judging by my on library, I'd have to say both. I've read amazing and terrible books by both sexes and had disappointments from series I used to love by both. Yes, there are a lot of women that write romance which I personally can't stand, but I've known of men that excel in the area. There are also several women that I've come across in comedy and thriller genres that I prefer. It's really a matter of skill and original ideas, which anyone can have.
[kp]
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by [kp] »

I know a ton of men who write romance under a female pen name. Unfortunately when it comes to the romance/erotica genre, it holds true as female dominated. Sci Fi is dominated by men. The reason JK Rowling used initials instead of her given name was not mistake - it was done so that a woman's story would be taken seriously.

Women have struggled in the writing world because for a long time, women couldn't get published because they were, well, women. Those few that did were either well connected or allowed to publish poetry predominantly.

Personally, as a writer, I tend to lean more toward male dominated stereotypes (action, horror, thriller, sci fi, and lean far away from the emotional side). It doesn't make me a better or worse writer.

I feel like this question should have been: "Which is better, a good writer or a bad writer?" Because that is a question that, while still extremely subjective, can at least be quantified with more calculated reasoning.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

I think to be fair to both sides, the statistics of award winning books or popular writings should viewed.I guess you would expect more men than women.
Books are lovely.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Sorry ladies! I think men are better authors than women. To me men have a wider outlook on things than women so make for better authors than women any day..
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

Based on my reading experience, women tend to be better at describing relationships and telling stories -- they are more likely to write very plot driven books that can be easily summarised in a few sentences. Men, on the other hand, tend to be better at writing about the environment; building worlds, writing about travels and adventures, etc.

As for which is a better writer, that would depend on the interest of the reader. For me, I'm more interested in adventures and fantasy worlds and the like, so I tend to gravitate towards male authors. But if I want to read something cozy, then I'll probably look among female authors.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Everybody is an individual. I never like sweeping statements, they cannot be right in a world of such diversity.
There are many women writers who write under a male pseudonym to avoid being dismissed as chic lit unread. The Brontës wrote as men because their passionate and violent subjects were deemed unsuitable for women.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
mshogrider67
Favorite Book: The Haunting of Dove Cote house
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by mshogrider67 »

That's a hard question. I think it more depends on the story line. Some books need a male or female point of view to make them really happen. Sometimes men can be too sappy when a female is writting, but others can be strong as nails. Woman can be a bit to needy in some male point of views but also in the female point. So for me it's a 50/50
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Both? I've read books written by both genders, and they do just fine.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I don't think it depends on gender. It definitely has to do with the talent, dedication, and passion of the individual.

Return to “Discuss Authors”