Does anyone thing the Nicholas Spark is like a GREAT WRITER?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Re: Does anyone thing the Nicholas Spark is like a GREAT WRI

Post by Dando »

Maybe not great, but he sure is a smart writer. He knew how to turn his skill into an empire, which few people can do!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I wouldn't call him great, but he does write entertaining books, and they are a bit more enjoyable than others I've read. I'd also agree with Dando in that he is smart enough to have managed to become a best-seller and have movies made out of so many of his books.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
literarylover+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarylover.html

Post by literarylover+ »

I have a love/hate relationship with his books. I loved several books including "A Walk to Remember", but others were just too tragic for me. I haven't read any in a long time because his endings were getting to be repetitively tragic!
Epicrealist
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-epicrealist.html

Post by Epicrealist »

literarylover+ wrote:I have a love/hate relationship with his books. I loved several books including "A Walk to Remember", but others were just too tragic for me. I haven't read any in a long time because his endings were getting to be repetitively tragic!
You know, you're actually right about that. I don't like the sad endings all the time. Aren't we all used to having happy endings at the end of most books? lol
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I think Nicholas Sparks is a smart businessman who knows how to cater to his particular audience, and I really do applaud him for that. His storytelling skills are very basic for me; and while I found them to be enjoyable and relaxing when I was a teenager, I outgrew them very quickly because of the repetition.

I met Nicholas when I was in college and I really enjoyed the experience. I do think he's talented in some ways, but as far as writing goes, I find his talents to be mediocre.
shelbyrenee90

Post by shelbyrenee90 »

I think Nicholas Spark is a good author. His books are so captivating and interesting.
jonesh91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesh91.html

Post by jonesh91 »

I think he tells good stories for sure, though I don't particularly like his writing.
hollynewhouse
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollynewhouse.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hollynewhouse »

I think he is an amazing romance writer and a master story teller. I love his unique writing ability and, prose, and ability to describe and set the scene.
Chanensassy22
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanensassy22.html

Post by Chanensassy22 »

I love reading Nicholas Sparks. One thing about his books is that they are a pretty easy read. I finished The Best of Me in 2 days. He is a realist writer, when I say that I mean he writes books about love, tragedy, failure, success. There is no fairytale. Real life issues are always a guarantee with him. I have almost all of his books. Sometimes though I walk away feeling drained because every once in a awhile I want that happy ending. I have to make sure I'm ready to read one of his novels.
House_wife
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-house-wife.html

Post by House_wife »

Easy to read and keep your interest.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I love his books, or most of them anyway. I like most of the movies as well. There are still quite a few that haven't been made into movies yet though. A Bend in the Road, The Rescue, The Wedding, True Believer, At First Sight are ones that haven't been made into a movie, yet. I am looking forward to the Longest Ride movie, and The Choice is being made into a movie as well. I do think he is a great author. In my opinion, he tells some beautiful love stories. My favorites are The Last Song and A Walk To Remember.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

I agree that he writes real-life situations. He doesn't sugar coat anything, and anything is bound to happened. I absolutely love his books (and the movies they were turned into). I think he is extremely talented in his writing, and you'll always get a beautiful romance.
ariesdollface
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariesdollface.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre" by Enrico Massetti

Post by ariesdollface »

this forum topic made me chuckle. only b/c i get it. i think that Sparks has nailed the winning love story formula. & he's engaging...who can't get behind the "every man/woman" in love? i tend to read these books on planes b/c they're super easy to get through, screaming kids are unlikely to derail, & they don't really require a lot of my investment b/c if you've read one, you really have read them all. to answer the question: great writer, i don't think so. but he's nailed his niche
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre" by Enrico Massetti
cammie876
Currently Reading:

Post by cammie876 »

Yes, I do think that Nicholas Sparks books are great. I think one thing he does is he writes on topics that a lot of people can relate to. For, instance Dear John it's about a girl who falls in love with a boy who is in the U.S. Arm Forces, A Walk to Remember is about a girl who has cancer, who is an outsider and the most popular book falls in love with her, and The Notebook it's about love and doing whatever it takes to be with that person never giving up. All of these books are some of the popular ones and they all have one thing in common. LOVE and that's why he is a great writer because LOVE relates to all of us...maybe from someone we loved that had cancer, maybe we weren't the most popular kid in the class, but we found love. Maybe we feel in love with someone in the Arm Forces or know someone that did or maybe we would do anything to be with that one person. That one person that makes us want to get up in the morning, that will be with us until the very end, or the person we can share our every thoughts too.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I just finished The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks and I thought it was a great book. I loved how it weaved two different love stories together. I am looking forward to the movie.

Return to “Discuss Authors”