Does anyone thing the Nicholas Spark is like a GREAT WRITER?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
harleyqgrayson
Currently Reading: The Original Folk & Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyqgrayson.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Re: Does anyone thing the Nicholas Spark is like a GREAT WRI

Post by harleyqgrayson »

I love his books. He is one of my favorite authors. He is preety good, but I don't call him great.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
carang21
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carang21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by carang21 »

I would say that he is a great storyteller, not a great writer. He certainly knows his way through a story, but I think that he could certainly be a better writer. I have read every single one of his books, and they are a good read. I love that he tells a story so in depth and that he has rewritten the topic of love in so many different ways. However, to compare him to "greats" such as Stephen King is just not possible. Sparks is not the best at character development and has not broached more than the topic of love as a theme.
Thesaurus Rex
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesaurus-rex.html

Post by Thesaurus Rex »

I am really curious.... how do you "thing" something???
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Happily Candied wrote:I think Nicholas Sparks is a smart businessman who knows how to cater to his particular audience, and I really do applaud him for that. His storytelling skills are very basic for me; and while I found them to be enjoyable and relaxing when I was a teenager, I outgrew them very quickly because of the repetition.

I met Nicholas when I was in college and I really enjoyed the experience. I do think he's talented in some ways, but as far as writing goes, I find his talents to be mediocre.
You hit the nail on the head. 8) There are a lot of writers out there who are successful due to the reasons you mentioned. There are also a lot of excellent writers who are not successful because they are not good at marketing their books either at all or to the right audience.

-- 12 Apr 2015, 12:56 --
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Happily Candied wrote:I think Nicholas Sparks is a smart businessman who knows how to cater to his particular audience, and I really do applaud him for that. His storytelling skills are very basic for me; and while I found them to be enjoyable and relaxing when I was a teenager, I outgrew them very quickly because of the repetition.

I met Nicholas when I was in college and I really enjoyed the experience. I do think he's talented in some ways, but as far as writing goes, I find his talents to be mediocre.
Wow, very well said. My sentiments exactly.

It is good that you were able to meet him and it was a positive experience.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
4bcews
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 4bcews »

I personally feel his books are a little too overly descriptive. They're very wordy for my taste. I have always enjoyed the movies that are made from his books but whenever I read one I feel like I am saying get to the point.
sheenah1221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheenah1221.html

Post by sheenah1221 »

I don't think that he is a great writer. He is good writer and comes up with good stories. I think because what he writes makes for a fun easy read and is relatable to many people they are more easily turned into movies. I do enjoy reading his books. They are a fun and quick read. I read them as a way to cleanse my palate so to speak. I read all genres from murder mystery to fantasy. So to read a romantic comedy is refreshing.
memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memory.html
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood

Post by memory »

I don't think he will be considered to be one of the "Classic" authors of a generation but I do think his stories are a great way to spend a couple of hours.
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood
paigemiller813
Currently Reading: black-eyed susans
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigemiller813.html

Post by paigemiller813 »

Nicholas Sparks is my favorite romance novelist. However, I have been very disappointed by almost ever movie that has been adapted from his books, except for the notebook. Some may say his books are all the same, but I don't find that true. Sure, they may all be love stories, but each story is its own. Each novel has different characters, different back stories, some even take place in difference eras. Some may find these stories to be unrealistic, but I find them heart warming.
draynes

Post by draynes »

I like the old books that Nicholas Sparks wrote. The more recent books have not been as engaging. I fell in love with "The Notebook" and then again with "The Rescue" and "True Believer". My daughter read "A Fault in Our Stars" so I gave her "A Walk To Remember" and she liked it as well.
kroursler

Post by kroursler »

I agree, I don't think Nicolas Sparks is a great writer but I do enjoy reading his books when I just want to read a nice story. His books are nice to read before falling asleep because they are easy flowing and not very complicated.

I wouldn't classify him as a great writer - that's not why they make so many movies from his books.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I think the reason that so many of his books are turned into movies is because they are easy to turn into screenplays for movie purposes. I have read Dear John and The Last Song and they were both good. I plan to read more of his books though because The Notebook is one of my favorite movies ever.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I actually do find him to be a great writer. I find him to be very creative, although there are some books that I enjoy more than others. The last book I read of his was The Choice and I enjoyed it very much.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by interrupted_girl »

I have read 2 books by him. He is a good writer but for 90's. Back then that gooey, romantic kinda love existed. I find his stories outdated. Like, 50 shades of grey taking over mills and boons?
Thank you?
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think the term great is relative. Everybody will say Shakespeare is a great writer but I personally get a headache after reading his books ( in the original language that he used) if I even get to finish them. I'd say if a writer talks to your heart, then he is great. In that vein, I believe Nicholas Sparks is great. His novels never fail to make me cry too.

Return to “Discuss Authors”